Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So how long after announcement are things normally available for preorder from retailers?

it's been weeks since Kang and still no option

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Antman and Wasp are folding cards, Team-ups work with Ally versions too. Everything up to Rise of the Red Skull was intentionally more straightforward to get everyone into the game and things will get more complex. QS and SW have the same civilian ability(discard 2 draw 2, turns to draw 3 if other sibling is in play), SW is a deck Miller, Quicksilver is a ready, hit and runner
image0.png

Deleted member 9197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm
Antman and Wasp are folding cards, Team-ups work with Ally versions too. Everything up to Rise of the Red Skull was intentionally more straightforward to get everyone into the game and things will get more complex. QS and SW have the same civilian ability(discard 2 draw 2, turns to draw 3 if other sibling is in play), SW is a deck Miller, Quicksilver is a ready, hit and runner
image0.png
all about all of these. Some people on reddit have been griping, especially about the giant folding cards, but I'm all about it and think it's a great idea.
Apparently if they're anything like the transformers foldables they'll be super durable.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Can anyone share what Hero+Aspect combinations might be best for solo play? I don't honestly play enough to know, and I've read enough to think that Thor is maybe not suited for one-handed solo. I've had a lot of success with Spidey and Captain Marvel, but since I will likely mostly be playing this game solo going forward, I'd like to invest in the heroes that are better suited for that style of play.

Deleted member 9197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone share what Hero+Aspect combinations might be best for solo play? I don't honestly play enough to know, and I've read enough to think that Thor is maybe not suited for one-handed solo. I've had a lot of success with Spidey and Captain Marvel, but since I will likely mostly be playing this game solo going forward, I'd like to invest in the heroes that are better suited for that style of play.

I think it really depends on whether you're playing true solo or two handed. I only play this game solo, but I always play two characters at the same time. Honestly, just play around with different options. I know that sounds dismissive, but it's really what makes the game fun, seeing the difference between, say, a protection Iron Man and an Aggression Iron Man.

My only real advice would be to start with characters like Captain Marvel or She-Hulk if you're doing true solo, and avoid ones who take a while to get going like Iron Man or Black Panther, at least in the early plays, because it's easy to see the game get away with you while you're building up equipment.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Literally setting up for our third game. This time She Hulk and Ms Marvel team up to take down Claw.

While setting up I thought about how odd Villain choices are.

Rhino: historically a Spider-Man villian. And not really a character you think of when team ups are involved.

Ultron: Here because of the movie obviously. Though a worthy main villain as it is rare for him to be defeated individually.

Klaw: Here because of Black Panther. Sort of baffling choice as he is a guy who really is only treated as a threat when it's the Masters of Evil or Frightful Four.

Green Goblin: another Spider-Man villain. At least this one has been a greater threat before thanks to Dark Reign.

The Wrecking Crew: I mean I love the Wrecking Crew but COME ON!

Where is Kang or Doom or the Kingpin or the Red Skull?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Literally setting up for our third game. This time She Hulk and Ms Marvel team up to take down Claw.

While setting up I thought about how odd Villain choices are.

Rhino: historically a Spider-Man villian. And not really a character you think of when team ups are involved.

Ultron: Here because of the movie obviously. Though a worthy main villain as it is rare for him to be defeated individually.

Klaw: Here because of Black Panther. Sort of baffling choice as he is a guy who really is only treated as a threat when it's the Masters of Evil or Frightful Four.

Green Goblin: another Spider-Man villain. At least this one has been a greater threat before thanks to Dark Reign.

The Wrecking Crew: I mean I love the Wrecking Crew but COME ON!

Where is Kang or Doom or the Kingpin or the Red Skull?
Next months box is Red Skull and hydra(Crossbones, Absorbing Man, Taskmaster, and Armin Zola) with playable Hawkeye and Spiderwoman. Following month we get Kang(and Antman as a separate pack). Next villains is a cosmic box in February(with Rocket and Groot heroes). Doom is totally being saved for a F4 box(heck Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Annihulus, and Frightful Four would be an epic box)

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
It's Captain America Leadership. He's the best solo character. Requires no buildup, just goes straight into handling every threat or enemy you can throw at him. If I can't beat a scenario at a certain difficulty, I just throw Cap at it and watch him steamroll it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Also should point out that the devs have made it obvious that a lot of the big names were kept out of the first wave so they could be more dynamic and complicated. Everything up to Red Skull is intentionally more straightforward to get people in combined with some mcu focus for free marketing. But they'll start throwing in more comic stuff after that(I expect things to get more interesting post feb's Guardian box).
For example Kang has 3/4 phases and splits up the heroes.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Next months box is Red Skull and hydra(Crossbones, Absorbing Man, Taskmaster, and Armin Zola) with playable Hawkeye and Spiderwoman. Following month we get Kang(and Antman as a separate pack). Next villains is a cosmic box in February(with Rocket and Groot heroes). Doom is totally being saved for a F4 box(heck Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Annihulus, and Frightful Four would be an epic box)

