• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
But we know how she got the Jedi powers!

She downloaded them all from Kylo Ren when they were in the same room together...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's not wrong. ST being irredeemable trash. (ep 8+9)

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
...Why does it matter if Rey is a woman and why do her powers need to come from somewhere?

Honestly that just reads like one of those YouTube chuds' complaints.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the Sequel Trilogy does suck, but like...who is this and why is her opinion that important?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I mean the Sequel Trilogy does suck, but like...who is this and why is her opinion that important?

Oscar winning editor of the original Star Wars and wife to George during development of the OT.

She's also revered as the "real" creator of Star Wars by some groups of fans who refuse to give George any sort of credit

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People in the SW fandom pitting people involved with the franchise against one another to support their personal opinions about this or that set of SW films will forever be the most pitiful part of the fandom. It's absolutely pathetic.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I agree with her. All 6 of those movies were pretty awful, uninspired, and lacked a good story. But that sequel was way worse

Disney had all these great SW books they could've brought to the screen. Instead, gave them all a middle finger and brought a much worse story to the screen with the sequels

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can critize the two trilogies all you want. But it doesn't seem like she's making any valid point, it's just "female audiences!", "the original protagonists aren't around even though one actor didn't want to participate anymore and the other one actually died!".

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, the movies have a lot of issues. "Not knowing where the powers come from" is not one of them though.

I mean yes the sequels are not great but you could literally say the same thing for a lot characters. Like Anakin is the chosen one so he has powers but why him and not someone else?
Did you miss the part where she trashed the prequels too?

Edit: at least the second tweet says she trashed the prequels, though I don't see the full quote that includes that.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
We eventually learn how Rey got powers but it was stupid like everything else in the ST. She doesn't have the best critiques but the ST was so bad who cares about the specifics anymore.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Maybe, just maybe, Star Wars is one of those properties that was only good in the 70's and 80's

May 17, 2018
Fully encapsulates everything wrong with comic/Star Wars mega-fandom.

Like, imagine taking this shit this seriously. Get a grip.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Why do we need an explanation on why someone has Jedi powers? Such a dumb point. Why did Yoda or Kenobi have Jedi powers???

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
I should've known Rinzler's last book would be mined for clickbait fuel like this.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
"'Their main character is this female, who's supposed to have Jedi powers, but we don't know how she got Jedi powers"

How is a terrible quote like this even worth a news story? It is completely stupid and makes no sense. Clickbait crap.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I mean she is kind of right that these movies were not good, even if I enjoyed parts of the first prequel movie and the last (2nd one is complete trash even worse than Jar Jar). And the new trilogy, umm... the less said, the better. Let's just say I "enjoyed" prequels more.

Edit: That quote was terrible though.

Oct 25, 2017
"We don't know how she got Jedi powers" is very weird because....we do know? Like, it just happens? Same with Luke?
I also don't know how Obi Wan got Jedi powers and please never explain it to me because it doesn't matter at all

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Overall I agree about PT and NT being utter shit, but this criticism is kinda shallow.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I agree with her on the sequel trilogy, but Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars film. Prequels have the best, most nuanced story out of the three trilogies; the execution is just not great at times.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
The quotes show off her lack of knowledge more than any legit criticism.

She sounds like those boomers whose only exposure to the franchise was watching them 40 years ago.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I agree with her. I think her assessment is pretty much spot on. It's the reason I don't pay attention to Star Wars anymore. Setting aside the oversaturation, which is bad enough, it just seems like Disney will let any knucklehead take a stab at writing or directing some form of SW media now.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
We eventually learn how Rey got powers but it was stupid like everything else in the ST. She doesn't have the best critiques but the ST was so bad who cares about the specifics anymore.

Well, only one of the three movies was bad so the specifics are actually kind of important.

And the specifics this person gives are very stupid so I dunno.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
The original trilogy are pretty bad too. Star Wars as a franchise is a series of poorly written movies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone disagrees the prequel and sequel trilogies suck.

However prequel memes will outlive us all.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Reading the rest of those criticisms, there's not any real substance to any of them.

It's just "I didn't like that they did this thing that I didn't like!" over and over.

Like regardless of whether or not you agree that the movies were bad, this is a terrible article.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
She's 100% right about the mainline films. It's the spin offs that have been solid. I love both Rogue One and Solo (even though it was far from perfect, I enjoy it flaws and all).

Rise of the Skywalker encapsulated everything I hated about the Sequel Trilogy. Ala throwing darts at an ideas board and hoping something sticks...

And as much as I enjoyed Rey when she first hit the scene I couldn't stand what they did with her character as the films progressed. Terrible writing just threw away any potential she had of being a great lead protaganist.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh.... killing Han was a bold and interesting story choice that made Kylo Ren into a villain worth caring about and hating. The other ones I will give her, though.

Citizen Rizer

Oct 27, 2017
The prequels and sequels were pretty bad, but knowing where Rey's powers come from wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.