• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Where's the pie chart?

Polygon.jpg

Edit: beaten

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was my first time playing 8.

Absolute masterpiece of a racer. Whilst it will be nice to see a MK9, I think Nintendo can happily ride this wave all gen.

Great idea porting it over after all!

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
MKWii was at 15.4M in a year on an install base 35.4M.

MK8 Deluxe is 9.22M in a year on an install base of 17.8M.

This game is going to have an insane LTD by the end of Switch's life cycle.

Jesus-Christ !
I could never ever imagine we could be within reach of Mario Kart Wii numbers one day.
The Switch is just something else...

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain that pie chart to me? The bigger the red part gets the smaller the blue gets. So the more Mario Kart sells the fewer hardware would have sold? That doesn't make sense. Or is the blue part meant to say "hardware sold without a copy of Mario Kart" and should the value be 489.83m - 99.76m?

Were they going for a visual representation of a percentage? Is it a 3d pie chart where the whole base is blue and then the red slice is on top to show how many hardware owners have Mario Kart?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With this number, i am sure. Ninty will probably stays with DX till the end of Switch there.

Which can only be a great things if we get the Diddy Kong Racing for another racing game.^_^

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As MK8DX is selling like a new game, it's time to let the Mario Kart team do something else.

F-Zero for sure!! I wish

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
since this game is selling just like a new mario kart and will continue to sell until the switch is dead, it would be a waste of resources to develop mk9 anytime soon. they should let that team make something else.

Deleted member 7156

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain that pie chart to me? The bigger the red part gets the smaller the blue gets. So the more Mario Kart sells the fewer hardware would have sold? That doesn't make sense. Or is the blue part meant to say "hardware sold without a copy of Mario Kart" and should the value be 489.83m - 99.76m?

Were they going for a visual representation of a percentage? Is it a 3d pie chart where the whole base is blue and then the red slice is on top to show how many hardware owners have Mario Kart?

The pie chart makes no sense, you use pie charts to break down the composition of something.

Using "total Mario Kart sales" and "total console sales" in a single pie chart is complete nonsense.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
And this is why 8 Deluxe will probably be the only Switch Mario Kart game (or at least the only one until late Switch lifecycle).

Off the top of my head, RE4 GC -> PS2 and Tomb Raider Saturn -> PS1. Certainly rare though aye, can't think of any pre Switch Nintendo examples

Mother 2 shipped 300k in Japan---Mother 1+2 sold almost 400k on GBA (though it was a collection).

Super Mario 64 shipped 11m on N64---Super Mario 64 DS shipped 11.06m on DS.

Animal Crossing sold 640k on GC in Japan---Animal Forest sold 215k on N64 in Japan.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, their forecast couldn't have possibly predicted a DX version being released, so I don't think we can hold the DX sales against them.

...so it was only a terrible prediction in about 5 different ways, rather than 6.

And since that graph, MK7 doubled its sales too. Just face it, they were completely off base here, and deserved the mocking they got for it.

With this number, i am sure. Ninty will probably stays with DX till the end of Switch there.

Which can only be a great things if we get the Diddy Kong Racing for another racing game.^_^

FIne by me.... IF they put out new DLC for it and expand roster even more.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of doubt we will get DLC for this game. Curious tho what the team is up to if they arent doing MK9. I will say it's a shame Switch doesnt get it's own MK (I said this before) but i get it. Why do it when Deluxe is selling like it is.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that people don't know that ARMS was by the Mario Kart team kinda says a lot about it.

But anyways these sales tell me that we won't see a MK9 for a while (but a full crossover kart game is highly possible)

Nov 11, 2017
Italy
The fact that people don't know that ARMS was by the Mario Kart team kinda says a lot about it.

But anyways these sales tell me that we won't see a MK9 for a while (but a full crossover kart game is highly possible)

I would like them to create - on switch - new dlc for mk8 deluxe and a new single player IP.
Mk8 deluxe -> arms -> mk8 deluxe dlc -> new IP

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That was a relatively easy task to accomplish though.
Was it though? In less than a year, for a years old port? I'm not so sure i'd call it easy. In my mind, this is a bigger feat than Odyssey selling as much as it has.

I remember a few people saying this wouldn't sell at all and shouldn't be considered as a big release lol

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
For those who have played both MK8 and MK8 Deluxe, regarding items, which one do you think have a better balance?

What I mean is that in MK8 you can only hold one item, whereas in Deluxe you can hold two, which can make the game lean more towards items than racing.

For me MK8 stroke the perfect balance between items and racing. Items make a difference but won't make you win if you only rely on them.

Two items at once makes me remember MK Wii, where you could get several positions using two items or maintain yourself ahead for a long time for having 6 bananas.

I never played MK8 Deluxe and would like to know what you think.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Still waiting for this to go on sale, as well as Skyrim.

Has this game ever been on sale? Perhsps there is a possibility that it never will?

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
For those who have played both MK8 and MK8 Deluxe, regarding items, which one do you think have a better balance?

What I mean is that in MK8 you can only hold one item, whereas in Deluxe you can hold two, which can make the game lean more towards items than racing.

For me MK8 stroke the perfect balance between items and racing. Items make a difference but won't make you win if you only rely on them.

Two items at once makes me remember MK Wii, where you could get several positions using two items or maintain yourself ahead for a long time for having 6 bananas.

I never played MK8 Deluxe and would like to know what you think.

I think that the general consensus is that the double items are great. It adds a strategic dimension to the game and protects more the leading player.

Let me explain.

In MK8, you can have only one item at a time so when you are first you are dependant of the RNG related to the box item you hit.

In MK8D, being first gives you the opportunity to score the double box. You'll get at least one defensive item (shell, banana...)+ a coin most of the time. Plus, if you got a coin in a normal box item before, you can keep it to ensure that you'll get a defensive item next time.

For each row you only have at most one double-item box, so it doesn't make the game a huge mess like MK Wii was thanks to a better balance of items too.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for this to go on sale, as well as Skyrim.

Has this game ever been on sale? Perhsps there is a possibility that it never will?

MK Wii is still sold at 40$ (and they sold 80k of those the last quarter !).

So I wouldn't expect a sale for this game, at least not before the release of the next entry.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
I think that the general consensus is that the double items are great. It adds a strategic dimension to the game and protects more the leading player.

Let me explain.

In MK8, you can have only one item at a time so when you are first you are dependant of the RNG related to the box item you hit.

In MK8D, being first gives you the opportunity to score the double box. You'll get at least one defensive item (shell, banana...)+ a coin most of the time. Plus, if you got a coin in a normal box item before, you can keep it to ensure that you'll get a defensive item next time.

For each row you only have at most one double-item box, so it doesn't make the game a huge mess like MK Wii was thanks to a better balance of items too.

Hmmmmm, so in the "item checkpoints" you only have one double box.

Yeah, that's really interesting for the 1st place, since scoring a coin when the second place scores triple red shells is no bueno.

I was afraid that the game would be messy like MK Wii, but I'm glad that the balance is still good.

Looking forward to getting it one day.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018

Yes. I personally don't think it's a particularly bad way to show a portion, albeit an unusual use of a pie chart. Basically it's saying "1 Mario Kart copy is sold for every six-ish hardware units" which I think is pretty well represented in circle form.