Okay that just shows I'm behind. I thought Crossbones and Absorbing Man were different sets?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Okay that just shows I'm behind. I thought Crossbones and Absorbing Man were different sets?
Different scenarios, one box. It's the first campaign box and Hydra is raiding project P.E.G.A.S.U.S.
mc10en_a1_cardfan.png

some fun mechanics too
mc10en_crossbones.png
mc10en_absorbing-man.png

You can do the standard single fights or do a continuing story with health carryover and reward cards. 5 villains and 2 heroes.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Different scenarios, one box. It's the first campaign box and Hydra is raiding project P.E.G.A.S.U.S.
mc10en_a1_cardfan.png

some fun mechanics too
mc10en_crossbones.png
mc10en_absorbing-man.png

You can do the standard single fights or do a continuing story with health carryover and reward cards. 5 villains and 2 heroes.
Okay that is awesome and everything I wanted from this game.

Our table now

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So we held off playing last night for various reasons but just finished playing today.

Sad to report that Klaw got the better of us. It's all those damn hired goons he has. First keeping us from thwarting the main scheme and then his Armed Guards keeping us from attacking him.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
It's Captain America Leadership. He's the best solo character. Requires no buildup, just goes straight into handling every threat or enemy you can throw at him. If I can't beat a scenario at a certain difficulty, I just throw Cap at it and watch him steamroll it.

Wow you weren't kidding about Cap. Played 2 games with him last night solo and just steamrolled both Rhino and Klaw.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Starting or 4th game of Champions. Black Panther and Thor v The Wrecking Crew.

Oh and I bought the Thor and Wrecking Crew Expansions today.

Deleted member 9197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Taking a bit of a break to catch up on (and better learn) Arkham Horror, but I can't wait for Red Skull to come in here before too long. That also nets me Hulk, Ms Marvel, and Wrecking Crew, which I had bundled to get free shipping back when I first preordered.

I'm thinking that I'm going to need to create a binder for all of my hero and aspect cards (or at least the aspect cards), because I can see storage getting out of hand before too long. As it stands I think I have enough room in the core set to hold everything I listed above, but once Ant-Man/Wasp/Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver come out, it'll be hella cramped.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Taking a bit of a break to catch up on (and better learn) Arkham Horror, but I can't wait for Red Skull to come in here before too long. That also nets me Hulk, Ms Marvel, and Wrecking Crew, which I had bundled to get free shipping back when I first preordered.

I'm thinking that I'm going to need to create a binder for all of my hero and aspect cards (or at least the aspect cards), because I can see storage getting out of hand before too long. As it stands I think I have enough room in the core set to hold everything I listed above, but once Ant-Man/Wasp/Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver come out, it'll be hella cramped.
I use one of these myself, need to find my other set of dividers before ROTS comes
image0.jpg

Long term it'll probably be Heroes/Aspects/Villains/side schemes
my preorder through FfG is processing so I'm excited. For now tho I'm skipping the rest of the first wave outside of Kamala and GG which I already have since all four heroes in wave 2 excite me more so I'd honestly get them over most of the currently releases one

plus for all us true believers Kang is a must have

OP
OP
Malverde

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Anyone else just not messing with deck building at all? We play a lot of Arkham Horror LCG and to be honest none of us has the will or desire to mess with deck building in this game, and the standard decks are pretty solid for the most part (Ms. Marvel is kinda terrible which bums me out). I don't feel like the gameplay lasts long enough to warrant hours on deck building like I do with Arkham.

Also for storage I use a Big Geeky Box made for Smash Up. I had it just lying around empty after I bought the Bigger Geekier Box.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't because I just don't have the time, but

Marvel Champions Deckbuilder · MarvelCDB

Build your deck for Marvel Champions by Fantasy Flight Games. Browse the cards and the thousand of decklists submitted by the community. Publish your own decks and get feedback.

helped tremendously as it allows you to adjust which card sets appear when deck building. So deck building becomes a lot more easy with that site.

