Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Almost caught up on Elusive Samurai. Yusei Matsui has a weird, weird brain but it leads to such a distinctive voice in his storytelling. I'm enjoying this one a lot more than I did in early chapters, the history stuff and military strategy aspects are really fun. It feels like a really good YA novel in manga form.

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants to skim through Build King's last five chapters:

shonenjumpplus.com

BUILD KING 描き下ろし完結編 - 島袋光年 | 少年ジャンプ+

コミックス3巻発売記念!3巻に収録される描き下ろしエピソードを特別公開!ジャンプ本誌に掲載された最終回のその先を描く特別編!激闘のゆくえは…!?そしてBUILD KINGの秘密とは…!?
will hope mangaplus and viz get these up within the next dat

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Neru didnt even get a cordial upper half first ranking, yikes

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
welp, that is for red hood
the first 2 chapters had great art but from there the art looks so unpolished and rough
i guess is really hard keep that great art weekly

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 212-213
E-Si9vKX0AQS3wm

E-SjFdRWUAEY1XE

Really went in on Canadians.

I love all the domestic life stuff. Will miss it when battles resume.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 212-213:
The stuff with Hyuse being the "Ambassador of Authentic Canadian Culture" cracks me up.

Also nice Ikoma fanservice. Gotta give the readers what they want.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the series is definitely moving into an ending phase. It's just that the way One Piece is paced that asking every year whether One Piece is over isn't going to give you much of a decent answer. But I guess "Is One Piece almost over? We asked Oda!" articles generate clicks.

Oct 25, 2017
I cant imagine what people will do once One Piece ends, like some peoples life is totally defined by it

and with BLeach and Naruto not over there's no comparison

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
It'll get taken on by a bunch of rookies who will create the new continuation series, Two Piece.

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
I cant imagine what people will do once One Piece ends, like some peoples life is totally defined by it

and with BLeach and Naruto not over there's no comparison

Wait for a new anime that properly adapts the manga.

(I know it's a long shot, but this is one of the biggest franchises in the world so anything could happen 🤷[I also don't hate the current anime, but a remake could be incredible])

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to like Red Hood, but it's been pretty dull. The sketchy style had its charms, but it also made things unclear at times and it straight up looked bad in several panels. Cleaner lines might have helped a lot, in addition to fixing the pacing.

Neru had a weak start, but I've been enjoying it. I hope it lasts.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
World Trigger 212-213
As much as I love this series, this slow, weekly-style pacing being released monthly is killing me. I'm really glad Ashihara's getting to do what he's gotta do for the sake of his health, so I hate to complain, but still.

In other news, Hyuse the Genuine Canadian gave me a good laugh. That was great.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Look Back volume they change problematic dialogue again for third time. This time is closer to the original minus schizophrenia. Arguably the best version.

Last edited:

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Loon Back volume they change problematic dialogue again for third time. This time is closer to the original minus schizophrenia. Arguably the best version.
Oh, so I guess it's back to him accusing them of stealing his ideas but without any mention of him hearing voices? That would be the best compromise

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 212-213
Truly the exam arc to end all exam arcs. Glad we are finally getting into the intricacies of cooking, laundry, and now esports(?). Hope border comprehensively play tested this sim.

The A-Rank evaluation thing is pretty funny too.

Ikoma getting four name boxes in one chapter lol

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
APOSIMZ - End

It feels like the ending of this was rushed with most of the major characters getting killed and the big backstory dump happening in 2 chapters but I suppose the same thing goes for most of Nihei's works.

Aposimz had some interesting ideas but the story never hooked me like Sidonia and visually it was not as impressive as Nihei's earlier works like Blame! and Biomega.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on the last two Kaguya chapters, shit is hilarious as always, much needed after the drama from the previous arc

I really still can't picture what it would look like for Fujiwara to be in a serious relationship tho

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018

Posting this here cause I think there are Kaiju readers in this thread.

This is huge. As in record-breaking first-print. Naruto at its peak had 250k first prints.
One Piece volume 100 is going to have a 230k first print this December, and that's with a limited edition.

Kaiju is obviously not going to sell as much as Naruto or One Piece right away, but it is telling of its popularity and its expectations.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I really just wonder how these kinds of things happen

Like, what is it about Kaiju 8 that made it explode like that? It's super by the numbers "I wanna be the best ________" shonen, it's not bad or anything, but I have to wonder what was it that made it stand out so much to pull those numbers. Does the art come off as particularly eyecatching or something?

I liked it at first, but now it's just "monster's are attacking the city, AGAIN. Go get em." and the premise is wearing thin for me

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Posting this here cause I think there are Kaiju readers in this thread.

