• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Erdogan is also making it worse since he controls economic policy.

www.cnbc.com

Turkish central bank cuts rates, sending lira to record low

Inflation in the country of 84 million is now at more than 21% and has climbed steadily as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has refused to raise rates.

www.nytimes.com

Many Turks Can’t Afford Bread, and Bakers Can’t Afford to Make It (Published 2021)

Squeezed by rising costs, price controls and plunging sales, bakers warn of ruin, while their impoverished former customers line up for government-supplied loaves.

ISTANBUL — A line of glum-faced people wrapped up against the rain stood along the street outside a government bread bank in a suburb of Istanbul.

"People cannot manage," said Sengul Essen, 57. "I worked 21 years as a cleaner at the university and now I am waiting in a bread queue."

Turks are grappling with soaring inflation, watching prices rise daily as the lira has plunged against the dollar and their salaries and pensions no longer cover even the staples of life. Bread lines have started to appear in neighborhoods as growing numbers of people are turning to cheap, government-issued bread to fill their tables.

On a cold, wet afternoon this week, the mood in the bread line was bleak. Most people did not want to be interviewed for fear of getting into trouble for criticizing the government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, which frequently detains his critics. Those who spoke declined to give their names.

But as a conversation started, the grumbling grew.

An electrician stood listening. "People are in pain," he said. He said he earned 2,900 lira per month (about $207 at current rates), and his rent had just gone up to 2,000 lira. His wife was buying less of everything in her weekly shopping, he said. "I cannot make ends meet."

Food prices have soared worldwide during the pandemic, driven by supply chain disruptions, higher fuel costs, global shortages of fertilizer and other factors. But the plummeting value of Turkey's currency, down about 50 percent since February against the euro and dollar, makes the problem especially painful here.

This guy's rent is 2000 lira and his monthly take home is 2900 lira. Good God.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Turkish economy has been circling for quite a while. Feel really bad for the people though. People standing in line for bread in 2021 says a lot about how fucked things are in this day and age.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Erdogan is making a risky play here. Yeah, authoritarian, enflaming ethnic tensions etc…easy rulebook to follow.

But when motherfuckers can't eat is when leaders end up getting stringed up quickly. Dudes playing with fire.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Turkish economy has been circling for quite a while. Feel really bad for the people though. People standing in line for bread in 2021 says a lot about how fucked things are in this day and age.
Pretty sure that also happened in the US in the height of the pandemic as well. Food charities were overwhelmed. Modern society is very unequal.

We have chance to rebuilt society with greater safety nets, but the corporate and donor class nixxed it.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Usually populist/nationalist leaders are very bad at governing and Erdogan is just proving to be another one of the same kind. It's a pity that the people have to suffer for this.

Roobie

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 26, 2021
Just to give you an idea how bad it really is. Almost half of people in Turkey earn minimum wage, which is around 2900 Lira. Rent is rarely under 1000 Lira for a garbage apartment.
Now look at these prices

www.migros.com.tr

Migros Sanal Market: Online Market Alışverişi

Geniş ürün yelpazesi, en uygun fiyatlı ürünleri ve aynı gün teslimat fırsatıyla online market alışverişinizde Migros Sanal Market size iyi gelecek!

12 Lira for a quarter of a gallon, 25 Lira for a knob of butter. 1,5% of your monthly take home salary gone for a piece of butter. Imagine if you earned 2900 dollars a month and had to pay 25 bucks for butter, 40 bucks for a gallon of milk or 50 bucks for a pound of meat

Not to mention luxury goods. An iphone 13 is 20k lira. So 7 months worth of work.

I was in Istanbul 2 months ago and have no idea how people make ends meet. We went out with friends who all earn minimum wage and they all paid like 10% of their monthly salary for a simple night out with a few beers and food. And they still have to pay rent and their bills

Last edited:

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Usually populist/nationalist leaders are very bad at governing and Erdogan is just proving to be another one of the same kind. It's a pity that the people have to suffer for this.

