• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
www.nbcmiami.com

Manatee dies after ‘high-intensity sexual behavior' with brother at Florida aquarium

A manatee died at a Florida aquarium in late April, and following a full pathology and necropsy report, there are new developments as to the possible cause of the mammal’s sudden death.

A manatee died at a Florida aquarium in late April, and following a full pathology and necropsy report, there are new developments as to the possible cause of the mammal's sudden death.

According to the Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium in Sarasota, Florida, the resident manatee, Hugh, died unexpectedly on April 29th after showing changes in his behavior until he suddenly became unresponsive in his habitat.

According to a statement following his passing, the aquarium said the manatee and his brother Buffett, were the world's only manatees to participate in voluntary, detailed behavioral research designed to aid manatee conservation.

But after a necropsy, or animal autopsy, and a full pathology performed by FWC's Fish and Wildlife research Institute's Marine Mammal Pathobiology Lab, it was determined that Hugh died from a 14.5 centimeter rip in his colon and other traumatic injuries caused by a sexual encounter with another, larger, male manatee at the facility, Buffett.

Although they were observed initiating and mutually seeking interactions from each other throughout the day, there were no obvious signs of discomfort or distress such as listing, crunching, or active avoidance that would have triggered a need for intervention.

Following the direction of the vets, distraction rather than physical separation was chosen because separation has previously caused undue anxiety and negative effects in both manatees.

In an effort to redirect the manatees' attention and decrease undesirable behaviors, the aquarium said animal care staff used positive reinforcement tools that had previously been successful.

Hugh was born at the Miami Seaquarium and went to Mote Marine in 1996 from ZooTampa. He was 38 years old.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Poor manatee :(. Sounds like the proper protocol was not followed here. I absolutely love this aquarium, but they should be held accountable

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I did not have this on my 2023 bingo card.

Poor manatee :(

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this was kinda a lose-lose situation.
Following the direction of the vets, distraction rather than physical separation was chosen because separation has previously caused undue anxiety and negative effects in both manatees.
They were too anxious away from eachother and it was hurting. Poor thing... :(

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the proper protocol was not followed here. I absolutely love this aquarium, but they should be held accountable
On the contrary, the animal care team did follow protocol and advice from the veterinary team as per the article:

The aquarium said the manatees were under heightened observation throughout the day and the animal care team was in constant close communications with the attending veterinarians throughout the day.

... Following the direction of the vets, distraction rather than physical separation was chosen because separation has previously caused undue anxiety and negative effects in both manatees.

In an effort to redirect the manatees' attention and decrease undesirable behaviors, the aquarium said animal care staff used positive reinforcement tools that had previously been successful.

In such a situation, there's nothing to be held accountable for.

data

Oct 25, 2017
According to a statement following his passing, the aquarium said the manatee and his brother Buffett, were the world's only manatees to participate in voluntary, detailed behavioral research designed to aid manatee conservation.
Doesn't seem so voluntary and I doubt manatees can voice their concerns

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
On the contrary, the animal care team did follow protocol and advice from the veterinary team as per the article:

In such a situation, there's nothing to be held accountable for.

Been following it for a bit and it seemed like they had known for a while there was internal bleeding and things were getting out of hand. At a certain point you have to make a move. At least from my basic understanding.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Been following it for a bit and it seemed like they had known for a while there was internal bleeding and things were getting out of hand. At a certain point you have to make a move. At least from my basic understanding.
Been trying to find the actual USDA necropsy but no luck, as that's the only thing that says that they handled him inappropriately. What other sources were you pulling from? I'm just curious about it because it seems wild that they'd know he was bleeding out but chose not to do anything.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused; did the manatee get fucked to death or did it fuck to death?

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, took me a second to really read the thread title and consider the implications

Nov 4, 2017
Is Buffet super well hung for a Manatee or something? I just assumed a bit of hot male-on-male action was normal like every other social mammal, so I'm confused as how to it led to a fatal injury. If a manatee is anything like a dugong, I can't imagine anything it does being that "intense".

Damn, the homophobe "ItS nOt AdAm AnD sTeVe" crowd is going to love this.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
If they were free and in the ocean, there would have been some oil-based lubricant and this wouldn't have happened! /s

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I don't know what the hell they were thinking. We all know manatees are sensitive to just motor boating, and we know that penetration has got to be more traumatic than that.

An explanation of what Voluntary means in relation to animal research.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
I'm trying to figure out what voluntary technically means and this stood out to me in the first article google found me: https://animalresearchnexus.org/blogs/can-animals-volunteer-participate-research

We agreed that to be truly voluntary, participation in research should ideally be inherently rewarding in itself. We might not just want to do this for ethical reasons, but also because an animal's level of interest in research can alter results. Despret (2004) has explored how results can differ depending on whether animals have been given opportunities to be 'articulate' and show the researchers what is interesting to them, compared with research intended to make animals docile and 'inarticulate', which tells us more about the experimental design than the animal (see also Greenhough and Roe 2011). As Despret points out, animals don't need to be interested in the research for the same reasons as the researchers; the point is that human-animal relationships and results change when animals find the research interesting for their own reasons.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Buffett?

www.youtube.com

Margaritaville

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupMargaritaville · Jimmy BuffettChanges In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes℗ 1977 UMG Recordings, Inc.Released on: 1...