• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Atwood is incredibly smart, so I hope she reflects on this and see it for the wrong that it is.
I'm going to hope the same. I enjoy her work and what she has to say. Her MasterClass was great too.

Incidentally this is completely out of step with Atwood's past positions on Rowling's comments. She signed Maureen Johnson's letter last year and has repeatedly expressed support for trans rights. I want to think she's misunderstanding something here or something is getting lost in translation but the article she's endorsing is so transphobic.

(sorry my reply was initially incomplete, accidentally hit the post button early)
Yeah, in her case sharing that article actually feels out of character.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Pretty painful, she's one of my all time favorite authors. The books currently on my desk are mostly hers.

Really hope she eventually comes around by reading people's responses and learning from them. It's just so frustrating that she fell for such a low effort take that doesn't even try to engage and immediately defended it.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is kinda like the dude up the street from me who screams about his free speech being taken away, meanwhile he has a gigantic altar to Trump in his front yard that everyone is forced to ignore.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Headlines like this make me relieved Ursula K. Le Guinn's legacy is written and will never have the opportunity to share shitty opinions on twitter.
She had a blog, and after the 2016 election she made a post about how conservatives see themselves as the ultimate victim.

I was only just starting to understand how fucked up the right wing is in the US, and that blog post really opened my eyes.

Aside from the Earthsea series, I will always be grateful to her for that.

Headlines like this make me relieved Ursula K. Le Guinn's legacy is written and will never have the opportunity to share shitty opinions on twitter.
In the great beyond, countless dead authors give thanks every day that they kicked it before social media was invented. Even the ones we KNOW were a barrel of issues.

Like, consider how Lovecraft is seen today, then realize that if he'd had Twitter his reputation would assuredly be much worse.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there's much doubt here considering it says she attended a conference of "gender critical" thinkers, that's not the kind of thing you do if you are just misguided

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, people like me who would kill to just be recognized as women, the whole fight against being perceived as male, yes we are trying to take the term we want applied to us away (while they once again act like trans men don't exist) makes sense.

Another war on Christmas, that's what this.

As for the medical stuff while the terms here are for trans men, they ignore that since trans men existing defeats a lot of their arguments, but it works for trans women too.

For instance I am middle aged and just transitioning now, so there are male part exams I have to get while living and transitioning into a woman. Do you think when I have to go get a prostate exam I want to be misgendered or treated like a man? The point of the language is purely medical and due to medicine and tech letting trans people change their bodies, leading to men with biologically female parts, and women with biologically male parts. The language is so we get respect while also getting more accurate healthcare, something we are woefully underserved on as is and gets worse in a world that calls a Pap smear "a well women check". Remove gendered language for technical medical care is what we want, not "take away the term woman and woman's rights to call themselves women."

News flash, I call myself a woman too.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
well she is a 2nd wave feminist, you either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
There have been some weird articles recently that have set the TERF machine off. Most recently The Lancet's cover article going on about 'Bodies With Vaginas'. I don't really understand this one. Are publishers worried about upsetting the Trans community if they talk about biology and gender in the same article?

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
The historical record says celebrities will always fall back on the ones buttering them up to continue ignoring any of the criticism they received, and this will drag them down the rabbit hole into writing their own TERF articles or focusing their stand-up routines on us. Given she has only defended the author since (claiming she's not a TERF... when you can easily look through her history and even the article Atwood posted itself to find evidence to the contrary - in addition to the author's history of racism) and then went back to tweeting other subjects instead without correction, this tells me she will not be reflecting on her criticism.

Oh ok that's good. Thought she had some terrible takes I wasn't aware of.
At least on the subject of gender neutral language, she's made these positive comments.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
The article is pretty true. I keep typing ***** and it keeps replacing words with asterisks for some reason. It is literally 1984.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah. You can have your opinion. You can even say whatever you want. It's more about how to take legitimate criticism that follows. To learn and grow from it. Instead of doubling (and tripling) down.
Plus if a certain percent of the population want to be racist, sexist, lgbtphobic or hold and promote other regressive opinions it's a lot easier to filter them out as trash when they tell on themselves. Makes it easier for me, especially as someone that fits into one of those groups, to avoid wasting my time or money on someone who thinks I am subhuman.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Always wild to watch people prove again and again how there are plenty of stupid fucking smart people out there.