This is huge. As in record-breaking first-print. Naruto at its peak had 250k first prints.
One Piece volume 100 is going to have a 230k first print this December, and that's with a limited edition.

Kaiju is obviously not going to sell as much as Naruto or One Piece right away, but it is telling of its popularity and its expectations.

That's pretty wild

Oct 25, 2017
Kaiju 8 had a really strong first chapter. Probably one of the best first chapters in years. Its kinda still being carried by that momentum, but even if its a lil by the numbers I'm still having fun.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017

Like, what is it about Kaiju 8 that made it explode like that? It's super by the numbers "I wanna be the best ________" shonen, it's not bad or anything, but I have to wonder what was it that made it stand out so much to pull those numbers. Does the art come off as particularly eyecatching or something?

I liked it at first, but now it's just "monster's are attacking the city, AGAIN. Go get em." and the premise is wearing thin for me

Agreed. I think the story is a bit stuck in that they're focusing so much on the special forces and the escalating power levels of the aliens…

the early chapters had a smaller cast, and a refreshing theme of a guy that's past his prime in a maintenance crew.

now it's a bit too battle-heavy. such is the life of shonen, I guess :-/

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if it has a strong secondary demographic of older readers who resonate with Kafka. That's what did it for me, a semi-washed-up 32 year old having the standard shonen character arc (outside of an isekai context) is a pretty good hook on its own.

Also I get the feeling the current arc could lead to some deaths and/or major changes to the status quo, as the situation already looks worse than the climax of the last one and it's just barely started. Kafka won't be able to punch his way out of this even if he gets his head in the game immediately, and a lot of the strongest officers are already in the fray.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how close Battle Angel Alita Mars Chronicle is to finishing? It started in 2014 so it's been worked on for 7 years now. BAA Last Order took 14 years but the original took only 5 years, for reference.

Oct 27, 2017
Caught up on the last two Kaguya chapters, shit is hilarious as always, much needed after the drama from the previous arc

I really still can't picture what it would look like for Fujiwara to be in a serious relationship tho
I hope Fujiwara gets her own arc soon. It has been so long since she was relevant in the story and I miss her.

We have gotten arcs for pretty much everyone (?) and it would be great if we can finally have an arc focused on her.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Holy shit!
Horror manga icon Kazuo Umezu (sometimes attributed as Kazu Umezz) is working on a new manga series to debut in January 2022. The 84-year-old writer/artist retired from comics in 1995 after finishing his sci-fi manga Fourteen and is best known for the horror series The Drifting Classroom, Cat-Eyed Boy, and Orochi: Blood.

"What!!! This is the first new release in 26 years!!! It took four years to produce," Umezu writes on his website, as translated from Japanese by Google Translate. "Today is the first time I have made a public announcement because I drew it silently. It's a great work, and at first glance you can't escape!!!"

At the bottom of the announcement, a joint copyright of Umezu and Japanese publisher Shogakukan is listed, which seems to indicate Shogakukan is publishing Umezu's return to manga. There's been no announcement about an English edition, however, Shogakukan is a partial owner of the English-language manga publisher Viz.
www.gamesradar.com

Horror manga icon Kazuo Umezu comes out of retirement after 26 years

The creator of Drifting Classroom and Cat-Eyed Boy is back

I used to live a short walk away from him, but I haven't been lucky enough to meet him.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Like, what is it about Kaiju 8 that made it explode like that? It's super by the numbers "I wanna be the best ________" shonen, it's not bad or anything, but I have to wonder what was it that made it stand out so much to pull those numbers. Does the art come off as particularly eyecatching or something? I also agree that the middle age life crisis mc who gets a second chance at following his dream likely has resonated with an older audience compared to other battle shonen primarily starring and aimed at teenagers.

It feel like a right time, right place, right platform kind of perfect storm.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Sket Dance

Reading Sket Dance for the first time, just finished the band arc.

At first when the pillows were referenced I was like "oh wow, the mangaka likes them too? Neat." Then, "oh wow, the last chapter in the arc is straight up called Funny Bunny," to finally, "oh WOW, the climax is straight up them playing Funny Bunny, with the lyrics to the song written out." Quite a ride there, caught me off guard seeing it go that far, haha.

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Flurry 18

Loved the mecha lollipop. It's probably ending soon, but I enjoyed the ride

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Spy X Family 52

Woooow, Yor really doesn't fuck around. That was brutal. It's jarring seeing how wholesome this series usually is only to go to this, but it's fitting, I guess, considering the actual premise.

That fakeout with Zeb, tho. Dropping all those death flags only to have a bulletproof vest lol

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spy x Family 52
This chapter was some Kingsman: The Secret Service nonsense and it was glorious.