DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So Butch Hartman made Fairly OddParents and Danny Phantom and in those shows, the popular kids are depicted as pretty much being irredeemable hate sinks with no personality outside of being mean. The only times when they begin to act decently is when they lose their popularity or act outside of the norm. So it seems to me he must have had some bad experiences with popular kids growing up

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Judging by his looks he seems like he was probably a popular kid...dude is good looking.

(but Everytime a Butch thread comes up I have to mention his bizarre twist into religion and that Danny Phantom now doesn't actually ghosts of humans, but basically aliens who just think they're human ghosts)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's a weird thing where he totally acknowledges the class politics of wealthier kids bullying less well off ones (even though both the Turners and Fentons seem to be middle class and comfortable) but he frames it in this dynamic more reminiscent of 1950s media and nostalgia where bullies were varsity jacket wearing douchebags. My experience growing up in the late 90s/early 2000s as a middle class kid was bullies were obnoxious class clowns who constantly tagged after you and harassed you, making fun of you verbally - in that sense, Flash in the MCU Spider-Man movies feels a lot more like what I actually experienced.

Hartman's a weirdo in general though. Best to not pull that thread too much.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every character in Fairly OddParents besides the leads had "mean" as their sole personality.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
It's a weird thing where he totally acknowledges the class politics of wealthier kids bullying less well off ones (even though both the Turners and Fentons seem to be middle class and comfortable) but he frames it in this dynamic more reminiscent of 1950s media and nostalgia where bullies were varsity jacket wearing douchebags. My experience growing up in the late 90s/early 2000s as a middle class kid was bullies were obnoxious class clowns who constantly tagged after you and harassed you, making fun of you verbally - in that sense, Flash in the MCU Spider-Man movies feels a lot more like what I actually experienced.

Hartman's a weirdo in general though. Best to not pull that thread too much.
Hartman being a weirdo is an understatement

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Popular kids being assholes to the nerds/outcasts is an old trope dude.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a huge trope in the 80's that follow until the early 2000's.

The trope still lives but it's a fragment of a different time.

Now people realize people are more nuanced so they shake up the trope more.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree.

There was a full episode in Fairly OddParents dedicated to the fact that Trixie was a closeted nerd and is less blatantly awful than the other 3 popular kids, two of whom are just rich and one who's a stalker and is also the butt of a lot of jokes for being garbage

And Danny Phantom had Valerie who chilled out after losing all her money and became a legit good character, and Paulina who only existed to be vapid. And Dash was a blatant expy of Flash Thompson from Spider-Man, right down to bullying the person that he's the biggest fan of.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Danny Phantom had Valerie who chilled out after losing all her money and became a legit good character, and Paulina who only existed to be vapid. And Dash was a blatant expy of Flash Thompson from Spider-Man, right down to bullying the person that he's the biggest fan of.

Sam behaved worst than Paulina and Valerie.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by his looks he seems like he was probably a popular kid...dude is good looking.

(but Everytime a Butch thread comes up I have to mention his bizarre twist into religion and that Danny Phantom now doesn't actually ghosts of humans, but basically aliens who just think they're human ghosts)

You made me google him and I'm not sure if you're kidding. But, even if you do actually think he's good looking now, he definitely could've been bullied in school nonetheless. Glow ups happen.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This has been a "TV shows set in American high schools" trope for decades. It can probably be traced back to Happy Days or something.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Hartman jokingly(?) told Tara Strong that it was her fault Mary Kay Bergman committed suicide?

Maybe he has it out for her since she's a popular voice actress.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of the very first episode of Fairly Odd Parents was Timmy wishing to be popular wasn't it?

I remember the returned back to that episode but from the point of view of Chester and AJ who were trying to discover how Timmy suddenly got popular.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Uh, that actually tracks pretty well with my experiences with popular kids in school.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the one where Fairly-Odd Parents took a shot at The Simpsons and the line was like, "Urgh, all the adults in this cartoon are idiots!". LOL, coming from a cartoon where all of the adult AND child characters are idiots (Fairly-Odd has some of the stupidest toon characters I can think of).

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the 80s and 90s the rich popular jock kids were either assholes or actually evil. Now a rich popular jock kid can be anything they want. It's beautiful.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting timing—I'm a huge game show buff and I was watching an episode of The Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour from 1984. Butch was a contestant. He was 19 here.

EKCZ3qSXkAEfk4G

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Don't him and his daughter claim he based Trixie off her? Also yeah his youtube is a trip, he even had infamous voice actor Vig on pretty recently (well a year ago).