Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Dear Pay Dirt,

My daughter "Isabella" is married to a successful young lawyer and is eight months pregnant with their first child. My first wife and I wanted more children, but it never happened. She lost her battle with cancer when Isabella was 16. I didn't feel like dating again for almost five years. Over the next few years I saw several women, none very seriously. Then, at Isabella's wedding in 2019, I connected with one of her bridesmaids, "Madison," a lovely young woman I'd last seen as a gawky teenager. Isabella was shocked when she found out Madison and I were dating, but didn't expect it to last long. But I just proposed to Madison, and she accepted. I took Isabella out to lunch to tell her. For a minute she almost had a meltdown, but got herself together and said she hopes we are happy together.

Later that night I got an email stating she's worried about her inheritance if Madison and I have children. Specifically, she's afraid my house—a beautiful and unique 1884 Victorian which Isabella grew up in from birth, and is deeply attached to—will go to Madison upon my death, and then to my children with Madison, instead of to her and her children. She feels this would be especially unfair because her mother and I were gifted the house by my in-laws.

So, while she says this is hard for her, she's decided to disallow me any relationship with her unborn son and any future children of hers unless I either transfer the house to her and myself as joint tenants, so she will automatically inherit my share, or to an irrevocable trust with her and her children as beneficiaries. This would prevent me from making a will, then changing it once she's seen it. She says it's fine if I give Madison a life estate so she could continue to inhabit the property, along with Isabella's family, unless she remarries.

Isabella doesn't even know that Madison wants children. But she does, and I think I'm up for it. I'm in my early 50s, in excellent shape, and my parents and grandparents all lived to at least 80. But from the moment I learned Isabella was pregnant, I've also had my heart set on being a grandpa. Should I do as she suggests? Would joint tenancy or a trust be preferable? My biggest concern is that the value of the house (currently over $2 million) may exceed the whole rest of my estate, especially after raising and educating several more children. And Madison has come to love this house as well. In fact, she claims she fell in love with it the first time she came over, in middle school. What would be fair for everyone?

—Vied For Victorian

Dear Vied For Victorian,

I understand your daughter's discomfort with the situation—you can imagine how you'd feel if your widowed mother married one of your high school friends—but it's unreasonable for her to try to extort you with the threat of withholding access to your grandchild if you don't give her the house. And I wonder if Isabella would have the same expectations if you had married someone your own age and, as such, were not going to have children in the future.

Since you don't have any children with Madison at the moment, but plan to, I would hesitate to do anything that you can't modify later if circumstances change, or your future children need things you didn't anticipate, especially while they're still minors. You need something flexible.

Isabella needs to accept that Madison is going to be your wife, and that you have obligations to her that are permanent. She is not an interloper, and for inheritance purposes, should be treated the same way you'd treat anyone you married and planned to grow old with.

But understand also that it must be exceedingly difficult for Isabella to have to readjust her relationship with Madison. If she was a bridesmaid, I assume they were close, and it probably feels to her like Madison has betrayed her and maybe you have, too. Isabella may feel like she's being displaced in your life by someone who was a close friend.

Madison, likewise, needs to understand why Isabella is so attached to the house and try to put herself in Isabella's shoes. She may have known your family for a long time, but she did not grow up in the house, and cannot possibly have the same attachment to it.

I think your best option here is to meet with an estate lawyer and look at options that might satisfy both parties, with the idea that you want to be equitable. Sometimes a third-party recommendation can mitigate the emotional drama around issues like these, and give you a way to reasonably and truthfully say you're trying to do what is fairly standard in these situations. Be clear with both of them that you are not going to play favorites, and threats will not change that.

Dear Vied For Victorian,

I understand your daughter's discomfort with the situation—you can imagine how you'd feel if your widowed mother married one of your high school friends—but it's unreasonable for her to try to extort you with the threat of withholding access to your grandchild if you don't give her the house. And I wonder if Isabella would have the same expectations if you had married someone your own age and, as such, were not going to have children in the future.

Since you don't have any children with Madison at the moment, but plan to, I would hesitate to do anything that you can't modify later if circumstances change, or your future children need things you didn't anticipate, especially while they're still minors. You need something flexible.

Isabella needs to accept that Madison is going to be your wife, and that you have obligations to her that are permanent. She is not an interloper, and for inheritance purposes, should be treated the same way you'd treat anyone you married and planned to grow old with.

But understand also that it must be exceedingly difficult for Isabella to have to readjust her relationship with Madison. If she was a bridesmaid, I assume they were close, and it probably feels to her like Madison has betrayed her and maybe you have, too. Isabella may feel like she's being displaced in your life by someone who was a close friend.