And yet it keeps on happening all over the world. How ever much I like to feel angry about a lot of people are doing it to them self.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
We have chance to rebuilt society with greater safety nets, but the corporate and donor class nixxed it.
Even in countries with safety nets, like here in Norway we have seen an increase in inequality over the last decade almost. While we may not have breadlines, we have people standing in line for firewood because a lot of people can't afford the high energy prices at the moment. Its nothing less than shameful. Our government is working on some sort of relief plan, but we'll see how good that is. Working class across borders needs to unite in this fight. There is no other solution really. Both against poverty and far-right.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Biden screwing up Turkey too.

#Bidenflation

Shitposting aside, this really sucks for Turkish people. There needs to be government intervention to provide relief but I don't see Erdogan doing that.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Shitposting aside, this really sucks for Turkish people. There needs to be government intervention to provide relief but I don't see Erdogan doing that.
His government intervention has been to make it worse. He has been controlling central bank policy to try and lower inflation in a way that raises it actually.

Nov 2, 2017
Even in countries with safety nets, like here in Norway we have seen an increase in inequality over the last decade almost. While we may not have breadlines, we have people standing in line for firewood because a lot of people can't afford the high energy prices at the moment. Its nothing less than shameful. Our government is working on some sort of relief plan, but we'll see how good that is. Working class across borders needs to unite in this fight. There is no other solution really. Both against poverty and far-right.

I guess there goes that myth that floats around that all Norwegians are oil rich now.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
His government intervention has been to make it worse. He has been controlling central bank policy to try and lower inflation in a way that raises it actually.
It's like basic economics too and he keeps failing.

Elections will be 2023, which seems like a very long time in terms of politics.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I guess there goes that myth that floats around that all Norwegians are oil rich now.
Yeah, that has never been true really. We do have a pretty big welfare system, and for most people it works pretty well. If you are unemployed or low-income though, you are in for a ride from hell. We have had 8 years of conservatives running parliament, so that has made the rich people richer, and poor people poorer. We have a new government now, so hopefully things will get gradually better, but it doesn't take away all the bad shit that has been done.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I know it sucks for the people living there, but at the same time, they voted for him.

It's like basic economics too and he keeps failing.

Elections will be 2023, which seems like a very long time in terms of politics.

Who's to say he can't rig it to stay in power? This guy is Trump 2.0. He has the power to do what he wants from what I understand.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
He legitimately doesn't get it, he is going against all recommendations and is actively making it worse and worse.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
They already had pretty bad inflation during the last election, right? I guess it's on a different level from the sounds of it. There just doesn't seem to be enough juice in the CHP to overtake Erdogan especially with all the government suppression.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
HOW DOES BIDEN KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT!?

(sorry can't help it)

Inflation in Turkey has been an issue for about as long as I've remembered, but it's seemingly gotten worse under Erdogan's control of financial policy, and during a time when most other European countries and many Asian countries weren't seeing the sort of inflation that Turkey was. Now that most industrialized countries are seeing significant inflation in 2021, Turkey was already in a weak spot.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

(sorry can't help it)

Inflation in Turkey has been an issue for about as long as I've remembered, but it's seemingly gotten worse under Erdogan's control of financial policy, and during a time when most other European countries and many Asian countries weren't seeing the sort of inflation that Turkey was. Now that most industrialized countries are seeing significant inflation in 2021, Turkey was already in a weak spot.
I do like the US does separate fiscal policy from the passions of the electorate. I know Ron Paul hated the Fed lol

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I also had no idea where Turkey's currency was at. 2900 lira for the month is rough in terms of wage earned.

Is that in line with it's neighbors in Europe?

LazyGradient

Nov 9, 2020
Erdogans lack of basic economics is painfully obvious in the situation here. He's going against all his advisors and the Turkish people are suffering. Hopefully something changes soon.

