• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The commentating is exactly like you'd see in classic films where radio reporters are on scene during tragedies or catastrophic moments. Think the original Godzilla with the reporter commentating his own demise (think it happens in Minus One as well but I actually forget his fate).

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
He wrote a blog post about it here. It's unhinged nonsense, as expected.

theponzipapers.substack.com

I have set myself on fire outside the Trump Trial.

My name is Max Azzarello, and I am an investigative researcher who has set himself on fire outside of the Trump trial in Manhattan. This extreme act of protest is to draw attention to an urgent and important discovery: We are victims of a totalitarian con, and our own government (along with many...
I legitimately lol'd at the mention of Liquid Death brand water. The rest of it was mostly typical conspiracy nonsense, but that one was so unexpected that it made me laugh.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
In Lisa the Iconoclast, Lisa discovers that town founder Jebediah Springfield was a secret criminal con artist, and that the townsfolk's lives are a lie. Realizing this is an important discovery, she desperately tries to get the townsfolk to listen to her. But they meet her with hostility, apathy, disbelief, and partisanship and she fails to get through to them. Ultimately, she realizes the town is so far gone that perhaps it's better for them to be lied to by con artists, and she keeps the secret to herself.

And here I've been, like Lisa Simpson, desperately trying to get friends, family, and the public to believe the proof of a totalitarian con I'm trying to show them, and they've turned away with hostility, apathy, disbelief, and partisanship.

Talks about the Simpsons on his blog post

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Holy shit that manifesto is something else. He prolly got crypto scammed so got obsessed into uncovering a shadow plot to control the world in his mind.

A phostumus heads up to this dude: There's no conspiracy there's no need for one, it's capitalism and it's fucking you up on broad daylight.

Yeah, I mean things like cryptocurrency is a huge scam and Peter Thiel is a huge asshole are certainly true. But that is just capitalism at work. When he starts to try to weave the Simpsons and the Titan Sub and Virgin Cola into things, it just starts to turn I to I coherent rambling.

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
I mean shit he talks about how you can buy "Liquid Death" at a store, possibly alluding to it somehow being some sort of literal death drink?

He goes between conscious to completely brain broken, but universally lost all at the same time.

This is painful to read...the dude was so far gone.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The Simpsons episode analysis, crypto planetary multi-trillion dollar ponzi schemes, totalitarian doomsday cult, setting himself on fire in front of a criminal court case, sounds like a well adjusted person. The kind of totally sane and level headed person that vote for Trump. /s

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean shit he talks about how you can buy "Liquid Death" at a store, possibly alluding to it somehow being some sort of literal death drink?

He goes between conscious to completely brain broken, but universally lost all at the same time.

This is painful to read...the dude was so far gone.

It's so similar in places to how the QAnon conspiracies go, seeing symbols everywhere that can only mean that leftists must be eating babies to prolong their life.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Yeah, this wasn't a protest against the trial -- he states as much that he was exploiting the attention over it.

The non-sequitur Simpsons conspiracy aside, this feels more sad than anything else. Conspiracy theories are poison and have ruined so many lives.

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
He only used the trial to promote his message.

His conspiracies seemingly weren't specifically attached to either left or right side.

Just some bizarre lost middle...Sadly this is just severely unchecked and untreated mental illness.

Memeing on him would be in very poor taste, imho.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, there's so much of that play by play that she could have left out.

Damn, that blog post reminds me of someone my dad knows. He thought (or still thinks?) that the government has a way to listen to individual people's heartbeats because...reasons? I mean the blog post is 1000x worse than thinking something like that, but it seems to be a very similar way of thinking that there's some huge government conspiracy to do some shit for reasons.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the manifesto - sad, because I think a lot of his beliefs are pretty reasonable (about a global kleptocracy that has a vested interest in stealing our future, disseminating hopelessness, and fostering distrust), but they're filtered through that telltale conspiratorial lens that there's some united cabal infiltrating every aspect of our lives, instead of just a series of systemic problems with no real origin or endgame. There's no united "enemy" to fight and setting yourself on fire isn't going to rally anybody to anything.

It's the same sort of hopelessness that you see in a lot of places on the internet, just very focused, and leading a form of self-harm that's more public than usual.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This is so sad.

Mentally ill and instead of getting help he chose suicide through such an agonizing method. The amount of damage that conspiracy theories have done to people is unfathomable.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man... going through all that, possibly surviving with awful consequences, and some people will still just go around saying he was obviously doing it in support of Trump regardless of what he actually said in that blog.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Reading the manifesto - sad, because I think a lot of his beliefs are pretty reasonable (about a global kleptocracy that has a vested interest in stealing our future, disseminating hopelessness, and fostering distrust), but they're filtered through that telltale conspiratorial lens that there's some united cabal infiltrating every aspect of our lives, instead of just a series of systemic problems with no real origin or endgame. There's no united "enemy" to fight and setting yourself on fire isn't going to rally anybody to anything.

It's the same sort of hopelessness that you see in a lot of places on the internet, just very focused, and leading a form of self-harm that's more public than usual.
I had the same feeling, there's so much where he's so close but then he goes right off the deep end. Super sad, I hate seeing people this far gone.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't some guy do something similar outside the Israeli embassy a few months back?

Wonder if what that guy did had any bearing on this guy choosing to do the same thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't some guy do something similar outside the Israeli embassy a few months back?

Wonder if what that guy did had any bearing on this guy choosing to do the same thing.
www.resetera.com

Aaron Bushnell, US airman, sets himself on fire in protest of Palestinian genocide outside Israeli embassy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/25/politics/man-sets-himself-on-fire-israeli-embassy-washington-dc/index.html He livestreamed it on Twitch and apparently has died from his injuries.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
a lot of people survive for a few days after extreme burns but will eventually die from the injuries. I hope they keep him in induced comma until he passes.
Exactly. >99% of people are not going to survive a total body immolation with that duration of burn time. The vast majority of survivors who have survived near total-body burns are patients who suffered burns from steam, sustained a combination of both 2nd and 3rd degree burns, and/or only had a brief time exposure to the heat source, like an explosion.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
Just, awful imagining that kind of pain. Please don't let self immolation become a new norm....

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
weird/unempathetic way to respond to this

I had just read his manifesto and felt awful for the guy because he was clearly suffering from mental distress and did not make a rational decision to set himself on fucking fire. As someone with worries about my own longterm mental health it struck a cord with me because it's painful to imagine the terror of being in such a dark place. The only weird ass post here is yours.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
TL;DR seems to be that, in his view, crypto like Bitcoin is actually the foundation of the biggest Ponzi scheme in history all orchestrated by fascist governments and rich people and the secret elite, and eventually they plan to let this massive Ponzi scheme collapse and that will apparently trigger an apocalyptic level economic crash across the world, and then all the rich and powerful people will somehow still be rich and powerful, but all of us regular poor people will become worth literally nothing, less than dirt, and we'll all be turned into slaves by the elite in order to have any kind of ability to live at all.

I mean, when you put it like that.