Oct 27, 2017
https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...-studios-anzac-day-calls-to-cancel-screenings

The most highly anticipated superhero movie of all time - Avengers: Infinity War - is set to premiere in Australia on Anzac Day.

But Marvel Studios' blockbuster release is being criticised for capitalising on the public holiday and diminishing Anzac Day.

Films are traditionally released on a Thursday in Australia.

I didn't want to post this in the OT as there might be spoilers but thought this was interesting. I somewhat agree that cinemas shouldn't operate until 1PM like retailers to remember ANZAC day.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I'm kinda split on it.
This will be the last Anzac day that occurs within a century of WW1, after all.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Anzac Day (/ˈænzæk/) is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served". Observed on 25 April each year, Anzac Day was originally devised to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli against the Ottoman Empire during World War I. Anzac Day is also observed in the Cook Islands, Niue, Pitcairn Islands, and Tonga, and previously was a national holiday in Papua New Guinea and Samoa.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
It's kinda weird because movies almost always open on Thursdays here, like 99.99% of the time.

They're opening on a Wednesday and it's Anzac day. I'll still go though.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I think they moved it up specifically because it's a holiday.

Yeah that's the part I find a bit weird, if Anzac Day was on a Thursday it'd just be fortuitous timing, this is definitely trying to leverage the day.

But as I said I'll still go, I don't hold the day in a regard so special that you can't go watch a movie on it, and I'm sure many are glad it got moved up / is opening on a day that's convenient to go see it due to not working or whatever.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I noticed that my local cinema (in NZ) stopped doing midnight screenings for Marvel movies. These screenings used to to take place over the night from Wednesday to Thursday. Instead they now release those movies on Wednesdays, so this didn't seem unusual. Black Panther also came out on a Wednesday.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
They're not allowed to open for trade until 1pm
So, after 1 PM it's a normal day? Seems weird to ask Marvel to move the release date to another day just because you feel like the movie is so popular that people would rather do that then, I dunno, sit around their home and remember soldiers.

In the US we have the exact same thing next month and the idea that I movie would be delayed because of Memorial Day seems preposterous to me.
I noticed that my local cinema (in NZ) stopped doing midnight screenings for Marvel movies. These screenings used to to take place over the night from Wednesday to Thursday. Instead they now release those movies on Wednesdays, so this didn't seem unusual. Black Panther also came out on a Wednesday.
Same thing happened to America.

Midnight screenings would technically be at 12 am Friday, so it was almost like it was Thursday, but they stopped doing that and it's now at 7 PM Thursday.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Wait it's just a couple hours in the day and they wanna push the movie back a full day? Seems odd

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Anzac Day in Australia isn't just "Memorial Day" though. Its like Memorial Day X Independence Day. Its a big deal. More entertainment events have become scheduled on the day in recent years, however they are mostly sporting events and usually respectful.

Also deliberately moving up a Superhero "War" movie that glorifies War to coopt a day that's about remembering the actualities of real war is incredibly tone deaf.

Oct 28, 2017
It sucks that the government is dictating when business can be conducted or how you should observe federal holidays.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing happened to America.

Midnight screenings would technically be at 12 am Friday, so it was almost like it was Thursday, but they stopped doing that and it's now at 7 PM Thursday.
I feel like that started shortly after The Dark Knight Rises, but I'm not sure if it was an actual response to the Aurora midnight shooting or the timing was just a coincidence. Or more likely, I'm remembering wrong.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Anzac Day in Australia isn't just "Memorial Day" though. Its like Memorial Day X Independence Day. Its a big deal. More entertainment events have become scheduled on the day in recent years, however they are mostly sporting events and usually respectful.

Also deliberately moving up a Superhero "War" movie that glorifies War to coopt a day that's about remembering the actualities of real war is incredibly tone deaf.
How does Infinity War glorify war?

Also, it didn't get moved to co opt that Holiday, unless you think Marvel specifically picked that date, for the entire world, just because of that holiday.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anzac day commemorates all those lost in all wars?

Commemorating an Infinity amount of Wars?

ok that was bad Ill go now

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Wow. Kinda tone deaf of Marvel/Disney there.