Oh and sorry but the Biden jokes are very unfunny and super America first. I know to each his own but still.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
That's sad, considering Turkey out of nowhere became the tourist destination of choice for people where I live. Saw so many posts/stories from people I have on my IG/FB going to turkey.

My uncle and his family went to turkey this past year
and this month, my cousin and his family are going to turkey.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
That's sad, considering Turkey out of nowhere became the tourist destination of choice for people where I live. Saw so many posts/stories from people I have on my IG/FB going to turkey.

It's because the Turkish lira has free fallen, makes it really cheap for foreigners. And there are little to no pandemic precautions when entering the country.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I know it sucks for the people living there, but at the same time, they voted for him.

Who's to say he can't rig it to stay in power? This guy is Trump 2.0. He has the power to do what he wants from what I understand.
True. I'm not familiar with Turkish politics to comment on the possibility of that happening.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
Erdogan has fired 3 central bank presidents in the last two years. He refuses to raise interest rates, which is the primary response to rising inflation

www.bbc.co.uk

Why Turkey's currency crash does not worry Erdogan

Turkey's national currency has plummeted 45% against the dollar this year

His whole modus operandi is "I ordered inflation to fall, why has it not obeyed me?"

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

(sorry can't help it)

Just to provide some more detail here.

Erdogan has a famously contrary view on inflation, he believes that to counter them you need to cut interest rates, which is in direct contradiction to nearly every economist the world over. Part of this is based on his religion, there is an obscure reference in the Koran you can interpret as being against interest rates. There'e also a that general distrust of the West and there was another factor that is not coming to me right now. Some historic precedent he is basing it on or something.

Anyway, he has flirted with this multiple times over the years but has repeatedly rowed back. So he went so far as to install his son-in-law as leader of the Turkish Central Bank in 2019 before then installing someone who actually knew what they were doing in 2020. This person increased interest rates and helped ease fall in the lira.

Then in 2021 Erdogan fired him and replaced him with a stooge and also removed a bunch of other people in the bank and his cabinet who might try to convince him to change course. Result is three (four? can't remember) months of repeated interest rate cuts at a time when nearly every other country is increasing theirs.

So the lira has been having a terrible time of it for the past few years because of this volatility in policy, it's just coming to a head now.

There's also a lot of other factors, like the government's over reliance on selling off it's reserves to prop up the lira and a bunch of other factors that go over my head, honestly.

AzureSky

Dec 11, 2017
Erdogan has a famously contrary view on inflation, he believes that to counter them you need to cut interest rates, which is in direct contradiction to nearly every economist the world over. Part of this is based on his religion, there is an obscure reference in the Koran you can interpret as being against interest rates. There'e also a that general distrust of the West and there was another factor that is not coming to me right now. Some historic precedent he is basing it on or something.

Erdogan is arguing that low interest rates will make loans cheaper and help improving the local economy, which is a fair point. 15% interest rates are pretty high if you are looking for a loan. The problem is that the situation is always more complicated than it looks and "easy" solutions often make it worse.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Erdogan is arguing that low interest rates will make loans cheaper and help improving the local economy, which is a fair point. 15% interest rates are pretty high if you are looking for a loan. The problem is that the situation is always more complicated than it looks and "easy" solutions often make it worse.

Erdogan is a moron and doesn't know how to deal with fiscal policy. He's fired so many people just because his methods don't work and he just scapegoats the central bank governor each time. I'm waiting to see if Turkey finally rids itself of their little Napoleon.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Just to provide some more detail here.

Anyway, he has flirted with this multiple times over the years but has repeatedly rowed back. So he went so far as to install his son-in-law as leader of the Turkish Central Bank in 2019 before then installing someone who actually knew what they were doing in 2020. This person increased interest rates and helped ease fall in the lira.

Then in 2021 Erdogan fired him and replaced him with a stooge and also removed a bunch of other people in the bank and his cabinet who might try to convince him to change course. Result is three (four? can't remember) months of repeated interest rate cuts at a time when nearly every other country is increasing theirs.

