• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I hope if Bowser is one of the playable characters that he is like Donkey Kong in the first game's DLC in that he has unique abilities which change the way the fights works pretty substantially (not the same abilities as DK though). Would be a good way to mix up the gameplay if he is a mid-to-late game team addition.

Also, Rabbid Rosalina basically being a moody teenager is great. Reminds me of this scene:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
multiplayer.it interview with summary

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy

Italian website multiplayer.it interviewed Davide Soliani and Cristina Nava from Ubisoft Milan (credits to Vincenzo Lettera for the Interview), of course they couldn't disclose everything about the game but they still dropped some very insightful information:
-The team composition doesn't have any limits this time around, you can go all rabbids or all mushroom kingdom if you so chose (this was said to be one of multiple fan demands/suggestions the team took very seriously).
-The player seemingly has no limit of movement within the movement range.
-The development team and general scope of the project as stated previously has grown considerably, the previous game was handled by Ubisoft Milan and Paris with a team of just over 100 devs, this time around other Ubisoft subsidiaries are involved and the team is three times as big.
-Free camera.
-The exploration element is less linear, but the game isn't Open World.

Last edited:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018

Italian website multiplayer.it interviewed Davide Soliani and Cristina Nava (credits to Vincenzo Lettera for the Interview) from Ubisoft Milan, of course they couldn't disclose everything about the game but they still dropped some very insightful information, the team composition doesn't have any limits this time around, you can go all rabbids or all mushroom kingdom if you so chose (this was said to be one of multiple fan demands/suggestions the team took very seriously). The player seemingly has no limit of movement within his range. The development team and general scope of the project as stated previously has grown considerably, the previous game was handled by Ubisoft Milan and Paris with a team of just over 100 devs, this time around other Ubisoft subsidiaries are involved and the team is three times as big.

Awesome! I didn't mind the idea of forcing us to have 1 Rabbid, but I really disliked that I was forced to have Mario on the team, meaning you couldn't have Luigi + Peach , Luigi + Yoshi or Peach + Yoshi.

The first game also lacked a bit of polish and was too repetitive outside of battle. Both things were greatly improved with the DLC so I'm looking forward to this.

The real time battles are less interesting to me, but we'll see.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds amazing, yeah you could see the game's scope was expanded a lot from the first game.
I didn't mind having to mix Rabbit and Nintendo characters for the first game but it's still great to hear.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I didn't mind the idea of forcing us to have 1 Rabbid, but I really disliked that I was forced to have Mario on the team, meaning you couldn't have Luigi + Peach , Luigi + Yoshi or Peach + Yoshi.

The first game also lacked a bit of polish and was too repetitive outside of battle. Both things were greatly improved with the DLC so I'm looking forward to this.

The real time battles are less interesting to me, but we'll see.
From what I understand, the battles are not real time, each teams play after the other.

However you are less limited into your movements. You can go at your left grab a Bomb-Omb and throw it, while taking coverage on the completely opposite direction.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

Italian website multiplayer.it interviewed Davide Soliani and Cristina Nava from Ubisoft Milan (credits to Vincenzo Lettera for the Interview), of course they couldn't disclose everything about the game but they still dropped some very insightful information:
-The team composition doesn't have any limits this time around, you can go all rabbids or all mushroom kingdom if you so chose (this was said to be one of multiple fan demands/suggestions the team took very seriously).
-The development team and general scope of the project as stated previously has grown considerably, the previous game was handled by Ubisoft Milan and Paris with a team of just over 100 devs, this time around other Ubisoft subsidiaries are involved and the team is three times as big.
-Free camera.

I'm so hyped for this now. They've made all the changes I hoped to see.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

-Free camera.

thanks for sharing the interview and the summary 🙏

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
SO HYPED!
This has been (for me) the best announcement of E3 (even if Dread and SMT have been great too)

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018

-Free camera.

Nice! I love everything about it so far, except for the lack of Yoshi, which is a blasphemy!

Can't wait to see more about the game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seeing the games scope and team size increase to such an extent makes me really happy. i always knew a sequel was inevitable but i kinda expected something like the DK expansion, just bigger.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to tell you, Yoshi was sacrificed to become the fuel they needed to escape the planet
this but with spaceships

tumblr_nafgk9JcLA1qdlh1io1_500.gif

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
seeing the games scope and team size increase to such an extent makes me really happy. i always knew a sequel was inevitable but i kinda expected something like the DK expansion, just bigger.
Imho it's also a good call from a business perspective, Switch will still be hot in 2022 due to an already strong lineup, which Sparks of Hope contributes to, the first game was met with the preconception of the leak, but now everyone knows how good of a game it was: they can afford to have a less aggressive sales strategy, folks who bought the original for 10 or 15 bucks now might bite at 20 or 30, increasing earnings per unit sold. If they advertise it properly this could be one of the most important Switch exclusives of 2022.

