• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This message popped up in the game's news tab.

646738-F3-0-EFA-46-D3-AF21-305-D24351-C15.png

Once the fourth Anniversary Tour is done the game will effectively be dead. As someone who has been playing on a near-daily basis since the first tour in 2019, this honestly feels so surreal to me.

However, I knew it was going to happen soon. Datamining showed that the content pipeline was going to dry up around this point. It's just weird to see it go out like this.

Thanks for all the fun times you've given me, Tour. 🫡

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, saw it coming from the datamine, looks like Nintendo ambitions on mobile are coming to an end (only FE Heroes remains?)

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only mobile game I really got into. Played it daily for more than a year, took a break for the past months but I wanted to get back to it. That sucks, I expected the game to get new content for years.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
To be fair, if they just recycle old tours in the order that they released, there'll still be a lot of tours to play through after October. There's been over 100 tours.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
To be fair, if they just recycle old tours in the order that they released, there'll still be a lot of tours to play through after October. There's been over 100 tours.
The tours they're listing here look like the tours that have the gacha removed (the Battle Tour was the first of these, which started after the third Anniversary Tour).

I don't think they're cycling through all the tours throughout the game's whole history, just the ones from the past year.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Not gonna feign sadness at this because I always thought Tour was a hyper exploitative gacha game, but I guess I'm sorry for the people that did like it.

Nintendo always suddenly decide they're done with any GAAS type game they make and eventually just drop it like a brick, which is why I'll never invest in one.

Thankful for the content we got in 8 from Tour though, and hopefully the reason this is wrapping up is because 10 is around the corner.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if it only lasted this long since they could roll stuff into 8, but now that's wrapping up.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Not gonna feign sadness at this because I always thought Tour was a hyper exploitative gacha game, but I guess I'm sorry for the people that did like it.

Nintendo always suddenly decide they're done with any GAAS type game they make and eventually just drop it like a brick, which is why I'll never invest in one.

Thankful for the content we got in 8 from Tour though, and hopefully the reason this is wrapping up is because 10 is around the corner.
Tour hasn't been gacha for almost a year now.

Wonder if it only lasted this long since they could roll stuff into 8, but now that's wrapping up.
Yes and no. I think Tour would've continued but it got a noticeable quality boost around the time the BCP was announced. New courses have been consistently introduced ever since late 2021, whereas before that point there would be a bunch of "filler" tours where no proper new courses get added.

I think the BCP gave the Tour team a bigger budget to make due on Tour's promise of new courses coming every 2 weeks. There are a whole bunch of good stuff in made for Tour that will never make it to the BCP.

If the BCP never happened I think Tour would still exist but it would have far less content.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I, for one, am glad they can move on to simply supporting the next mainline MK title, at this point.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
Did they ever implement controller support? I just could not jive with the touch based steering

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
Welp, saw it coming from the datamine, looks like Nintendo ambitions on mobile are coming to an end (only FE Heroes remains?)
Is Animal Crossing Pocket Camp still a thing or does it not get updates anymore either? Nintendo's mobile ventures kinda came and went.

Anyway, didn't get that much into MK Tour but sad for those who play it. Though full support for the next mainline MK is welcome.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
4 years support isn't too bad.

Think i played for the 1st year or so, then stopped because it was pushing hard on gacha (more than i was comfortable with). Feel sad for those who still play.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Tour hasn't been gacha for almost a year now.

But the fact remains it was for the majority of its life, and in a game primarily marketed towards children.

I still remember downloading it for myself at launch to see just how bad it was and the immediate forced tutorialisation of how to open one of their kid friendly mario themed loot boxes always stuck with me as being particularly disgusting.

I'm glad the gacha elements were (eventually) removed, but my issue is that they were ever there in the first place.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
4 years support isn't too bad.

Think i played for the 1st year or so, then stopped because it was pushing hard on gacha (more than i was comfortable with). Feel sad for those who still play.
They removed the gacha, it was quite reasonable after that.

But yeah, the gacha pipes were brutal before.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
People talking about resouces for MK9, was it actually Nintendo that developed Tour or was it farmed out to a mobile developer?