Hopefully someones she gives a f about reaches out to her and tries to educate her a bit and double-hopefully she's actually receptive to it. Doubtful.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think she's dumb. Education on these issues remain relatively niche, in spite of what we see in our circles.

Even with Chappelle's willful ignorance, one thing that struck me is that he evidently *just* learned what it meant to be a feminist. No wonder the gender/sex distinction was lost on him.

And here, Atwood is likely hearing "people who menstruate" and tied that (and her specific experiences) to the word "woman." To people like this, assuming they're not disingenuous, ideally we would want to present them with the info that clears up their misunderstandings.

"Do your own research" usually just leads them to articles like the one she retweeted.

Hopefully she can be course-corrected, but she may be further pushed in a negative direction unless the people around her pull her back.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

She really is speedrunning the Rowling trajectory incredibly fast.

I guess people pointing out she was being disgusting really hurt her feelings and now she has to scold them.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Activism is always toxic to people unaffected by the reason there is activism in the first place.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Ah yes, the in-your-face activism. Instead go with the much more palatable "easily ignored and not efficient" activism

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
This extreme white feminism bullshit is getting really old and what the right is using against feminism in general. But these extremists are too blinded by their hate and propaganda to see.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Yeap the spiral continues, albeit faster than expected this time.

Never expect the rich and powerful to do any honest reflection when they can always ignore their criticism and fall back on the celeb worshippers supporting them.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Too many brown nosers and TERFs backing her bad opinions up... Why change when you have so many people assuring you that you're the real victim.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Considering that she wrote a novel about ambisexuals in 1969 and apologised in 1986 for a perceived lack of homosexuality in that same novel, I would presume she would have been able to handle these issues more deftly than most.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
That opinion piece is basically a trans woman who considers herself "one of the good ones" regurgitating terfy talking points and claiming that cis men declaring themselves to be trans in order to hurt women is some sort of epidemic

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Worth noting this opinion piece is written by a pseudonym with no other history of existing beyond this one article.

Of course this is the "research" all TERFs go for to ignore actual prominent trans voices.

*edit* I should note there is a twitter account floating around that doesn't appear to actually be linked to whoever wrote the article and is just someone making fun of the pseudonym. Something that'd be easier to identify if y'know, the writer actually had their own established presence as a person who does in fact exist.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day as long understanding and intellect will only protect people so much if they don't have power. Power needs to be taken and used to support all marginalized people.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Oh yeah she's with them
Not surprising , it's pretty big among somewhat older feminists (30/35+) and always gotta remember
This branch of progressives ( trans inclusive ) are small minority

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Update on the author who is in fact a real person

I'll link rather then embed to her tweet taking credit, rather avoid bloating her position than CBC & Atwood already has but it's worth confirming who Atwood is actually listening to in place of everyone else.

What really frustrated me is how Atwood just drops these shit takes that support her status quo ideals without actually engaging in anything herself, because she doesn't need to. She can just shit on trans rights and continue on her merry way leaving the rest of us to tangle with the asshats she emboldens, gaining prominence off her wilful ignorance. All the people crying out about the pain she's causing us but who does she listen to? The one "Gender Critical" trans opinion writer with zero writing history and less followers than my own non-public ass. This isn't an accident, it's searching for voices that reinforce your own beliefs so you can ignore the opposition.

Last edited:
It just goes to show that you really can't trust people at face value. We have two prominent female authors that wrote stories involving against facist entities, yet in real life, they're terrified of Transwomen fighting to be seen as human. Rebellion and the fight for rights is nothing more than a cute story for them to make money off of.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

When you go around a person's timeline you get suggestions of people like them

ltKdykO.png

this is what i got from this totally not tef person

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
When you go around a person's timeline you get suggestions of people like them

ltKdykO.png

this is what i got from this totally not tef person

Fucking hell at that middle one. "I'm gay, not queer" is the exact same, self-centered "shit, what does it mean if I'm attracted to someone with a dick" mentality that self centered cis-men who resent trans women display.

Time and again, whenever we get into the arguments these people want to make, it always boils down to them being uncomfortable with just the idea of someone else's genitals.