HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
bm_rept_cv1.jpg

SyFy Wire Link

bm_rept_cv1_var.jpg

Garth Ennis (The Boys, Preacher) is teaming up with artist Liam Sharp (The Green Lantern, The Brave and the Bold: Batman & Wonder Woman) for the new DC Comics limited series Batman: Reptilian. The series will run for six issues and focus on a mysterious new creature that's even scarier than Batman while prowling the night.

The mysterious force, which we're assuming is reptilian at least based on the series title, is specially targeting Gotham's rogues. The logline asks: "How savage must a monster be to haunt the dreams of monsters?"

bm_r3.jpg

That's right! The man who had The Punisher shoot off Wolverine's dick, created The Boys (among many other seminal comic books) and long time cape comic despiser has returned and its not The Punisher either. Garth Ennis has a new Batman comic coming out where it sounds like Killer Croc 2.0 is going after Bat's rogues gallery but isn't throwing them in Arkham, just straight up killing them. Knowing Ennis' displeasure at many superheroes even the likes of Captain America it will be interesting to see how he handles things though I'm guessing its going to get fucked up knowing him.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying Garth Ennis has to like superhero comics, they are quite dumb, I'm saying it's maybe kind of silly that you can make an entire career out of hating them the way Garth does where he hangs in and around superhero spaces to write shit like Punisher and The Boys, and that this is just a thing we've accepted as part of superhero fandom.

Hitman was pretty rad though ngl

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying Garth Ennis has to like superhero comics, they are quite dumb, I'm saying it's maybe kind of silly that you can make an entire career out of hating them the way Garth does where he hangs in and around superhero spaces to write shit like Punisher and The Boys, and that this is just a thing we've accepted as part of superhero fandom.

Hitman was pretty rad though ngl
Garth Ennis a talented self aware Mark Millar

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
The only curiosity I have about this series is to see exactly how Ennis will use this opportunity to once again shit on Green Lantern.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought this would be an Alan Moore thread.

To be fair to Moore he's actively had his most popular creation taken from him by DC and that probably doesn't engender positive feelings towards cape comics.

Ennis is just "I hate superheroes" and then spent the rest of his life writing superhero comics.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Thought this would be an Alan Moore thread.
To be fair to Moore he's actively had his most popular creation taken from him by DC and that probably doesn't engender positive feelings towards cape comics.

Ennis is just "I hate superheroes" and then spent the rest of his life writing superhero comics.
Same. I came in expecting Alan Moore 😂😂😭

If there is one person I think will never come back to cape comic, it's Moore. The dude literally had his name taken off the biggest film adaptations and had royalties signed over to the artists he worked with. The man does not give a fuck.

Alan Moore hates everything, not just comics

Alan Moore loves comics, and anyone who has read even some of his worse work can see that love dripping off in their form. He kind of hates superheroes, but the two things are not mutually exclusive.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Was getting ready to read Alan Moore weird sex stuff Batman when it happened to be Ennis instead. Booo.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
So, idk if someone already commented, but that cover kind of clearly implies this "misterious monster" is killer crock right?

May 17, 2019
Alan Moore loves comics, and anyone who has read even some of his worse work can see that love dripping off in their form. He kind of hates superheroes, but the two things are not mutually exclusive.

I'm so sick of the "Alan Moore is just an angry old man" take. The dude devoted his life to the medium and was screwed over repeatedly. And yet he still promoted dozens of up and coming creators, helped other writers, and pumped out fantastic works.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sick of the "Alan Moore is just an angry old man" take. The dude devoted his life to the medium and was screwed over repeatedly. And yet he still promoted dozens of up and coming creators, helped other writers, and pumped out fantastic works.

This. I have utterly respect for Moore and his contributions to the medium.

And only a crazy man would think he will ever work again with the cape industry.

TheJoebro64

Sep 6, 2020
Ennis wrote the greatest Hellblazer story of all time, so I'm in.

Unlike other superheroes, I think Ennis does have some respect for Batman, as in the past he's talked about how The Dark Knight Returns was the first American comic that he actually enjoyed. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that Batman is in good hands.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Liam Sharp getting serious play, and he deserves it. Dude carried Grant Morrison on Green Lantern.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people in this thread talking about all the superhero stories Ennis writes, but in recent years it's a small fraction of his output. He had a spy parody a few years ago (kind of what the Boys was to superheroes it was to James Bond) and then he writes a ton of war stories with Sara being a particularly good one. His war stuff tends to be pretty grounded and not edgy as he's often criticized for being.