Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just got around to watching PlayStation's "The Road To PS5" presentation - and I can't believe how fast it blew by - even though it was nearly an hour in length!

Mark Cerny is who I wish was my high school teacher - and I mean that for every single class that I took...as a matter of fact, I wish he was my every college professor and I wouldn't mind if he was my life coach! Everything that he says is eloquent, succinct and to the point and he words his vernacular in such a way that it is not only easy to compartmentalize and understand, but enjoyable to listen to.

I'm a reasonably intelligent person, but after listening to him explain things during this presentation, I feel like I could have designed the PlayStation 5.

If you haven't seen it yet, you need to watch this - he is absolutely incredible and is an unbelievably amazing asset to Sony.

To you, Mark Cerny:
BruisedAdventurousGelding-size_restricted.gif

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I was sleeping. :<

I respect his expertise, but this wasn't what I needed after this info drought.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
He'd be a great teacher. He talks like Bob Ross but instead of a paintbrush he uses a dualshock.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
I can't disagree that he is good at explaining stuff.

But at the same time, I almost fell asleep during the presentation haha. I guess his calming voice doesn't help.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the game's industry, I love getting detailed console specs, I love watching game dev talks... with that said (nothing against the guy personally) I legit almost fell asleep I was so bored. A video detailed a new video game console and I shut it off before the end.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely loved his presentation today. There are few in this industry as knowledgeable and as experienced as Mark Cerny and we've been lucky to have him since Marble Madness.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Agreed. He knew what he was talking about and was able to communicate it very well with little-to-no jitters. It's remarkable when someone can do both very well like Cerny did.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
If you are going to do dry engineering talk, then Mark Cerny is certainly your man. I liked the presentation, but this is what I expected it would be. I understand why so many are disappointed though.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually surprised that the response was overall negative here. Well, not really.

There were some interesting stuffs talked about and he made them all sounded amazing.

winwood

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I couldn't help but hear Jonny Depp as Willy Wonka.

He is very clear and has good pacing giving you time to digest his words though.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
He talks like some one who knows you can't trust them but they're trying to convince you anyway.

I got that when he talked about Dolby Atmos. To me it just sounded like they didn't want to pay for the licence but he sells the idea of endless possibilities with their custom audio design.

he is fucking intelligent.

Yes he is without sounding arrogant and more importantly being able to deliver in a way most of us can understand.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I think the inspiration for the SSSD was his own brain.

Will hopefully get to hear more from him in interviews leading up to the PS5 launch.

EPaul

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed, i only understand 30 % of what he was talking about but i was interested throughout the 50 mins

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly haven't seen much of Cerny before. But I watched that vid while having some late breakfast this morning and it's pretty impressive just how well he held my attention while also being so low-key. I think I need this dude to narrate some audio books for me. That or some nature docs lol

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Total opposite effect on me. I turned it off after 10 minutes and waited for the DF breakdown. He sounds like that hippie teacher on Beavis and Butt-head.

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
It was a good presentation for developers of PS5. I learned something new. But wrong choice for a general audience.