OP
OP
Malverde

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I think time is the biggest issue. I build a hero deck and then it is good, but did I pull cards from other characters? Now I gotta rebuild those decks before I can play them. And it is all for single fights. Compare it to Arkham where you take the time to carefully build a deck but you can expect to take that deck through a campaign of at least 8 scenarios, more if you plug in side missions. The prep time versus play time math just doesn't add up to make it feel worth while to me in Champions.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Anyone else just not messing with deck building at all? We play a lot of Arkham Horror LCG and to be honest none of us has the will or desire to mess with deck building in this game, and the standard decks are pretty solid for the most part (Ms. Marvel is kinda terrible which bums me out). I don't feel like the gameplay lasts long enough to warrant hours on deck building like I do with Arkham.

Also for storage I use a Big Geeky Box made for Smash Up. I had it just lying around empty after I bought the Bigger Geekier Box.

I haven't done any deck building yet. I will eventually once, but I'm still having fun and learning the ropes with the decks provided. I haven't followed what Red Skull is gonna be, but if it's a kind of campaign where we need to keep the same decks from game to game then I might start looking into it.

As for storage, I've got everything released so far, sleeved, and it all fits in the core box. I think that's about it though, once more set and I'll have to start storing the tokens and tiny cards and health dials elsewhere. I'll probably just end up keeping that stuff in the Red Skull box. Eventually I'll move it all to a cardboard box like what Mandos posted.

Deleted member 9197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm new to all of this stuff myself and will probably never be excellent at deckbuilding. But I do find deck building here to be less of a burden than in Arkham. Having 15 of your cards decided for you out of the gate and then having a handful of standard inclusions, like your double resource neutral cards for instance, narrows it down to where you really only need to pick 20 or so cards to round out a deck. The way you're locked into a single aspect helps as well. So what I find is that I can put together a fairly functional deck for two heroes to two-hand solo a game in less than an hour at this point. Are they perfect? No. But for what I want to get out of them, I'm pretty happy.

So for me, Marvel Champs acts as a kind of deck building tutorial with training wheels, which I like. On that note, I just spent about 2 hours building a Zoe/Rex deck for my first Dunwich play through, and I have no idea how that's going to go for me haha.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I haven't done any deck building yet. I will eventually once, but I'm still having fun and learning the ropes with the decks provided. I haven't followed what Red Skull is gonna be, but if it's a kind of campaign where we need to keep the same decks from game to game then I might start looking into it.

As for storage, I've got everything released so far, sleeved, and it all fits in the core box. I think that's about it though, once more set and I'll have to start storing the tokens and tiny cards and health dials elsewhere. I'll probably just end up keeping that stuff in the Red Skull box. Eventually I'll move it all to a cardboard box like what Mandos posted.
It has a campaign complete with comic book story breaks that connects all 5 scenarios together with extra reward loss cards. But this ones pretty straightforward whereas future ones they want to get more creative like cosmic breakout has a market you can buy cards from between rounds and a Milano support that carries between scenarios

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
In a 2-player game (which I haven't done yet) can a hero attack a minion that is engaged with a different hero? I know the minion will only attack the hero it's engaged with, but I'm not sure about the reverse situation. I assume the answer is yes, but I don't know for sure.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
In a 2-player game (which I haven't done yet) can a hero attack a minion that is engaged with a different hero? I know the minion will only attack the hero it's engaged with, but I'm not sure about the reverse situation. I assume the answer is yes, but I don't know for sure.
Yes, you are correct. Any hero can attack any minion if not are in play a card that prevents that.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Waiting on my Local Game store to get it in. I have a subscription with them for Champions.

OP
OP
Malverde

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Got Red Skull this weekend. Finally decided to sleeve up everything I had. Had Hulk, Black Widow, and Doctor Strange unopened. My brother and I started the campaign with him using Doctor Strange and me running Black Widow. I absolutely love Black Widow, might be my favorite character in the game so far. Having an army of prep cards ready to go and just saying "nope" when really bad stuff happens is great. Doctor Strange is also insane with his spells, being able to do a little bit of everything but feeling strong unlike Kamala who is also a jack of all trades that feels too inconsistent. We were able to pretty easily stomp Crossbones, he didn't get to advance the scheme once despite only needing 6 threat to advance.

I'm sure there are pics floating around out there, but I was wondering about the box insert. Is there one? Does the Red Skull box make a good overflow box?

