• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mario or Luigi?

• Mario

Votes: 175 36.2%
  • Luigi

Votes: 309 63.8%

• Total voters
Mar 11, 2021
What more needs to be said? Mario or Luigi?

I'd love to see deep arguments on why, as well.

png-transparent-8-bit-super-mario-illustration-super-mario-bros-new-super-mario-bros-video-game-sprite-angle-super-mario-bros-text.png

or

super-mario-maker-revamped-fantendo-super-mario-bros-nes-luigi-11563292641lgm39dxsyv.png

Last edited:

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I'm a younger sibling of 2 and my name starts with L, also I really like Luigi so he's the obvious choice for me.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Just a gag - context clues informed me this was a probable mechanic in Rabbid XCOM.
To explain it anyways, Rabbid Luigi can inflict the Vamp status effect on enemies by running into them, which allows every character to heal themselves by attacking those enemies.

It was pretty busted since it vastly outperformed every other healing method in the game and had no cooldown in between turns lol.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I liked Mario better when I could transplant his personality from the cartoons in my head. Nintendo's idea of Mr. Wahoo Letsago is boring AF by comparison.

Luigi on the other hand is actually pretty similar in all of his interpretations

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Original Luigi all the way. Those white overalls are slick as hell and I used to plug in a second controller, then die as Mario just so I could play the game with Luigi. I have siblings, but they didn't always want to play Mario with me...gotta do what you gotta do. Some of his weirdness since Melee I'm not a huge fan of, but Luigi's Mansion is phenomenal so *shrug*

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Mario.

Though they're always better together obviously where they can play off each other like in the M&L games.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to pick Mario but then I remembered the year of luigi and it made me happy

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Luigi is better but he only rises so high because he's standing on Mario's shoulders

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Luigi all the way.

Mario is nice and all, but the hero stuff comes to him naturally and he does it just because he can, maybe even enjoys it.

Luigi however, goes out of his way to do all the same kind of hero stuff to help mario and/or peach despite the fact that he's utterly terrified while doing it. When we get to see his inner thoughts during Mario and Luigi : Dream team, whenever marios in danger, his main thoughts are "I GOTTA HELP MY BIG BRO", "MUST HELP BRO", and not a single other thought runs through his mind, because when the chips are really down, despite being terrified, it's the most important thing to him.

You just gotta have more respect for a man who does what needs to be done despite being terrified, than a person who does it just because it comes naturally.

Oct 27, 2017
Mario isn't a character. He's an expression of a mood; he's action and joy incarnate. This isn't to say Mario isn't great -- he's wonderful. But he's a symbol, not a character. Luigi is because he has interiority. He's a coward and knows it, but he perseveres. Luigi is the fucking greatest.

Best summarized by Nedroid:

mario5.png

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Y'all lyin

I prefer Luigi, but experience has shown me that people generally don't. They just don't get why they should play with less friction and more momentum, or why the 2nd campaign in 3D Land is some of the best Mario gameplay around. It's because you can be Luigi throughout it.

Galaxy 2 righted the wrong of the first game, and let you be Luigi without having to 100% the game or whatever dumb requirement the first one had.

He's a better game.

Oh, and Luigi's Mansion is great. Fools scoffed at it, said "I'm waiting for the real Mario game", and were left with Sunshine like they deserved.

This is the only forum on the net that will vote Luigi because it's weird as fuck.

People want to be contrarians. That being said, Luigi is actually just better. They're missing an opportunity to genuinely accept the truth of the universe.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Luigi may be scared sometimes but he soldiers on and faces his fears. And that is true bravery.
Also, it is scientifically proven by the Zyrox Insitute of totally correct Science that green is a better color than red.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Luigi is the man. Gets a fraction of the glory but gets the job done anyway. I always play as Luigi. The kart experience with Luigi's "fuck around and find out" stare is perfection.