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Mario Kart Tour ending next month, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe content ending in December… Yeah, I think they're definitely prepping for a launch window Mario Kart 9; or perhaps they'd go for a double knockout with a dual Mario exclusive launch lineup of Mario Kart 9 and the next 3D Mario?! That would be one hell of a way to start the next generation for them. Wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Damn, I could never get into it when it first released but since Christmas last year I've played it everyday and I enjoy it quite a lot to be honest. So that's a shame, but I guess it's time to move forward.

I'm really interested to see what they do with X on Switch 2.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Mario Kart Tour ending next month, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe content ending in December… Yeah, I think they're definitely prepping for a launch window Mario Kart 9; or perhaps they'd go for a double knockout with a dual Mario exclusive launch lineup of Mario Kart 9 and the next 3D Mario?! That would be one hell of a way to start the next generation for them. Wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.
Whoever at EPD 9 was reallocated towards Mario Kart 10 (Tour is supposedly 9) would've already been moved over there by now if the game is coming within the Switch 2's first year. So I'd imagine that whoever was still on Tour will either get DLC for MK10 ready or do preliminary work on another project (Ex: ARMS 2).

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Sadness. By far the most enjoyable live service mobile game for me, sad to see it go. I'll probably still mess with it while it's in maintenance mode.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Honestly? Good. And I hope Your doesn't influence too much the next MK game, especially the trashy real world courses.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame, I remember enjoying it but got pretty sick of the gacha. I heard the gacha mechanics died down recently but too little too late. Hopefully a new console Mario kart is coming soonish.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Although I had my gripes with the game, man it had such a decent run and I'm pretty glad that some of the tracks made it into Mario Kart 8 and that it finally gave us Pauline.

The fact it's gonna still be live with no confirmed shutdown date is pretty surprising. But seems after the end of new content and the last wave of MK8, man I look forward to anticipating the next Mario Kart game.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It's fascinating to see how Nintendo has generally failed to make an impact in the mobile space. Their usual method to game design is to make hardware with a gimmick and then design software to that gimmick. With mobile they just don't seem to have been able to transfer their IP into top quality experiences. Also rumours of a Zelda game being shelved etc. imply they were struggling to create games that hit their quality bar. I wonder if they'll essentially withdraw from the mobile space now.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Really glad Nintendo was not able to crack into the mobile space. They just started seeing fruits of the "one platform" strategy, and it's so good

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I'm a Mario Kart Tour player since release, is kinda surreal to see this confirmed, but expected from the data mining as other people said.

Is the only game I play on my phone, I'll totally miss it but a part of me is kind of relieved this happening since the game consume a lot of my free time (that's why I kinda hate to play FTP and mobile games) and now I can invest that time in my huge console backlog.

Anyway, I think that Tour was a great Mario Kart mobile experience (except for the gacha) the controls are so responsive and smartly adapted to a touch screen, and the combo system is amazing, wish they somehow put a new mode to win making points in the next console installment.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It's fascinating to see how Nintendo has generally failed to make an impact in the mobile space. Their usual method to game design is to make hardware with a gimmick and then design software to that gimmick. With mobile they just don't seem to have been able to transfer their IP into top quality experiences. Also rumours of a Zelda game being shelved etc. imply they were struggling to create games that hit their quality bar. I wonder if they'll essentially withdraw from the mobile space now.

Yeah it's interesting. But don't they own a stake in DeNA now? Maybe that's their way of staying in? I can't remember if they bought a part of DeNA or if it was just a business deal.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart X because Tour is evidently 9, and the X can act as a crossover symbol because this will be the Mario Kart Smash Bros. people have been wanting.

Mortal Kombat X has been dethroned.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sad but of course not a surprise. It's such a shame that Nintendo wasted their shot here. It had one of the biggest app launches ever but it was so threadbare at first that very few of those initial customers returned. If it had launched with multiplayer and dailies it would have had a totally different trajectory

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we're counting Tour wouldn't we also have to count the arcade games, so we'd be up to like Mario Kart 12 or something?
Neither Arcade GP or Home Circuit are internally developed titles, I don't think they consider them part of the Mario Kart "canon". In particular, none of the Arcade GP tracks have made appearances in the main games.