• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fdst1983

Aug 26, 2018
A list created by Martin Scorsese detailing his favourite films of all time has surfaced online, a wide ranging selection of iconic cinematic history pieced together by a modern great.

Part of the New Hollywood wave of filmmaking, 76-year-old Scorsese is in the midst of a major promotional campaign as he prepares to release The Irishman, his latest project which has brought together the likes of Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci in an all-star cast. Scorsese's love for cinema knows no bounds, a deep-seated obsession that has been engrained into his life from the age of three when his parents began taking him to the cinema. "Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things," the filmmaker once said. "They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life time, we need to keep them alive."

Having started creating ludicrously impressive storyboards at the age of 11, Scorsese has repeatedly paid homage to some of cinema's all-time greats throughout his career. "The term 'giant' is used too often to describe artists," Scorsese once said when asked about some of cinema's most creative forces. "But in the case of Akira Kurosawa, we have one of the rare instances where the term fits," he added. So it comes as a slight surprise, then, that Scorsese opted not to include the great Japanese artist as part of the list he created for Sight and Sound magazine. Mind you, he didn't leave much space for manoeuvre.

2001: A Space Odyssey – Stanley Kubrick, 1968.
8½ – Federico Fellini, 1963.
Ashes and Diamonds – Andrzej Wajda, 1958.
Citizen Kane – Orson Welles, 1941.
The Leopard – Luchino Visconti, 1963.
Paisan – Roberto Rossellini, 1946.
The Red Shoes – Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger, 1948.
The River – Jean Renoir, 1951.
Salvatore Giuliano – Francesco Rosi, 1962.
The Searchers – John Ford, 1956.
Ugetsu Monogatari – Mizoguchi Kenji, 1953.
Vertigo – Alfred Hitchcock, 1958.

The inclusion of Luchino Visconti film The Leopard should come as little surprise to those who have followed Scorsese's career choices over the years and, in numerous interviews, how the director has referenced those who have inspired him.

When discussing Visconti in previous years, Scorsese said: "He has often been referred to as a great political artist, but that's too limiting and frozen a description," with renewed admiration. "He had a strong sense of the particular manner in which absolutely everyone, from the Sicilian fishermen in his neorealist classic La Terra Trema to the Venetian aristocrats in Senso, was affected by the grand movements of history," he added.

Just saw two of those (vertigo & 2001), some of the other ones, I never heard of.
What do you think of this list? You agree with those movies? Are there good?

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
This is the type of list I'd expect from him. There are a number of films here that I need to watch, maybe I'll do Vertigo tonight.

Oct 25, 2017
México
These lists by directors are always boring and pretentious. I prefer Speed Racer than most of the movies in that list (with the only exception being 2001).

Speed Racer has way better cinematography and direction than most of those boring/pretentious films.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Thought for sure at least one of the Fast & Furious movies would've been on there.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These lists by directors are always boring and pretentious. I prefer Speed Racer than most of the movies in that list (with the only exception being 2001).

Speed Racer has way better cinematography and direction than most of those boring/pretentious films.
this is a particularly good troll because on this forum it could actually be serious

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Ghhhn. Trolling...or not...trolling...?

Oct 28, 2017
A list created by Martin Scorsese detailing his favourite films of all time has surfaced online, a wide ranging selection of iconic cinematic history pieced together by a modern great.

Part of the New Hollywood wave of filmmaking, 76-year-old Scorsese is in the midst of a major promotional campaign as he prepares to release The Irishman, his latest project which has brought together the likes of Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci in an all-star cast. Scorsese's love for cinema knows no bounds, a deep-seated obsession that has been engrained into his life from the age of three when his parents began taking him to the cinema. "Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things," the filmmaker once said. "They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life time, we need to keep them alive."

Having started creating ludicrously impressive storyboards at the age of 11, Scorsese has repeatedly paid homage to some of cinema's all-time greats throughout his career. "The term 'giant' is used too often to describe artists," Scorsese once said when asked about some of cinema's most creative forces. "But in the case of Akira Kurosawa, we have one of the rare instances where the term fits," he added. So it comes as a slight surprise, then, that Scorsese opted not to include the great Japanese artist as part of the list he created for Sight and Sound magazine. Mind you, he didn't leave much space for manoeuvre.

2001: A Space Odyssey – Stanley Kubrick, 1968.
8½ – Federico Fellini, 1963.
Ashes and Diamonds – Andrzej Wajda, 1958.
Citizen Kane – Orson Welles, 1941.
The Leopard – Luchino Visconti, 1963.
Paisan – Roberto Rossellini, 1946.
The Red Shoes – Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger, 1948.
The River – Jean Renoir, 1951.
Salvatore Giuliano – Francesco Rosi, 1962.
The Searchers – John Ford, 1956.
Ugetsu Monogatari – Mizoguchi Kenji, 1953.
Vertigo – Alfred Hitchcock, 1958.

The inclusion of Luchino Visconti film The Leopard should come as little surprise to those who have followed Scorsese's career choices over the years and, in numerous interviews, how the director has referenced those who have inspired him.

When discussing Visconti in previous years, Scorsese said: "He has often been referred to as a great political artist, but that's too limiting and frozen a description," with renewed admiration. "He had a strong sense of the particular manner in which absolutely everyone, from the Sicilian fishermen in his neorealist classic La Terra Trema to the Venetian aristocrats in Senso, was affected by the grand movements of history," he added.

Just saw two of those (vertigo & 2001), some of the other ones, I never heard of.
What do you think of this list? You agree with those movies? Are there good?

Meh... where's White Men Can't Jump?

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019

tbt.gif

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone that thinks Speed Racer is even a good looking movie hasn't watched it in the past five years. It looks like the old, original Reboot tv show in CG quality.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
I'm gonna say it...

Vertigo is mad overrated and one of my least favorite Hitchcocks. Kim Novak is not good in that film at all and the form of the film completely overwhelms the content.

Get you some of that Rebecca.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. If I was famous and someone asked me for my list, this list in comparison makes me look like a child or someone with really low brow taste or something.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Interesting that he only lists movies that preceed his career.

Would have been cooler if he would have listed some movies after 1972

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen half of these, and yeah, really solid picks.

That's because he's a 76 year old man, he literally grew up on these films. That's like asking all the current big directors to stop mentioning they like Star Wars.
More or less true, yeah. Although it's a bit disappointing that literally nothing in the last *50* years is on there. It's fine to be weighted heavily toward influences, of course.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

I don't like this thing, so these people are liars and just trying to look cool.

Also objectively the cinematography is NOT better than most of these films.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The Leopard is excellent.

Marty always includes Paisan on these lists but that film didn't really go it for me... loved Rome Open City, but Paisan has far too many English-speaking non-actors whose terrible line deliveries really undermine the film. I assume Paisan is more on the list because he grew up watching it as a kid or something.

I don't think you've seen any of the movies here