• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Eh I mean, it neat that it's the original editor and all, but criticizing these films is a well-travelled road at this point. And none of those criticisms seem particularly enlightening.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Kinda awkward she called out Luke "disintegrating"when Ben does the same in ANH. Which she edited.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The force awakened.. is how Rey got her force powers in my view. I don't think they needed any other explanation.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
she could have made literally any criticism about the sequel trilogy and nobody would care but she chose to rant about "females"

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of admiration for her, but that quote about Rey, ugh... Let's just say I've only read this in the worst parts of the fandom
That's a weird thing to criticize in freaking Star Wars anyway

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Reading her full rant...eh.

Like I get it, they killed off the original cast and that's sad. And the new characters basically suck across the board. But all of that is the fault of JJ Abrams and the scripts, not the fact Rey is a woman. You could've killed off Han and Luke in better ways and still told a good story in the process, they just didn't because JJ Abrams is a horrible storyteller and they had zero plan for the trilogy and just made it up as they went.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Han and Luke dying are the problem with the sequel trilogy.

Yea, the actors are getting old. It's better than if they were to replace them with different actors.

Also, I liked the sequels. Not going to go watch them again, but at the time (first viewing), I thought they were fun. I'm not the type of person that's going to get hung up on canon or what 'real star wars is' though.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
for all the "she's not wrong" folks, i guess this:
Their main character is this female, who's supposed to have Jedi powers, but we don't know how she got Jedi powers'

is objectively true but it's also a very, very, very stupid thing to criticize

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Side-eyeing anyone in this thread that just drops by with a "she's right," given that some of this, especially that questionable-as-hell quote about Rey, is basically the kind of shit you see from alt-right dorks in YouTube comments.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Side-eyeing anyone in this thread that just drops by with a "she's right," given that some of this, especially that questionable-as-hell quote about Rey, is basically the kind of shit you see from alt-right dorks in YouTube comments.
I'm guessing no one read the quotes and just saw "Someone criticizes sequel trilogy".

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Reading her full rant...eh.
lmao most peeps in this thread agreeing with her have not read the full rant. But that is to be expected when discussing Star Wars online.

TFA is still the template in how to succesfully revive a franchise and TLJ is top 2 SW movies. It has not been a total wash. The ST just joins the long list of trilogies where the third part absolutely sucks.

edit; This rant is going to fuel the nerds that think that deepfake luke slashing robots in a hallway is peak star wars.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I saw a video recently ( don't remember who it was) where he basically tore down modern cinema and said 'I miss loving Star Wars'. That just about sums it up for me.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Well, only one of the three movies was bad so the specifics are actually kind of important.

And the specifics this person gives are very stupid so I dunno.

I don't agree. I think they all had big problems. FA was a fanservice retread but Finn and Rey had good chemistry so it helped. TLJ shelved Finn, I hated Canto Blight but it had some ok parts same as FA. ROS was a travesty from top to bottom. At the end of the day the overall narrative of the ST was a mess and even though I liked parts of the first two I would never rewatch any of them because it all goes nowhere.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so ready to be done with the prequels / sequels / are they good or not discussion

Bring on Mando season 3 and the Obi Wan show so I can enjoy some Star Wars content again please

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Why does Yoda have Jedi Powers? Why does Obi-Wan have Jedi Powers? Why is Jabba a big Snail thing and not a small bat thing? Why is Tattooine a huge desert?

This is fun!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
lmao most peeps in this thread agreeing with her have not read the full rant. But that is to be expected when discussing Star Wars online.

TFA is still the template in how to succesfully revive a franchise and TLJ is top 2 SW movies. It has not been a total wash.

I honestly think TFA was the reason the sequel trilogy failed. Because yeah, it REVIVED Star Wars...but it brought nothing new to the table and contained literally ZERO IDEAS to tell a compelling story out of. It felt like a Star Wars greatest hits album, and you can't build a trilogy out of re-mined nostalgia. Rian TRIED, and then JJ was like "NO! MORE NOSTALGIA!"

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes... Apart from the terrible extremely sexist Mary Sue-argument lifted straight from some 4 hour Youtube essay from some alt-right fuckhead, she doesn't give any solid argument. It's 'I don't like this because it's not what I want', which I expect from petulant fans, but not from an editor, who should understand story and structure.

I mean, killing Han Solo serves a massive point in the story. It's not only an important beat in Kylo's arc, it also takes away Reys most important mentor at that point.
And Luke sacrifices himself in the most Jedi way possible. He wins not with violence, but with wisdom and by inspiring. If that's not the Jedi way, what is?

