• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I apologize, perhaps you should have more of an issue with the posts in this very thread joking around about the man? As I said, suicide sucks and it's tragic.

Yeah. The haha he was crazy type stuff is really disappointing to see. We still have a ways to go on how we discuss mental illness to say the least. And I don't think bringing up the difference in the Bushnell thread is wrong either. That thread had a lot of gross hero type talk when just like this it was a tragic suicide that shouldn't be glorified.

As someone with bipolar and has had manic episodes where I stopped sleeping for days and lost my grip on reality the whole lol crazy stuff I just don't understand. I would think this place would be better than that.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How did he write his manifesto so quickly after nearly killing himself? The heck?

Or was it written in advance?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean shit he talks about how you can buy "Liquid Death" at a store, possibly alluding to it somehow being some sort of literal death drink?
There's a lot that's unhinged in that manifesto, but he wasn't alluding to Liquid Death being a literal death drink. He was saying things like the apocalyptic marketing of literal water as "Liquid Death" normalizes doomsday thinking in people.

The only real takeaway I have is that CNN is absolute trash.
As it relates to this event, CNN is fine. They turned away from the fire relatively quickly. It's a live event happening in real time, no news organization is going to turn away from that.

Dude really did commit to it! Glad he's okay and hope the burns aren't serious.
He is not going to be okay.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
There's a lot that's unhinged in that manifesto, but he wasn't alluding to Liquid Death being a literal death drink. He was saying things like the apocalyptic marketing of literal water as "Liquid Death" normalizes doomsday thinking in people.

As it relates to this event, CNN is fine. They turned away from the fire relatively quickly. It's a live event happening in real time, no news organization is going to turn away from that.

He is not going to be okay.
I meant more the event viewing nature and commentary over actually seeing the act or anything

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Dr. Phil could tell you he's not going to be okay at all.

I feel like someone gained access to your account or something.
It's a general sentiment when some is injured, in any way. Jeez.

"Hope he recovers"

"Hope he will be well"

Aka not die.

I'm not a burn expert.

Literally yes, I get he's injured badly. I didn't think I had to spell it out.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a trauma surgeon. I just hope the guy survives.
You shouldn't.

Dude, he was fully engulfed in accelerated flames for over a minute and even when they were extinguished, it's not like there was immediate medical help there working on him. You don't need to be a trauma surgeon to realize that if he's somehow still alive to know that he's hopefully in a coma and they keep him in it until he passes.

Perhaps this is too traumatizing for you, I totally get that. If that's the case, you may want to avoid this story. "Hoping he survives," is unrealistically pollyannaish.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I was really not expecting him to talk about some of my favorite episodes of The Simpsons

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
You shouldn't.

Dude, he was fully engulfed in accelerated flames for over a minute and even when they were extinguished, it's not like there was immediate medical help there working on him. You don't need to be a trauma surgeon to realize that if he's somehow still alive to know that he's hopefully in a coma and they keep him in it until he passes.

Perhaps this is too traumatizing for you, I totally get that. If that's the case, you may want to avoid this story. "Hoping he survives," is unrealistically pollyannaish.
Hoping people keep living is not a bad statement at all. Maybe the rest of it was unrealistic but I would hope that saying something hopeful is a good thing?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
He wrote a blog post about it here. It's unhinged nonsense, as expected.

theponzipapers.substack.com

I have set myself on fire outside the Trump Trial.

My name is Max Azzarello, and I am an investigative researcher who has set himself on fire outside of the Trump trial in Manhattan. This extreme act of protest is to draw attention to an urgent and important discovery: We are victims of a totalitarian con, and our own government (along with many...
Social media, owned by crypto criminals like Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk, is flooded with nonsense conspiracy theories and memes reminding us that we are hopeless, helpless, anxious, depressed, ironic, scared, apathetic, escapist, lonely, misguided, and jaded, telling us we can't do anything but have a laugh at our circumstances
There are very brief moments of clarity inbetween the ramblings but like all conspiracy theories it just ends up attributing it all to some secret group of supervillains cleverly orchestrating this all.

Jan 18, 2018
You shouldn't.

Okay I think it's a good time to let off the gas. We ain't really gotta shame folks for saying they hope someone is alright. Let's just move on

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I am dumbstruck by the fact that he's still alive. I made the mistake of watching the video and I can't imagine how someone could survive that, and I don't even want to think about that person's quality of life if they make it through this. Just awful.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be increasingly common, isn't it?
I hope not, it's mostly been used for protests especially in places like Tibet.

I originally thought this was a protest against Trump's criminal trail, but missed the fact that he states at the beginning of his manifesto that he is trying to draw attention against a apocalyptic fascist world coup. He is clearly unhinged and used Trump's high profile trial as the perfect place to draw attention.

