flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Someone please make a gif of Sonic Judo throwing Peach from that trailer.
nNN47R0.gif

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
Sega is going the extra mile with both Olympic Games games this time. I'm really happy with the stuff they are showing.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Japanese trailer finally shows the three Dream Events, and also a bit of the Story Mode.

Looks like the story mode has a couple Dream Event-style minigames. Shame they don't seem to be available for multiplayer.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
And this is Hedgehog Engine 2, as well, right?

It'll be something else if Sonic Team can keep up this momentum with their next title.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they actually included the 1964 Olympics is pretty wild. Mario lore is untouched in sheer DEPTH.

Quinton

Staff Writer at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
This isn't really my thing per se but if I were more interested then it would certainly seal the deal. Very cool stuff.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Can they just release this as a remake of Hyper Olympic (but a budget title) and leave out all the 3D stuff? Cheers.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

The content... Holy heck there seems to be a lot of it.
Three dream events look good, but there seemed to be others in the story mode too. Hopefully you can unlock those for individual play.

And the 8-bit dream events. YUSH!

Edit: We need a gif for that Wario dadbod jiggle in the podium

Apr 21, 2018

...there's so much content. Most of the games/mini-games still look a little weak, but I am blown away by the amount of content. The retro mode, the mini games, online, dream sports, story mode...wow.

Just wow. I might actually get this one. Could be one of the best local multiplayer games on switch with that much to do.

I still just hope the skateboarding/rock-climbing/surfing/judo stuff isn't god-awful.

OP
OP
Hadok

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Also The 2D events only use buttons and nothing else.This is very old school ah ah :)

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
That overview trailer is insane. M&S games have always been a bit of a mixed bag but this is the first one that seems to have no concessions whatsoever, we get the quality and polish of a console version with all the extra content that the handheld versions get. I'm really impressed by those minigames they show at the end of the JP trailer, most of them look like they'll be just as fun as the normal events. I also love that they're finally not afraid to let characters wear different outfits. I never knew I wanted shirtless Wario but damn it, it WORKS!

As for the retro events, they're mostly just a cool graphical gimmick so I'm not blown away or anything, but that exclusive Marathon event seems like fun. I just need some confirmation that online play system is as good as the one in Sega's other Tokyo 2020 game and this will easily be a GOTY contender for me.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
how have these games been in the past? are the minigames actually fun? might sell my copy of mario party and get this

how's the soccer game?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
how have these games been in the past? are the minigames actually fun? might sell my copy of mario party and get this

how's the soccer game?
Both the first Winter Games and the London 2012 Games were fantastic on Wii; the traditional olympic events were fine, but the Dream Events were the best thing; they put a spin on the sports with Mario and Sonic setting and items and you get even some Boss Battles here and there.

The Sochi 2014 game was fine, but they gave way too much attention to a Story Mode in the game, while the Dream Events got a short end of the stick and were reduced drastically.

Rio 2016 is a great mechanically functional game, and the soccer was surprisly in depth. Boxe was also super fun, but the game lacked so much of the fanservice of both series and had no Dream Events at all.. and the close we had was a singular Beach Volleyball that had M&S items.

This one is shapping to be the best one in the series yet; they got everything right, and even with a still small amount of Dream Events, they returning is a relief.

of course, I can also mention that the soundtrack (and remixes in particular) always have been great! Even in the first game that wasn't the best first impression.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
YouTube just autoplayed one of the latest trailers for this, and I have to say it's looking surprisingly good. I've never played a game in the series before, but the likes of soccer, skating, surfing and the retro modes all look quite appealing.

How does multiplayer usually work in these games? If there's a Mario Party-esque setup with randomized events, that would seal the deal for me.