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I mean yes the sequels are not great but you could literally say the same thing for a lot characters. Like Anakin is the chosen one so he has powers but why him and not someone else?

Because he wasn't actually the chosen one, he was created by darth plagueis to destroy the jedi, lost when palpatine killed him and then found again. Anakin is a subversion of the chosen one cliche because he wasn't actually chosen and he also fails about as completely as one can. The movies were not subtle about this. They all but had ian mcdarmid look into the camera and wink.

Xanfrabot

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"And they think it's important to appeal to a woman's audience, so now their main character is this female, who's supposed to have Jedi powers, but we don't know how she got Jedi powers, or who she is. It sucks."

First of all, they're called "women".

Second,

JmKT7Kl.gif

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the criticisms here are pretty vapid. Also, the line where she says that "...they think it is important to appeal to a woman's audience, so now their main character is this female..." has some real boomer energy to it.

I don't love the sequel trilogy, and I think Rise of Skywalker is cowardly trash that bowed down to the most toxic segment of the fanbase, but nothing here seems rooted in anything substantial.

As a sidenote, it still astonishes me that there are people who want to point to Rogue One as being an example of a genuinely good Star Wars film. I mean, I get that you like seeing blue milk and Darth Vader, but wouldn't a character with substance be something you would want in your movie as well?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got the "but how did she get her powers?????" criticism

A) it literally doesn't matter, it's fucking star wars you have the scene where they realize they're tapping into the force and that's it you're done
B) that criticism is what led to palpatine being her grandfather which was fucking awful lol

just let force sensitive people be force sensitive people

star wars lore is like a fucking math equation to most of the fandom and they have actually ruined star wars

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018

Is it possible to engage with a critique without writing it off due there being overlap with an extremist position? Those guys should be ignored but she's a 75 year old grandmother I dont think she was scrawling dusty subreddits and the Quarterings comment section to formulate this opinion

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Han and Luke dying are the problem with the sequel trilogy.
The main problem with the sequel trilogy is ROS, if that film was better the whole trilogy would have been looked at more fondly. A sincere conclusion, instead of trying to regress from the developments in TLJ like killing of their emperor archetype, then bringing Palpatine back anyway.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think TFA was the reason the sequel trilogy failed. Because yeah, it REVIVED Star Wars...but it brought nothing new to the table and contained literally ZERO IDEAS to tell a compelling story out of. It felt like a Star Wars greatest hits album, and you can't build a trilogy out of re-mined nostalgia. Rian TRIED, and then JJ was like "NO! MORE NOSTALGIA!"
Meh bring back the old(tfa) to move forward (TLJ). Yeah JJ absolutely failed here, but I can pretend TROS never happened like the prequels :p.

edit: every single SW movie (besides ANH) had a mixed reception at release. Its pick your favorites at this point.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this is def a Star Wars thread on Era.

There's also another quote in regards to her time editing ANH where she basically says "Yeah I helped make the scenes work but I didn't write the shit. That was all George and his imagination."

But her criticisms are odd and very surface level. But at the same time match a lot of fans so it makes it even funnier when some people here and elsewhere just "Yeah she's right"

May 26, 2018
Was interested to see a unique angle...

Kinda feels like reading a forum though? Maybe everything that can be said already has been.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Meh bring back the old(tfa) to move forward (TLJ). Yeah JJ absolutely failed here, but I can pretend TROS never happened like the prequels :p.

edit: every single SW movie (besides ANH) had a mixed reception at release. Its pick your favorites at this point.

I can see the mentality behind what they did with TFA, but I sincerely believe that if movie 1 of the ST actually had strong, confident ideas behind it, the whole trilogy would've flowed way better. Because right now we have a movie with no ideas, followed by a movie with too many ideas, followed by a movie with no ideas that actively goes out of its way to negate the previous movie's ideas.

Oct 27, 2017
being the editor of star wars doesn't one the expert on star wars

hell, being the creator of star wars doesn't even make you an expert of star wars (see: prequels)

she can have her opinions, obviously. but they are pretty off the mark in my IMO

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apart from both trilogies being bad, can't say I agree with her except ever so slightly killing off Luke or not using him again in any decent way in Rise. Both trilogies are an absolute waste and profit over sense with shocking decisions in every one of them. It's just really disappointing, won't have a chance for that magic again.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've got to say, without disrespecting her or her contributions in any way, that those criticisms are terrible. Totally baseless, flimsy stuff.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Is her critcism "she's a female" or is her criticism that Disney went "she's a female" and didn't bother to dive deeper? Because part of her quote is "we don't know who she is"

Status
Not open for further replies.