This isn't the first time they've done this as a kiwi i dont see the problem. I wake up 4am and go to the dawn service and still pay my respects I will see infinity war at mid day. Does that make it any less disrespectful? I don't spend the whole day thinking about my grandad I doubt he would want that ether thats just depressing hed want me to enjoy myself. And live life.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The title isn't self explanatory?
It's a movie where something akin to a war between the Avengers and Thanos happens, yes, but how is that glorifying it? It's not about something fun happening to the world, it's a horrible event for the MCU. If your issue is just that there's a movie with war in the title, then say that, but saying it's glorifying war is a completely different critique.

Oct 28, 2017
The title isn't self explanatory?

d1b18a5a-eba4-44d7-8fp2q42.gif

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
It seems to me that if you don't want to see it on Anzac Day you can just go see it the next day. No one's forcing anyone to skip celebrating Anzac Day.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't believe a single person my age cares, most use it as an excuse to get pissed anyway.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, many places here seem to be starting it Tuesday, secondly releasing a fantasy movie is much less disrespectful to the anzac spirit than the jingoistic self fellation you see in our schools. The school my boy goes is completely tone deaf in this regard.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Lol so Memorial Day weekend of Australia

Equivalent holidays are more somberly observed in the British Commonwealth, i've found. I had a Canadian colleague in 2010 who treated 11/11 with great reverence compared to American observations of Veterans' Day, which I've found is really only a heavy day among veterans themselves. Here it's just another government holiday despite our tendencies for flag-waving jingoism. There it's more hallowed.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
It's a movie where something akin to a war between the Avengers and Thanos happens, yes, but how is that glorifying it? It's not about something fun happening to the world, it's a horrible event for the MCU. If your issue is just that there's a movie with war in the title, then say that, but saying it's glorifying war is a completely different critique.

So airing a film who's primary selling point is watch people in costumes punch/fight a giant purple alien isn't encouraging the glorification of war?
honestly i'm excited to see the film, but it waiting 18 hours or less won't stop it from breaking any box office records. Its tone deaf greed.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To each their own, but this isn't something to call out Marvel for as some heinous business practice.

There is literally a big budget summer blockbuster called Independence Day. It didn't come out on Christmas weekend.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest most people don't even think about Australia so this wasn't some deliberate action.

What's the other option-open it worldwide on the same day in every country except Australia and then piss off the fans that want to see it?

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anzac Day needs to be diminished. It's become much more a celebration of military, jingoism and the normalisation of war than a day of remembrance and mourning (and this is very deliberate). There's even a term for it: Anzackery. I'd prefer the more anti-authoritarian Aussie spirit of seeing what happened to these people as a tragedy to be avoided, another exploitation of the working class, the bullshit that it is. Don't use their deaths for glory and empire. These are poor bastards you could have had a drink and a laugh with, but instead they died or suffered through horrors, and in only one case were they actually defending our nation. So let's go see a movie and remember all the poor fuckers who were sacrificed. It's better than marching in straight lines.

Oct 29, 2017
it's gonna be very easy to argue that this doesn't glorify war when the movie actually comes out in four days and it turns out half that battlefield is littered with dead bodies five minutes later

Pretty sure the takeaway from the scene will not be a harrowing depiction of the ills of war but sure, whatever you say lol

EDIT: Not that I'm not looking forward, but if it's that big a deal in Australia I don't see why it can't be moved.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People just arent happy unless they got a bone to pick with someone. If you don't like the movie, just dont see it.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just an FYI for the thread, it's opening on Wednesday of next week here in Taiwan as well. Could just be the international release date happens to fall on that holiday.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI for the thread, it's opening on Wednesday of next week here in Taiwan as well. Could just be the international release date happens to fall on that holiday.
Yup, it's opening on that day in a shit ton of countries.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154756/releaseinfo

Like I said earlier in the thread, so assume that they purposely picked this day because of the holiday is to assume that Marvel's entire release schedule, for every country in the world, was specifically chosen because of Australia.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anzac Day needs to be diminished. It's become much more a celebration of military, jingoism and the normalisation of war than a day of remembrance and mourning (and this is very deliberate). There's even a term for it: Anzackery. I'd prefer the more anti-authoritarian Aussie spirit of seeing what happened to these people as a tragedy to be avoided, another exploitation of the working class, the bullshit that it is. Don't use their deaths for glory and empire. These are poor bastards you could have had a drink and a laugh with, but instead they died or suffered through horrors, and in only one case were they actually defending our nation. So let's go see a movie and remember all the poor fuckers who were sacrificed. It's better than marching in straight lines.
I think there's a song for that (technically for Armistice Day but I digress).