Yeah, but it is just a piece of cardboard dividing the box in half. If your card are sleeved and they fit in the core box they will also fit in the spaces provided in the Red Skull box.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm sure there are pics floating around out there, but I was wondering about the box insert. Is there one? Does the Red Skull box make a good overflow box? Or is it time to move everything to a dedicated card box?
nothing fancy and the box is pretty small but that's not an inherently bad thing
image0.jpg

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I'm waiting to receive it at any moment between this and the next week. Really excited!

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
My copy of Red Skull should be in today or tomorrow (Effing Labor Day delays.) my mains so far have been Hulk and Cap. Am really looking forward to Kong's villain set with the time travel mechanic.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
This game is so good, but I wish there was a digital copy. :( It's been really hard to bust out the card/board games with COVID.

tm24

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a checklist of things released? Just got the base set this weekend and it was a hit

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Is there a checklist of things released? Just got the base set this weekend and it was a hit
Base;
Heroes:
Ms Marvel
Captain America
Thor
Black Widow
Dr Strange
Hulk
Villains:
Green Goblin
Wrecking crew
Campaign box(just released):
Rise of the Red Skull

Then Kang and Antman are out next

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Had my first 2-player game yesterday. Captain American and Captain Marvel vs. Standard Rhino. We got Rhino into his 2nd form in no time at all with great threat management, but we got hit hard in his 2nd form. Lots of side schemes, negative status effects, lots of minions out on the board. There were a couple times when Rhino had 12/14 threat, and there were times when Captain Marvel was down to 2HP. In the end, Tigra landed the final blow after a massive attack from Captain Marvel. It was a great back and forth and a nice victory.

My friend really enjoyed the game as well. He's a life-long gamer and is very particular about his games and generally dislikes LCGs (and FFG in general), but he loved it. We're gonna have another go soon, and then team up for Red Skull whenever my copy comes in.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
It was a great back and forth and a nice victory.
Congrats for your victory!

My friend really enjoyed the game as well. He's a life-long gamer and is very particular about his games and generally dislikes LCGs (and FFG in general), but he loved it. We're gonna have another go soon, and then team up for Red Skull whenever my copy comes in.
I never liked the LCGs too (I tried some over the years) and this is my first Co-op one, and I love it!

This weekend my brother joined me to play the Red Skull's campaign, and we defeat Crossbones without problems (we got a lucky with the encounters draws), but we had lose against Absorbing Man two times. We're playing in standard with the preconstructed decks of Hawkeye and Spider-Woman. Really fun fights there.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, does anyone know how to shuffle cards properly? Because either a god has cursed me or I am so specific in how I shuffle that for the last 3 solo games, I have gotten the exact same hands in a row. As in, the hand I get and the card order is the same and the enemy card order is the same, down to the number written down. Unless I go out of my way to shuffle cards in a way where I can see the exact same cards so I know the order (which is cheating) I will always get the exact same cards right next to each other. I think I'm going fucking crazy, how in the world am I shuffling so I get the exact same setup each and every time!?!

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Ok, does anyone know how to shuffle cards properly? Because either a god has cursed me or I am so specific in how I shuffle that for the last 3 solo games, I have gotten the exact same hands in a row. As in, the hand I get and the card order is the same and the enemy card order is the same, down to the number written down. Unless I go out of my way to shuffle cards in a way where I can see the exact same cards so I know the order (which is cheating) I will always get the exact same cards right next to each other. I think I'm going fucking crazy, how in the world am I shuffling so I get the exact same setup each and every time!?!

Maybe not the fastest method, but I make like 8 or 9 facedown piles and just pile more cards on randomly, then gather the piles randomly. Then I cut the deck a few times and that's usually good. The sleeves I use are soft and aren't great for any type of traditional shuffling.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Before starting the game, with the player deck I make 6 or 7 piles of facedown cards and then side shuffle three or four times, then I make piles and side shuffle again.
For encounter deck, I only side shuffle a bunch of times.
During the playthough, I only side shuffle the decks 3 or 4 times.

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So does this game seem to take wayyyy to long with 4 players? We've been playing it with 4 and they seem to take forever and just get more difficult in some ways

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
So does this game seem to take wayyyy to long with 4 players? We've been playing it with 4 and they seem to take forever and just get more difficult in some ways

Haven't played 4 player, but yes, that seems to be the consensus over on Board Game Geek. 1-2 is the sweet spot for the game. If you've got 4 pros who know their decks inside and out and don't need to consult the rules reference three times a round then I imagine that also helps quite a bit. I'm not at that point yet.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very happy with how well this plays solo, and that playing one hero is totally viable. I still prefer to two hand it, but either way is fun. Got Rise of the Red Skull on the way, can't wait to dive into the campaign.