Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely, soberly am suggesting we should not have cameras in Congress, at the very least not in committee meetings. There's a good reason the Supreme Court has resisted cameras. It all sounds great in principle, but in action it has destroyed Congress' ability to function.

Committee hearings weren't clown shows of gotcha questions before cameras. Serious discussions and fact finding were practiced. The was bipartisan horsetrading. Now it's all premeditated to score soundbites that play well on cable news and social media for the base. Heaven forbid the base sees bipartisanship or across the aisle cordiality, lest they be primaried (our even larger mistake was the open primary system btw).

We laugh at MTG here, but we weren't the audience. That cascade of boos was exactly what she was after, and those thinking she was humiliated are sorely mistaken. This outcome was predetermined, and she still brought the motion forward. Simply ask yourself, "Why?"

Yea…cameras are what made Rs and their constituents what they are today. Legitimately a terrible take.

Clydefrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hawaii
Moe-Walks-to-Rejects-Side-The-Simpson.gif

less

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing MTG humiliated is the next best thing to the House GOP on fire on the next few weeks had the mtv passed.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
Yea…cameras are what made Rs and their constituents what they are today. Legitimately a terrible take.

Cameras and attention seeking started the slide to what the modern GOP has become. Newt Gingrich was one of the first politicians to take advantage of cspan cameras always being on by giving speeches to an empty chamber. This was before the internet and social media amplified these terrible politicians who raise money nationally instead of in their districts.

Getting rid of them now wouldn't fix much because the damage is done and the show has moved elsewhere.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Cameras and attention seeking started the slide to what the modern GOP has become. Newt Gingrich was one of the first politicians to take advantage of cspan cameras always being on by giving speeches to an empty chamber. This was before the internet and social media amplified these terrible politicians who raise money nationally instead of in their districts.

Getting rid of them now wouldn't fix much because the damage is done and the show has moved elsewhere.

How come it didn't have the same affect for the other side?

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
I absolutely, soberly am suggesting we should not have cameras in Congress, at the very least not in committee meetings. There's a good reason the Supreme Court has resisted cameras. It all sounds great in principle, but in action it has destroyed Congress' ability to function.

Committee hearings weren't clown shows of gotcha questions before cameras. Serious discussions and fact finding were practiced. The was bipartisan horsetrading. Now it's all premeditated to score soundbites that play well on cable news and social media for the base. Heaven forbid the base sees bipartisanship or across the aisle cordiality, lest they be primaried (our even larger mistake was the open primary system btw).

We laugh at MTG here, but we weren't the audience. That cascade of boos was exactly what she was after, and those thinking she was humiliated are sorely mistaken. This outcome was predetermined, and she still brought the motion forward. Simply ask yourself, "Why?"
mccarthy-joseph-raymond2.jpg

Well technically film cameras but then your asking to go back to 100 years ago.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
How come it didn't have the same affect for the other side?

Do you not think Republican politicians are more performative?

It's a lot easier to stuff like this when a lot of your base are single-issue voters. If you know you can re-elected by just screaming "They're out to get your guns!" then, like others have said, you just constantly spread fear about that in televised hearings, during sessions, etc.

MTG's thing is fighting the swamp or whatever, her base sees this as an attempt to remove anyone from power who doesn't conform to their extremist views.

I'm not sure what you think it would look like if a Democrat did something similar to this, or other publicity stunts (presumably you think it could happen if you have to ask the question), but relative to Republicans, especially MAGA Republicans, Democrats are less likely to be single-issue voters, and since they generally approve of various government programs like welfare, health mandates, public education, etc, the "I'm purposefully making it so nothing gets done" angle isn't appealing to them.

To be clear, those are reasons it hasn't had the SAME effect. It would be ridiculous to say that no Democrat has ever asked a question in a hearing for the purpose of using it as a sound bite, or performatively filed a motion they know will fail, or whatever.

But yeah, MAGA Republicans are being rewarded for proactively making government less effective. Democrats don't see that as a good thing, so their elected officials are never going to rewarded as much for going full clown show.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Do you not think Republican politicians are more performative?

It's a lot easier to stuff like this when a lot of your base are single-issue voters. If you know you can re-elected by just screaming "They're out to get your guns!" then, like others have said, you just constantly spread fear about that in televised hearings, during sessions, etc.

MTG's thing is fighting the swamp or whatever, her base sees this as an attempt to remove anyone from power who doesn't conform to their extremist views.

I'm not sure what you think it would look like if a Democrat did something similar to this, or other publicity stunts (presumably you think it could happen if you have to ask the question), but relative to Republicans, especially MAGA Republicans, Democrats are less likely to be single-issue voters, and since they generally approve of various government programs like welfare, health mandates, public education, etc, the "I'm purposefully making it so nothing gets done" angle isn't appealing to them.

To be clear, those are reasons it hasn't had the SAME effect. It would be ridiculous to say that no Democrat has ever asked a question in a hearing for the purpose of using it as a sound bite, or performatively filed a motion they know will fail, or whatever.

