Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to claim that Capcom has no responsibility for how that game looks because, no matter what instruction they were under, they definitely do.

But I do think there is room for Marvel to mandate things like "don't let it look like a comic-book" that exacerbated the problem.

The game looks cheap. (visually it's unambitious and not impressive). And the roster is lackluster (Marvel's fault directly).

However, as to the game feeling cheap. Marvel licensing probably costs an arm and a leg. Not to mention they probably want revenue share on each copy sold additionally.

Capcom had to curb the game's production costs likely due to this.

Doesn't sound like an ideal relationship to make a great game then. I wonder how many things Marvel has in place that Insomniac can't do with Spider-Man, I know of the, he's not able to kill at all in the game part, but I wonder if there's anything else.

OP
OP

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is crazy. Do you all really think a Capcom Vs Capcom game would be good? The Marvel decisions were bad, but you can't just assume everything shitty in MvC was Marvel's fault, Capcom was still the developer and part of the decision making (I'm pretty sure people already said it was Capcom's idea to pander to western audiences with the MCU looks).

Honestly, their FG division is a joke and it blows my mind that after SFxT, SFV and MVCI all being disasters there are people still believing Capcom had no fault in this.
Because SFV is a great product now and people like the gameplay elements of MVCI? Between Arcade Edition, Monster Hunter World and Resident Evil 7 it's obvious Capcom actually gives a fuck when they have the proper funding/time.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is crazy. Do you all really think a Capcom Vs Capcom game would be good? The Marvel decisions were bad, but you can't just assume everything shitty in MvC was Marvel's fault, Capcom was still the developer and part of the decision making (I'm pretty sure people already said it was Capcom's idea to pander to western audiences with the MCU looks).

Honestly, their FG division is a joke and it blows my mind that after SFxT, SFV and MVCI all being disasters there are people still believing Capcom had no fault in this.
No one said that and how stuff like GOTG Telltale points to the opposite bud. Also SFV is far from a disaster and the one aspect that Capcom has most control over (the gameplay) is generally praised for MvCI. So chill with that hot take

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Make Capcom VS. Pull the new Capcom side models out, leave the MvC3 era stuff out, start from there.

The hype of having Marvel characters isn't really worth it when most of the ones we want are locked out by Marvel themselves. At this point I just want a good, active VS. game, because DBFZ isn't really scratching that itch and MvCI doesn't look like it's going to get any updates.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Am i missing something? Was this something that people noticed even? I dont think there was any harm done...
It's not this specific example that matters. It's the fact that it's (additional) proof on how restrictive Marvel was being. If you can't let your characters appear to get comboed in a FIGHTING GAME, what other insane rules did you have? Would you be willing to deny the game a showing at Evo because you didn't want your characters to be seen getting beaten?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The stuff that hampered the game pre-release was mostly Capcom.

Unless Marvel told Capcom to make the game ugly as hell.
Honestly, the art style in MvCI reeks of Marvel's mobile game aesthetic and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they mandated Capcom follow it for brand consistency.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, didn't know there are such assholes at Marvel Games. I hope their shitty attitude doesn't hamper anything Insomniac wants to do in Spider-Man.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Literally the dumbest thing a company could do, it's not like people take tabs on that kind of thing. I really wish we could get a deeper look into the development of this game to see exactly where things went wrong.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017

Most likely did. Most of the bad character models were "enhanced" versions of the UMvC3 ones that looked fine. No reason to make the game uglier if you don't have to. There were rumors that Marvel mandated a "hyper realistic" look (which is why metal looks fine in the game). The character models from UMvC3 probably didn't translate well to that type of look.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
yeah Marvel's gaming division is full of assholes

Whatever changed between MVC3 and this i have no idea

A billion dollar movie franchise happened right after MVC3 came out. Marvel movies did well up until then but didn't start skyrocketing until the first Avengers movie.

LOL

We need someone like a Kevin Feige, in their gaming division, to bring in both good PR and a healthy relationship with the developer/the consumer base. I wouldn't worry about Spider-Man, as SONY (and eventually Insomniac) obviously will have way more creative control than Capcom as it's a first party offering, but that Avengers project by Square, might skip deadlines due to this.

Honestly I don't think we have too much to worry about with the Square relationship. Square Enix is a much bigger company than Capcom and they already have the Kingdom Hearts partnership with Disney

iirc I think they had like a tight deadline for this game.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
As far as the artstyle is concerned pretty sure Marvel wanted the realistic artstyle and Capcom didn't have the budget to make all new models/assets so they just retooled their previous work from UMVC3 which is why we got such a confused game from a visual standpoint.

Oct 25, 2017
That's stupid. I'm guessing Capcom characters specifically beating up Marvel characters is something they didn't want. When ever Marvel makes a trailer for Contest of Champions they gotta show a Marvel character getting beat up anyways . On that note I wonder if that's why we'll never get Gene in these games

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
While it doesn't excuse how bad the ideas were executed. This is why I didn't believe EA was the only reason Battlefront ended up the way it did. I do think they were limited on cosmetics and what they could do with certain characters. Especially with what Jason Schreier/Kotaku wrote about concerning 1313 and Visceral's game. Not to mention all the stuff they are ok with when it comes to mobile.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom better stop bothering with this Marvel shit. They can just as easily make a Capcom vs game including Jedah, X, Vergil, Spencer, Wesker, CapCom, Haggar and the list goes on. They weren't less fun than Marvel chars whatsoever.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Didn't Marvel also say no to X-Men characters?
That was when I knew the game was going to be in trouble. The whole Marvel characters rights thing is a complete mess. I've never even read comic books but I know just from cartoons as a kid that Magneto is Scarlet Witch's father which of course means... they're in completely unrelated, disconnect movies. Great stuff.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I would totally believe that one. It's true of all the Contest of Champions videos, where the hero being spotlighted is never getting attacked.

Some examples:

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
What really burned by biscuit about Infinite for me, is the mandate for including characters from the Marvel movies to get top billing. It didn't help matters that B. Widow & Winter Soldier's movesets were boring & didn't keep in theme to what the MvsC series is all about (characters from both ends going balls to the walls in dazzling array of flashy movesets & rediculous combos.

I wanted to have the likes of Nico Minoru & Kamala Khan to play as, not snoresville Winter Soldier who aped Spencer & Deadpool's movesets in a watered down fashion.

Nictron

Nov 27, 2017
Murrieta, CA
uup7i9pby35wdmr1poqh.png

The lack of symmetry here drives me crazy

Just looking at it makes me nauseous

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
What a sad clusterfuck MvCI's whole situation was. They should just continue the Vs. games, but with different companies (or just make a Capcom fighter), but we all know the lesson Capcom's going to take from this is that no one wants Vs games anymore period

Honestly, the art style in MvCI reeks of Marvel's mobile game aesthetic and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they mandated Capcom follow it for brand consistency.
The art style/direction of the game was definitely all Capcom. IIRC, the dev team originally had an aesthetic more in line with MvC3 for the game, but they changed it to what it is after focus testing feedback from Capcom USA.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What the hell happaned with Marvel? How did we go from the spectacular MvC3 and UMvC3 to this shit? What caused this change?

Disney is now a bigger corporation than ever before, and their movie studios lead by marvel studios are a big part of that...their comics and gaming divisions are now almost nothing to them outside of the things that generate sustained hype for the IPs

That means everything done is in service to how they want it in a specific way and nothing can change that. I am suprised we havent heard anything about KH having issues yet regarding Disney, but i dont know if the marvel gaming arm and the disney gaming arm is different