AvianAviator

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 23, 2021
I feel kind of bad for him...he set himself on fire for nothing. Skimming through his manifesto, it's complete nonsense. He sacrificed his health and life for shit that isn't real.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If entrement cant reply with broad, polite well wishes without getting dog piled for not being appropriately sad or solemn or whatever enough, then what's the point of even having a thread discussing it? Considering on page 1 when people assumed he was protesting trumps charges people were happily joking along about crazy Trump supporters, but now his blog is out about Clinton child sex rings, kitty Dukakis drug abuse, and a global Ponzi scheme of elite technocrats, and it's like, hey you're not being appropriately solemn enough by wishing this person well and hoping they're okay, aka, not dead. I hope they don't die either, and can get treatment and help, mental and physical.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
If entrenent cant reply with broad, polite well wishes without getting dog piled for not being appropriately sad or solemn or whatever enough, then what's the point of even having a thread discussing it? Considering on page 1 when people assumed he was protesting trumps charges people were happily joking along about crazy Trump supporters, but now his blog is out about Clinton child sex rings and kitty Dukakis drug abuse and it's like, hey you're not being appropriately solemn enough by wishing this person well and hoping they're okay, aka, not dead.
entremets posts were just weird in general

they thought he typed the manifesto while on fire

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
This is going to be increasingly common, isn't it?

Given the sharp downturn of mental health in the United States since Covid, and the ever-increasing proliferation of toxic conspiracy theories on social media…most likely yeah, unfortunately.

And I don't wanna pile on the folks who are wishing the best in this situation for the guy, but as I said earlier in the thread: if he ever wakes up, every moment of his life from now on will be filled with suffering. The most realistic thing to hope for is that he remains unconscious until he passes away. I understand that it is an unpleasant truth, but that is the way of it. This is not something one "gets better" from.

Oct 27, 2017
fl
We had to ban that guy from our bar cause of his crazyness. Like dude tried to sue a company for millions over election results

Flueswonkler

Mar 15, 2022
His posts on Instagram are completely normal up until his mom died. Then it's all conspiracy nonsense. This is really sad.

RaphaBE

Sep 19, 2020
California
Joking about Trump supporters setting themselves on fire (even though he's not even a Trump supporter) - fine. Making gross comments about mental illness - fine. Wishing the guy a good recovery - what is wrong with you, that's so disrespectful! Come on now...

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I hope not, it's mostly been used for protests especially in places like Tibet.

I originally thought this was a protest against Trump's criminal trail, but missed the fact that he states at the beginning of his manifesto that he is trying to draw attention against a apocalyptic fascist world coup. He is clearly unhinged and used Trump's high profile trial as the perfect place to draw attention.

I hope not. But Era has had 2 threads of people lighting themselves on fire lately, hoping it isn't a pattern.

Oct 25, 2017
If entrement cant reply with broad, polite well wishes without getting dog piled for not being appropriately sad or solemn or whatever enough, then what's the point of even having a thread discussing it? Considering on page 1 when people assumed he was protesting trumps charges people were happily joking along about crazy Trump supporters, but now his blog is out about Clinton child sex rings, kitty Dukakis drug abuse, and a global Ponzi scheme of elite technocrats, and it's like, hey you're not being appropriately solemn enough by wishing this person well and hoping they're okay, aka, not dead. I hope they don't die either, and can get treatment and help, mental and physical.
entrement's "well wishes" are as offensively naive as "thoughts and prayers."

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I hope not. But Era has had 2 threads of people lighting themselves on fire lately, hoping it isn't a pattern.

I too hope it is not a pattern of things to come.

I've helped treat burn victims and it is not pretty. Often, you have to use allograft (tissue transplant from another) to cover severely burned areas, especially if autograft is not a viable option.

In one burn victim we performed surgery on, we harvested skin to use as an autograft from another part of his body. I would imagine that this man's burns must be 98% or more. He's gonna see a lot of operating room visits if he manages to make it through.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I too hope it is not a pattern of things to come.

I've helped treat burn victims and it is not pretty. Often, you have to use allograft (tissue transplant from another) to cover severely burned areas, especially if autograft is not a viable option.

In one burn victim we performed surgery on, we harvested skin to use as an autograft from another part of his body. I would imagine that this man's burns must be 98% or more. He's gonna see a lot of operating room visits if he manages to make it through.
From what my dad told me, over 90% burns that bad and likely things need to be amputated. Things go bad real quick when you have literally no skin

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
entremets posts were just weird in general

they thought he typed the manifesto while on fire
I did not. The substack was dated the same day of his protest and in past tense. I did not know the severity of his burn.

can you ask me a question instead of assuming things?

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i think it's pretty clear there's copy cat inspiration going on, and it's incredibly sad. i think fundamentally all people just want to be seen, and this is one of those end points some arrive at when they feel like this is the only way that will happen. at least he didn't hurt other people.

also, maybe this person isn't technically a Trump 'supporter', but if someone makes their dying message literally "Trump is with Biden" it implies Biden is like some greater, controlling evil that Trump fell to. there's a subtext there that's pointed specifically at Trump supporters, a warning of sorts. so we shouldn't be too dismissive about right-wing political ideation or affiliation. essentially, this person thought Dark Brandon memes were reality.