• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Considering how things seem to be shaking out on the live action side I wish this wasn't aimed at pre-schoolers. We seem to be on the cusp of adult non-comedy western animation being more accepted it would be the perfect time for them to make an adult focused but family friendly okay for kids animation version of comic age Parker.

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to the Disney XD one they just made?
latest

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
deadline.com

Marvel Announces New Spider-Man Animated Series For Disney Junior Amid Rift With Sony Over Film Franchise

During Marvel Animation & Family Entertainment's panel at Disney's D23 Expo on Friday evening, the company announced a new original preschool animated series for Disney Junior, Marvel’s Spidey and His Amazing Friends.

Set to launch in 2021. Guess this confirms Marvel owns the animated TV rights.
isn't that why Spectacular Spider-Man got canned? and Ultimate Spider-Man animated series is by Marvel, right?

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't say it was, just that there is a push and a chance, netflix is doing some good on that front, and if Disney participated it would help.

And I don't mean it is or will be mainstream and all of the west will all of a sudden be animation hounds.

But in a world and culture where until recently with only a few exceptions if you did adult animation it had to fit into either the simpsons/family guy half hour sitcom, or South Park/Comedy Central half hour gross out style, with the only real outlier being adult swim, where even then with the addition of other elements and shows in genres that were not explicitly comedy everything was still focused on being funny we are finally at a point where some companies are finding there is an audience for adult animation that isn't anime that is in other genres and played straight and so are putting the effort into making it, ie finding it acceptable to make since there is an audience that finds it acceptable watch, on the cusp since it's kind of in test mode right now and the success or failure of the shows will heavily play into if it lasts, best example being castlevania which has enough success to prod netflix into expanding the category.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't say it was, just that there is a push and a chance, netflix is doing some good on that front, and if Disney participated it would help.

And I don't mean it is or will be mainstream and all of the west will all of a sudden be animation hounds.

But in a world and culture where until recently with only a few exceptions if you did adult animation it had to fit into either the simpsons/family guy half hour sitcom, or South Park/Comedy Central half hour gross out style, with the only real outlier being adult swim, where even then with the addition of other elements and shows in genres that were not explicitly comedy everything was still focused on being funny we are finally at a point where some companies are finding there is an audience for adult animation that isn't anime that is in other genres and played straight and so are putting the effort into making it, ie finding it acceptable to make since there is an audience that finds it acceptable watch, on the cusp since it's kind of in test mode right now and the success or failure of the shows will heavily play into if it lasts, best example being castlevania which has enough success to prod netflix into expanding the category.
I wish I shared your optimism, but Into the Spider-Verse seem primed to break the mold and finally reach a wider audience, but even at it's most successful, it still seems like a niche. I successful enough niche at times, which is why anime still finds good success in the West, but a niche none the less.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
To the uninformed, myself, did so t have those rights before?

Sony almost list the rights to Spider-Man in the gap between Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-M an. Marvel granted them an extension in exchange for the tv/animation and merchandise rights.

that deal is what killed Spectacular Spider-Man

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony almost list the rights to Spider-Man in the gap between Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-M an. Marvel granted them an extension in exchange for the tv/animation and merchandise rights.

that deal is what killed Spectacular Spider-Man
Why would Marvel grant them an extension? Wouldn't they have also lost the TV/merchandising rights at the same time as the movie rights?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Why does Disney hate animated Spider-Man so much?

It's like they intentionally try to make these shows into irredeemable shit.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, I thought Lord and Miller were signed to make a Spider-Verse TV series with Sony?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Why would Marvel grant them an extension? Wouldn't they have also lost the TV/merchandising rights at the same time as the movie rights?
I think Disney denying the extension will just make Sony rushed a really bad Spider-man movie and end up still keeping the right to everything. Disney saw their chance to get merchandising rights which worth a lot and go for it.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
My wife loves watching the recent Spider-Man cartoons but she's getting real pissed off with them just getting cancelled and replaced with other things mid story. Idiots leave on like cliffhangers then just go oh well let's do something else.

All I can tell her is to (obviously) not get too invested but she can't help it lol, it must be really frustraiting.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Disney wants kids hooked on Marvel early. They had Spider-Man diapers at Walmart the other day. Had a bit of a chuckle with that.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
This seems like it is going to suffer from the same issues the recent Spider-man show does. The supporting cast being made up of other spider characters like Miles or Spider-gwen. How hard is it just to follow the formula spectacular laid out? Spidey has always had a great cast. Why put so emphasis on the other shit spider characters?

Oct 27, 2017
Can't they just make something lile The Animated Series but with better animations/pacing? That one along with spectacular spidey were the best.

Hell, even Spider Man Unlimited with the furry counter earth was way better than this shit.