On a less business oriented note, I didn't mention it in the summary but Nava pointed out that they were met with an incredibly positive reception for the reveal, the original leak happened several months before the game was even announced and while the game was probably close to being finished, it likely had an impact on the morale of the team. Now on the other hand we're looking at a game with likely 6-8 (my guess) more months of development that the devs know we're stoked about.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
From what I understand, the battles are not real time, each teams play after the other.

However you are less limited into your movements. You can go at your left grab a Bomb-Omb and throw it, while taking coverage on the completely opposite direction.
Seems like it, yeah. Still, I couldn't see a grid so I'm expecting it to be less strategic in that sense. The last time you gave orders and saw the result of them in play, but there were a lot of things that could happen thanks to the abilities and effects.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have very distinct memories of the first game having a more dreamy/atmospheric look, which may have a lot to do with the lighting/DOF on certain stages:

6QCaevO.jpg

I like the scope and the overall sharpness I'm seeing in the various videos for the sequel, and I do hope they go all-out with things like lighting and creative level layouts/exploration. Oh well, whatever the case, still getting/playing this! The first game is one of my favorites on the system.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Seems like it, yeah. Still, I couldn't see a grid so I'm expecting it to be less strategic in that sense. The last time you gave orders and saw the result of them in play, but there were a lot of things that could happen thanks to the abilities and effects.
there not being a grid has no effect on this being a turn-based tactics game like the first one. have a look at valkyria chronicles or code name s.t.e.a.m. for other turn-based tactics game with free movement.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
But will this one actually have online Co-op? I just want the ability to take turns controlling each team member so we can experience this game together, not just the side mode in the battle rooms.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
there not being a grid has no effect on this being a turn-based tactics game like the first one. have a look at valkyria chronicles or code name s.t.e.a.m. for other turn-based tactics game with free movement.
I trust what you mean about strategy being possible, but Codename Steam did have a grid.

CodenameSteamMarth610.jpg

You had a limited amount of steam for each turn and had to distribute it between movement and attacks, with each character having different steam reserves and weapons that affected how you could use that bar.

The enemies stopping you once they spot you actually reminds me of Kingdom Battle's passive abilities, except it could be more frustrating here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I trust what you mean about strategy being possible, but Codename Steam did have a grid.

CodenameSteamMarth610.jpg

You had a limited amount of steam for each turn and had to distribute it between movement and attacks, with each character having different steam reserves and weapons that affected how you could use that bar.

The enemies stopping you once they spot you actually reminds me of Kingdom Battle's passive abilities, except it could be more frustrating here.
yes but the grid just made things easier to parse for players and the game. you being able to move, idk, 7 tiles in M+R KB is not much different from your movement circle being about the same width, just that the game doesn't visually structure the battlefield into tiles. they didn't say anything about there being no more "overwatch" ability (which only a few characters had anyhow). that's what you're referring to here btw, the "enemies stopping you" - it's a key mechanic from the XCOM reboot called "overwatch" that made its way into all those modern games now. Mario and Peach could still have these, regardless of a grid.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
your summary is being posted on nintendo news sites :)
mynintendonews.com

Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope development team is three times bigger than the original

Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope was revealed at this year’s E3 digital event and it looks brilliant. Italian website Multiplayer received the chance to chat with Davide Soliani…
nintendoeverything.com

Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope dev team three times bigger than the original, other tidbits

Multiplayer.it, recently spoke with Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope developers Davide Soliani and Cristina Nava. The two shared some additional tidbits about the project, including an interesting detail about the actual team. Fans might be interested to hear that on the original Mario + Rabbids...

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
your summary is being posted on nintendo news sites :)
mynintendonews.com

Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope development team is three times bigger than the original

Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope was revealed at this year’s E3 digital event and it looks brilliant. Italian website Multiplayer received the chance to chat with Davide Soliani…
nintendoeverything.com

Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope dev team three times bigger than the original, other tidbits

Multiplayer.it, recently spoke with Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope developers Davide Soliani and Cristina Nava. The two shared some additional tidbits about the project, including an interesting detail about the actual team. Fans might be interested to hear that on the original Mario + Rabbids...
cool, hope people are excited for the changes made to the game. It's kinda crazy to think Italy of all places would get to work on Mario, the development scene isn't as healthy as say Spain or Sweden, yet somehow Ubi Milan managed to get Nintendo's main IP and Milestone got the license for Hot Wheels.