But yeah, MAGA Republicans are being rewarded for proactively making government less effective. Democrats don't see that as a good thing, so their elected officials are never going to rewarded as much for going full clown show.

MAGA? Sure i can roll with performative bs. Going back to Newt and cameras? Nah that was America being America.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
MAGA? Sure i can roll with performative bs. Going back to Newt and cameras? Nah that was America being America.

I mean, if there's no cameras there's no audience.

There's a big difference between Newt spouting off on Fox or whatever and the government regularly not functioning because of stuff like this. People like Matt Gaetz and MTG would lose a ton of their appeal if they couldn't fuck around on camera.

And this stuff is an escalation of what Newt started, I'm not sure why you're acted like they're separate things, or unrelated.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

There's a big difference between Newt spouting off on Fox or whatever and the government regularly not functioning because of stuff like this. People like Matt Gaetz and MTG would lose a ton of their appeal if they couldn't fuck around on camera.

And this stuff is an escalation of what Newt started, I'm not sure why you're acted like they're separate things, or unrelated.

Nevermind. It's all good.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

Umm.. performative congressional hearings on camera have been a thing since the 1940s, way back when Howard Hughes was before the Senate
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...er-engage-in-heated-news-footage/1B012197_012

It's not some new phenomenon with MTG, Newt or other MAGA Republicans. The real factor is the almost complete extinction of competitive GE districts across the country. The incentives now are to appeal to the extremes in order to win the primaries because after the primary, the GE is a cakewalk. So you have a large chunk of House members who are completely detached from the rest of the country.

And sure, the grifting culture has been especially strong on the GOP side in the last 20 years, so yes when certain House members are in front of the cameras, they primarily use it for grifting, fundraising, and raising their profile for future grifting. But suddenly getting rid of cameras in Congress after over 80 years isn't suddenly going to make certain MAGA congressmen grift any less. They'll just continue going on conservative radio and Fox News / Newsmax / etc.

The upside to having cameras is that it allows us the people to see how our government functions (or not function). Putting everything inside a blackbox makes it far easier for special interests to completely control the game out of sight. It's also important just to see how our representatives cast votes. Having cameras does create a certain level of accountability (ie. is your rep evening showing up for votes or paying attention in hearings).

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Umm.. performative congressional hearings on camera have been a thing since the 1940s, way back when Howard Hughes was before the Senate
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...er-engage-in-heated-news-footage/1B012197_012

It's not some new phenomenon with MTG, Newt or other MAGA Republicans. The real factor is the almost complete extinction of competitive GE districts across the country. The incentives now are to appeal to the extremes in order to win the primaries because after the primary, the GE is a cakewalk. So you have a large chunk of House members who are completely detached from the rest of the country.

And sure, the grifting culture has been especially strong on the GOP side in the last 20 years, so yes when certain House members are in front of the cameras, they primarily use it for grifting, fundraising, and raising their profile for future grifting. But suddenly getting rid of cameras in Congress after over 80 years isn't suddenly going to make certain MAGA congressmen grift any less. They'll just continue going on conservative radio and Fox News / Newsmax / etc.

The upside to having cameras is that it allows us the people to see how our government functions (or not function). Putting everything inside a blackbox makes it far easier for special interests to completely control the game out of sight. It's also important just to see how our representatives cast votes. Having cameras does create a certain level of accountability (ie. is your rep evening showing up for votes or paying attention in hearings).

I don't strongly disagree with anything you're saying.

But I still think it could potentially be useful to dictate when and where grifters can do their thing. Like yeah, if Matt Gaetz couldn't ask ridiculously loaded questions during a televised hearing he would still spout his bullshit on Fox.

But that could still make the hearing more productive, no?

For the record, I think overall it makes more sense to be as transparent as possible, and that ultimately MAGA shenanigans curry favor among a small group of extremists, and lose Republicans credibility with everyone else.

But still, I think there's a conversation to be had, posts like "legitimately terrible take" are a bit much.

Nevermind. It's all good.

Sweet.

Your drive-by take-downs of others' opinions are already evidence enough you're the smartest in the room. Why bother continuing when you've already dropped the mic with knowledge like "ok."

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't strongly disagree with anything you're saying.

But I still think it could potentially be useful to dictate when and where grifters can do their thing. Like yeah, if Matt Gaetz couldn't ask ridiculously loaded questions during a televised hearing he would still spout his bullshit on Fox.

But that could still make the hearing more productive, no?

For the record, I think overall it makes more sense to be as transparent as possible, and that ultimately MAGA shenanigans curry favor among a small group of extremists, and lose Republicans credibility with everyone else.

But still, I think there's a conversation to be had, posts like "legitimately terrible take" are a bit much.

Sweet.

Your drive-by take-downs of others' opinions are already evidence enough you're the smartest in the room. Why bother continuing when you've already dropped the mic with knowledge like "ok."

Thanks for confirming why i chose not to engage you. It's still all good.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
The "uniparty..." What a craven dog-whistle, and proof perfect that the only thing this POS cares about is chaos and division over actual governance.