• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
MOD EDIT: Changed the title to be more accurate.

https://www.thewrap.com/marvel-kevin-feige-eternals/

Marvel Studios is developing a movie based on the "Eternals" comic book series about an evolutionary offshoot of humanity, president Kevin Feige told TheWrap.

"'Eternals' is one of many many many things that we are actively beginning to have creative discussions about to see if we believe in them enough to put them on a slate," Feige said Sunday while promoting this week's "Avengers: Infinity War."

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hey DC! Where's your New Gods? C'mon, step up!

Man, MARVEL could make a war drama starring Howard The Duck and it would sell gangbusters at this stage.

EDIT:

Oh it's a nothing-burger

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Boss Kevin Feige Confirms that someone once said the word eternals in the parking lot of the Marvel Offices

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't mean in development, it just means "we're thinking about it", but they might be thinking of a million different ideas.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't really confirm its in development, just that they're starting to have discussions about whether it would work.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For those who don't know, what are the Eternals? Celestials like Ego?

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are planning a route of only a few heroes getting solo movies and the rest getting crossover/minor event films. Otherwise not sure how they can do a traditional Spiderman 2/3, Doctor Strange 2/3, Black Panther 2/3, Ant-Man 3, Captain Marvel 1/2/3, and so on and still have room for new characters.

Could probably combine some of these into something. Don't mess with something as successful as Black Panther, probably, but it wouldn't surprise me if Eternals is also Captain Marvel 2 and also the introduction to Nova or another character or something.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So Manabyte was right in his scoop a couple of weeks ago

Oct 25, 2017
For those who don't know, what are the Eternals? Celestials like Ego?

The eternals were made by the celestials (giant robot looking dudes who basically seeded the universe to create life). They made a group of super powered human- looking creatures and a race of more twisted beings called the deviants and basically turned them loose against each other just to see what happened. The celestials did the same thing with the kree and the skrulls if you want a parallel. They're basically in a never ending war with each other.

They're sort of like mini-gods because they live a really long time and are near indestructible. Kind of a more powerful inhumans.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Eternals are like the inhumans but created by Celestials instead of Kree.

Thanos is the most famous. There is also his brother Starfox who is totally rapey but is considered a good guy.

Oct 25, 2017
Eternals are like the inhumans but created by Celestials instead of Kree.

Thanos is the most famous. There is also his brother Starfox who is totally rapey but is considered a good guy.

Yeah, they mirrored their creators by doing it, but I'm pretty sure they made the inhumans in an experiment to try to kickstart their own evolutionary process which had stalled out.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Are the Grandmaster and The Collector eternals? If so they can do a Wes Anderson-inspired kooky family movie.

Oct 28, 2017
this an easy way to introduce mutants into the MCU. Unless you wanted to just say humans evolved biological superpowers on their own.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Eternal are like 10x more obscure than the Inhumans which tells me that Feige would have made an Inhumans movie if Perlmutter wasn't trying to rush the hell out of the property by introducing the concept and characters on TV.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The moment the Fox deal is finalized talk of an Eternals movie is going to get shelved/demoted faster than you can say Inhumans

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they will do the eternals as a stepping stone to putting Jonathan Hickmans run on film and heavily imply like he does that the entire ma MARVEL Multiverse is a simulation run by the Beyonders.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
The eternals were made by the celestials (giant robot looking dudes who basically seeded the universe to create life). They made a group of super powered human- looking creatures and a race of more twisted beings called the deviants and basically turned them loose against each other just to see what happened. The celestials did the same thing with the kree and the skrulls if you want a parallel. They're basically in a never ending war with each other.

They're sort of like mini-gods because they live a really long time and are near indestructible. Kind of a more powerful inhumans.

While the typical Skrulls are the Deviant branch of their own species, their conflict with the Kree doesn't really have much to do with the Celestial mythology; it was caused by the Skrulls holding a contest between the Kree and another race to see who'd they become business partners with, and when the Kree lost, they got pissed, killed a bunch of Skrulls, and stole their tech.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Well, yeah. But this seems like it would be a bit later in Phase 4 anyway.

Marvel Studios' X-Men will absolutely cut in line. As it should.
Yeah here's how I see it. With the Fox deal, stuff like F4 and X-Men will take some priority. Eternals could be something coming out of the GotG side of the characters. But then again, the Ravagers also got some buzz about becoming its own spin off eventually back when Vol. 2 was released.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. We're they sitting around and saying what could we do that would be even less enthusiastic and more obscure to audiences than Inhumans?

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I seem to recall virtually everyone saying the exact same thing about GotG in 2014 and then acting real quiet when it was a huge hit.

Obscure, maybe, but everyone was enthusiastic and wanted GoTG to do good knowing the property. This is more of the Inhumans vibe of meh. They don't bring anything to the MCU that Inhumans didn't offer and are even less recognizable. Great Lakes Avengers would probably do better.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"No one cares about Eternals"

Yet folks are quoting Thanos, an Eternal

Oct 25, 2017
Obscure, maybe, but everyone was enthusiastic and wanted GoTG to do good knowing the property. This is more of the Inhumans vibe of meh. They don't bring anything to the MCU that Inhumans didn't offer and are even less recognizable. Great Lakes Avengers would probably do better.

Ten years deep, on the verge of an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation, and these are thoughts that still run through your mind.

I dunno what to say.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ten years deep, on the verge of an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation, and these are thoughts that still run through your mind.

I dunno what to say.

So you think Eternals as a movie would take off and be fine because?? I had hesitations about GoTG doing good back in the day but I always said I hoped it would end up surprising everyone and doing well because of the actual long history of the comics and the sheer awesomeness of the characters and storylines they had. The only property I ever outright said "nah, not gonna work" was Inhumans, guess what? You do you but it's a real dangerous mentality to take of "its MCU so everything can succeed because reasons". Characters and story and how they would translate to screen are things that matter. And Marvel needs to start carefully considering their next moves with the Infinity Stones arc coming to a close if they can't keep people's interest. I will be pissed if things go bad before they can get FF properties in MCU and don't do Annihilation.

Oct 25, 2017
So you think Eternals as a movie would take off and be fine because?? I had hesitations about GoTG doing good back in the day but I always said I hoped it would end up surprising everyone and doing well because of the actual long history of the comics and the sheer awesomeness of the characters and storylines they had. The only property I ever outright said "nah, not gonna work" was Inhumans, guess what? You do you but it's a real dangerous mentality to take of "its MCU so everything can succeed because reasons". Characters and story and how they would translate to screen are things that matter. And Marvel needs to start carefully considering their next moves with the Infinity Stones arc coming to a close if they can't keep people's interest. I will be pissed if things go bad before they can get FF properties in MCU and don't do Annihilation.

"Real dangerous mentality," like he's working with yellow cake uranium.

I hate talking to people on the internet about superheroes sometimes.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I knew Umberto was working on it for about a week. Guess he waited until he talked to Feige to run it. He told me last week he was working on confirming stuff about it.

The quote reads like a throw away comment from Feige though, states that the Eternals are "one of many many many things" they are discussing.

Yet you close your article claiming that Feige has confirmed they are heading for the MCU. A little disingenuous maybe?