Madison, likewise, needs to understand why Isabella is so attached to the house and try to put herself in Isabella's shoes. She may have known your family for a long time, but she did not grow up in the house, and cannot possibly have the same attachment to it.

I think your best option here is to meet with an estate lawyer and look at options that might satisfy both parties, with the idea that you want to be equitable. Sometimes a third-party recommendation can mitigate the emotional drama around issues like these, and give you a way to reasonably and truthfully say you're trying to do what is fairly standard in these situations. Be clear with both of them that you are not going to play favorites, and threats will not change that.

Let's recap

1. Father marries daughter's bridesmaid, that he's known since she was a literal child.

2. Plans to have kids with her at age 50+

3. Moved her into his daughter's childhood home, that was gifted to him by his dead wife's family. This was his wife's family house, not his.

4. Daughter rightfully knows that she's going to lose that house to her, I'm praying formed best friend, gives him an ultimatum

5. The Advice columnist side steps all this abs basically treats what this father dead has borderline benign and tells him not to take sides, and basically validates the absolute fucked up shit this fathed is doing

6. This gets printed for everyone to see

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
did everyone just decide to be very public about being weird overnight? what's with this influx lol

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Dude why are people so fucking creepy? I could never in a million years imagine putting my daughter through this. Fuckin a

Dude is a douchebag

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
And I wonder if Isabella would have the same expectations if you had married someone your own age and, as such, were not going to have children in the future.

Gee I wonder if she would have a different reaction if this situation were entirely different in a way that eliminates her clearly stated worries and was much less squicky? Like, what are they implying here? I don't think it's unreasonable for her to be worried that she'll never get her childhood home that came from her mother's side of the family as inheritance when her dad's out porking people her age.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just sitting here wondering what a 2 million dollar house would look like, or what it would feel like to live in it.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
did everyone just decide to be very public about being weird overnight? what's with this influx lol
This has been normal for a while now. It just seems to be out in the open now. Work in the restaurant industry and you'll see old ass men trying (and succeeding) to date high school girls.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Probably fake. Those texts always include too many details which are written in a way to rile you up, when people who actually do stuff like this would leave those details out, downplay them or frame them in a way to make themselves look better. Same thing with many reddit posts about similar topics.

Example:

Then, at Isabella's wedding in 2019, I connected with one of her bridesmaids, "Madison," a lovely young woman I'd last seen as a gawky teenager.

In fact, she claims she fell in love with it the first time she came over, in middle school.

Lmao. The writer of this is trying way too hard.

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
This sounds like a story I saw someone recite on TikTok but from the friend/bridesmaid's POV with the daughter/friend not knowing.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
My biggest concern is that the value of the house (currently over $2 million) may exceed the whole rest of my estate, especially after raising and educating several more children. And Madison has come to love this house as well. In fact, she claims she fell in love with it the first time she came over, in middle school. What would be fair for everyone?
come on man what the fuck

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I don't see what's terrible here aside from the daughter holding a relationship with the guy's grandson hostage in exchange for a house.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what's terrible here aside from the daughter holding a relationship with the guy's grandson hostage in exchange for a house.

Did you miss the whole bit about a 50 year old man fucking a girl he met when she was in middle school with his daughter?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason he won't agree is that he wants to give the house to the new bride, which is pretty fucked since he's only in that house to begin with by marrying his daughter's mom.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
Man, I know the whole thing sounds messed up on paper, but we don't really know all the details so it feels weird to have everyone jump all over the dad and not mention the daughter. Yes, old men dating women they met as children is weird, but unless there was grooming or weird shit going on, I'm not going to judge how other people fall in love.

I will, however, judge someone who feels that they are entitled to something from their parents. I expect nothing from my parents and would never dream of trying to blackmail them to get something from them.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Her dad married her bridesmaid that he's known since she was a child and is clearly gearing up to freeze his daughter out of inheritance in favor of his soon to be new set if children with his daughter's close friend who "just loves this house"

The Father should be grateful all she wants is her mother's house

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Cut the house in half down the middle and give the daughter and new bride one of the halves each.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know. This is a pretty rational response from all parties and would be a really tough situation to be in.

The daughter using her family as leverage is kind of weak, but this guy is delusional if he thinks it is purely about the house.

I've never seen anything tear families apart as fast as bad blood over property inheritance.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. This part stands out to me more than the "what do I do" question. It seems pretty unlikely that the daughter would immediately jump to blackmail before she even got an answer as to what he was planning to do.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Feels like they both terrible tbh. The pops is plain creepy to the point if true other shady shit happened.