So the lira has been having a terrible time of it for the past few years because of this volatility in policy, it's just coming to a head now.

There's also a lot of other factors, like the government's over reliance on selling off it's reserves to prop up the lira and a bunch of other factors that go over my head, honestly.
To borrow a phrase from Russian history, Erdogan is unfit to run a village post office, much less an entire country.

This is why central banks in most functioning economies are politically independent.

Last edited:

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017

turkey is beautiful and i would love to go there but not as long as Erdogan or similiar people are at the top.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't know it was that bad but I read years ago that people from Turkey who don't live there primarily didn't mind Erdogan and the state of the economy because they got so much bang for their buck which helped that cretin stay in power and solidify himself because it didn't really effect them in a negative way.

Roobie

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 26, 2021
Didn't know it was that bad but I read years ago that people from Turkey who don't live there primarily didn't mind Erdogan and the state of the economy because they got so much bang for their buck which helped that cretin stay in power and solidify himself because it didn't really effect them in a negative way.

It's mostly because turkish people who emigrated to other countries were mostly from a lower class, conservative background. Exactly the clientele of Erdogan.
Imagine if half of Alabama emigrated to I don't know, Canada. Even two generations later they would probably be conservative leaning cause of their upbringing and culture.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017

your first comment doesn't align well with your 2nd...

the people don't have a choice, Erdogan has rigged it in his favour. To the extent some people unknowingly vote for the same people destroying them. Very similar to Russia and a little bit like the US.

"they voted for him" is unfair,. Not everyone voted for Trump, for example.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, it's a nice idea but inflation is now so high that rent and the costs of basics has risen massively. So people can't afford the basics and that is not a good position in which to be taking out loans.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Turns out letting an idiot run your monetary policy is not a viable option in 2021.

Considering Lira dropped another 8% against the euro this morning it's gonna get a lot worse than better for ordinary turks

vpricot

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Even when it comes down to "well they voted for him" I always try to keep in mind that for one when authoritarians are in power it seems impossible for them to resist election rigging. But also like even if people willingly choose to vote for him, yes they are responsible for their vote, but I think we don't always realize how easily malleable we are. We have squishy little meat computers in our heads.

We are so susceptible to propaganda, and our brains are not prepared for the scale at which the information age has amplified it. It's not so hard to convince large vulnerable populations to vote against their best interests. Not to say supporters are THE victims, but we are all victims of it and it's hard not to
pity these people at least a little. My heart goes out to the people suffering, and those whose voices go unheard.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

the people don't have a choice, Erdogan has rigged it in his favour. To the extent some people unknowingly vote for the same people destroying them. Very similar to Russia and a little bit like the US.

Yup. Erdogan got only 53% of the vote after controlling much of the media etc.... Many people are victims of him rather than enablers of him. When Erdogan is buried in the ground the world should celebrate.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

There is also a lot of people voting for him that don't live in Turkey at all, so they don't need to live with him.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Even when it comes down to "well they voted for him" I always try to keep in mind that for one when authoritarians are in power it seems impossible for them to resist election rigging. But also like even if people willingly choose to vote for him, yes they are responsible for their vote, but I think we don't always realize how easily malleable we are. We have squishy little meat computers in our heads.

We are so susceptible to propaganda, and our brains are not prepared for the scale at which the information age has amplified it. It's not so hard to convince large vulnerable populations to vote against their best interests. Not to say supporters are THE victims, but we are all victims of it and it's hard not to
pity these people at least a little. My heart goes out to the people suffering, and those whose voices go unheard.
It's gotten worse in the smartphone age. I know Facebook and WhatsApp groups are known spreaders of misinformation worldwide. And they cater to baser instincts like ultranationalism, racism, hypermasculinity.

This was the playbook of Brazil's current President. Another inept fool.