delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has become the top-selling video game that Nintendo has ever released. Over the course of Nintendo's lifespan, the Japanese gaming publisher has had almost too many hits to count. Various entries tied to Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, and Pokemon have all blown up at one time or another across various platforms. Despite this previous success, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has found a way to reach new heights that Nintendo has never seen before.

As of this week, Nintendo released its latest financial report for the company's 2024 fiscal year. In the process, it was revealed that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has now sold 61.97 million units in total. This doesn't only make it the best-selling game that the Nintendo Switch has ever seen, but it's also the top paid game from Nintendo. The only game that technically has sold more copies from Nintendo is that of Wii Sports. However, given that this was a pack-in game that came for free with the Nintendo Wii for the first many years of the console's life, its sales total is artificially inflated.

Close if old.

The article does not take into account the Wii U title, but do we need to take into account the Wii U title on a technicality for it to surpass Wii Sports?

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I hate when they consider Wii Sports as "sold copies". The game was free in NA at least..

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Well, if we don't consider Wii Sports, then yeah, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the highest selling Nintendo title.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Don't know how they'll top it, but they've had a decade to think on it.

I barely play video games anymore but I buy Nintendo consoles when the new Mario Kart of Zelda releases.

Oct 25, 2017
One of my lasting (last) memories about bricks and mortar game stores was over-hearing a pair of dude bro types near me inspecting the merchandise - as it were - while I was browsing.

"What's so Deluxe about it?"

Well mister, I think that's as good an answer.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Wii Sports is a bit tricky because yeah it came free in the US, but also, everyone bought the Wii for that game, so it's a hard read. Either way, MK8 is doing incredible, if you bundle the U version isn't it over 70 million now? I would say given the situation it's at least fair to include the U version, since every game that exist does this really.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Don't know how they'll top it, but they've had a decade to think on it.

I barely play video games anymore but I buy Nintendo consoles when the new Mario Kart of Zelda releases.

the only idea I have is to evolve the game itself
which of course means taking what Diddy Kong started and evolving it into a full ass mushroom kingdom kart extravaganza

or going the 'smash' route

PG10

Jan 23, 2024
Mario Kart deserves all the success!!

the only idea I have is to evolve the game itself
which of course means taking what Diddy Kong started and evolving it into a full ass mushroom kingdom kart extravaganza

or going the 'smash' route
I'd much rather the smash route (but not as much characters) with signature items ala DD and while their at it, a Double Dash game mode also plz bring back item switching for double items :(

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how a Wii U port made them so much money. Probably the easiest money they've ever made.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
There's no way Wii Sports would have 80+ million without it being a pack-in for NA. But given how integral is was to the Wii's identity, it might have still been their #1 of all time. So many people bought a Wii to get Wii Sports. Wii Sports Resort sold 33 million which is a testament to the original's popularity.

And as for MK8D, it deserves the praise. It's easily the best Mario Kart ever. Damn near anyone who can hold a controller can play the game thanks to the assists. Hopefully Nintendo will make the next entry even more accessible for those with disabilities.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be really hard to top this game with whatever comes next.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And I only just bought it like two months ago. Still more sales to go, chop chop.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
It's crazy how a Wii U port made them so much money. Probably the easiest money they've ever made.
nintendo just has this crazy combo of extremely high units + "low" costs that definitely nets some of the the most insane profits in the business

isnt the switch also the only profitable console out of the big 3? the same switch which is going to inevitably pass the PS2 in units without a single price cut lmfao

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
And at full price at that, don't forget that. It just keeps going. Plus I imagine tens of millions got the DLC one way or another, either through NSO or buying it directly.

Great Martinez Jr.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
My favorite Mario Kart to date.

It's sales are definitely astonishing.

It honestly feels like the next Mario Kart is going to be an event when it launches

Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC
To me that might as well be #1, Wii Sports is an asterisk.

I think I might still be partial to the DS entry but yea, outside of that 8D is the best one so, well deserved.
Does this include Mario Kart 8 on Wii U?
I don't think so since they specify the Deluxe version.
The article does not take into account the Wii U title, but do we need to take into account the Wii U title on a technicality for it to surpass Wii Sports?
What is Wii Sports' tally? It's very possible that if you even add every single Wii U console sale and just assume MK8 had a 1:1 attach rate, it still wouldn't add enough millions to pass Wii Sports.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
To me that might as well be #1, Wii Sports is an asterisk.

I think I might still be partial to the DS entry but yea, outside of that 8D is the best one so, well deserved.

I don't think so since they specify the Deluxe version.

What is Wii Sports' tally? It's very possible that if you even add every single Wii U console sale and just assume MK8 had a 1:1 attach rate, it still wouldn't add enough millions to pass Wii Sports.
A quick Google search said it's 82 million.

Wii U Mario Kart 8 sales is around 8 million.

Nintendo Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is close to 62 million.

So Wii Sports 82 million > Mario Kart 8 + Deluxe 70 million. A difference of 12 million.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Wii Sports still the GOAT.

Even if you want to discount the fact that it came packaged with Wiis, people bought consoles just for it.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I just found out that 21 Switch titles sold more than 10 million copies, while over 1.2 billion Switch games have been sold in total.

This gotta be some kind of all-time record, right?

Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC
A quick Google search said it's 82 million.

Wii U Mario Kart 8 sales is around 8 million.

Nintendo Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is close to 62 million.

So Wii Sports 82 million > Mario Kart 8 + Deluxe 70 million. A difference of 12 million.
Dang so probably no chance then. As evergreen as it is, I'm not sure if it's got another 12 million in the tank let alone the 20 million it'd need without counting the Wii U original. Maybe if it got repackaged again for Switch 2 but I doubt Nintendo would do that.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart ever.

I was always sour on Deluxe because when it became apparently we were only getting that instead of a new entry in the franchise for Switch, as someone who played hours upon hours on Wii U I was annoyed.

But it eventually evolved into an even more amazing insane content rich package that I truly do love now. But geez they could have really eased that annoyance a little by at least adding a couple of new/old cups for me to race on originally! Maybe spread out the expansion pack over more years, given us new things a fair bit earlier than they did!

Aug 17, 2022
Pack-ins have always counted and Wii Sports has more of an argument than most considering that it was only a pack-in in one region and not all models.

What do you mean always counted? By who? What source?

Comparing Wii Sports (or any bundled game) as sales to other stand-alone games is just dumb.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
What do you mean always counted? By who? What source?

Comparing Wii Sports (or any bundled game) as sales to other stand-alone games is just dumb.

Not a single human being on this planet has purchased a PS5 to exclusively serve as an "Astro Bot" machine. The Wii specifically had a not insignificant number of people who bought the console simply to serve as a Wii Sports machine.