The way its written (and its written very odd tbh) kinda weird for the daughters big concern being her inheritance, but then again capitalism, cant blame her.

snipeywolf

Jun 15, 2022
United States
The concept of marrying someone your daughters age is beyond yuck, but someone you knew when she was a little teenage girl? Holy yuck. There goes my lunch.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
1. The dad marrying a woman he watched grow up is creepy to me. They're consenting adults, but it still feels gross.

2. The daughter is out of line trying to extort her father for that house she has no legal claim to.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Her dad married her bridesmaid that he's known since she was a child and is clearly gearing up to freeze his daughter out of inheritance in favor of his soon to be new set if children with his daughter's close friend who "just loves this house"

Just out of curiosity, would you feel differently if he married someone older but still planned to have more kids?

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California

I don't know the details of their relationship and while it seems strange, I'm not going to just assume anything and judge love between 2 adults. Even the daughter isn't doing that. She just believes she's owed a house. She isn't owed shit.

Deleted member 59

I had a conversation at work today about people assuming they're entitled to an inheritance because a colleague of mine was pissed his parents want to sell their home so they can move into a retirement village and that money covers that for them. His argument was "that's my inheritance they're spending!".

I have zero inheritance coming my way so maybe i think it's wrong to assume what's your parents should be yours.

I wonder if the mom left a will. Did she give her share of the house to the dad or the daughter, or no will at all?

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I know the whole thing sounds messed up on paper, but we don't really know all the details so it feels weird to have everyone jump all over the dad and not mention the daughter. Yes, old men dating women they met as children is weird, but unless there was grooming or weird shit going on, I'm not going to judge how other people fall in love.

I will, however, judge someone who feels that they are entitled to something from their parents. I expect nothing from my parents and would never dream of trying to blackmail them to get something from them.

I'm going to set aside the gross shit in the first half here.

That house, was passed down through her mother's side, the father inherited it after she died, and is likely going to fork over his daughter's generational wealth to her former bridesmaid.

Legally she might not have much to stand on, but that's just fucking immoral.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm usually kind of whatever about age gap romances even though I wouldn't tango in them myself, but ones with this kind of fucky dynamic are always straight up strange to me. The daughter had a rightful inheritance from her mother's family that would utimately be for her children she's concerned about now, which seems valid. She was actually oddly cool with her dad marrying and fucking a childhood friend. Withholding her grandson seems a bit prematurely odd but so does her dad cheating her out of an inheritance passed down from her mother's family, which dad can now give to someone else, by fucking someone her daughter may age and having kids with her that'll bypass his daughter's son. His daughter, whose mother's family was the one with the inheritance. I guess because it was a gift to her dad and mom it's cool if dad gives it to the much younger woman he married and has kids with, which seems bad. But whatever. Welcome to life being shitty.

If this is even for real, which I always kind of doubt with these columns.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
The dynamic of a relationship between a father and her daughter's friend is quite creepy and worthy of all the side-eye imaginable here.

But outside of that, the inheritance advice is something that a lot of people unfortunately have to deal with when their parents remarry. That new spouse is legally entitled to the house, insurance benefits, pension benefits, etc., unless there's some agreement between the parties for it to not go like that. It can definitely suck if the relationship with the step-parent isn't great, but that's legally how it goes.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Just out of curiosity, would you feel differently if he married someone older but still planned to have more kids?

Ultimately the house being from a mother's family heirloom plays heavily in my calculation that the Father should have zero hesitation in giving it to his daughter and not his new wife.

But you also outright can't say well ignore that the Father is marrying his daughter's childhood friend

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Regardless of who the father married, the daughter has every right to want some answers on what he plans to do with the house.

The only reason the dad has the house in the first place is that his in-laws passed it to him and his first wife. When something of that value is passed down, there is some intention it will remain in the family.

Because of that, I can't blame the daughter for some ultimatums. Her willingness to go this far is also justified because her father is going to marry someone her age.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I'm going to set aside the gross shit in the first half here.

That house, was passed down through her mother's side, the father inherited it after she died, and is likely going to fork over his daughter's generational wealth to her former bridesmaid.

Legally she might not have much to stand on, but that's just fucking immoral.

The house was gift from parents to their daughter and son-in-law. It is now the father's to do with what he likes. He can gift it to his daughter if he wishes. But he did his job as a parent in raising his daughter.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

Would the situation be any different if he married a 30 year old that isn't his daughters friend and wanted kids with? He's allowed to remarry. The fact that his new wife is his daughters friend is irrelevant to the inheritance situation imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.