• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think we were quite a few people in here at least who were calm and hopeful a new deal would be signed.

Still, what a relief.
Yeah, this is why I like to stay calm during situations like this.

Anyway, I wonder if Disney was able to secure the MCU Spider-Man films for Disney+ as part of the new arrangement. Going by Boondocks going to HBO Max, Sony seems willing to lend their stuff to other streaming services. Plus it's not like either film is on another streaming service (not even Netflix).

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My younger brother was really bummed about the Spider-Man stuff. It's his birthday today. What a great present this news is.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Reading Feige's quote, I think we're going to start seeing Holland Spidey in Sony's films. That was probably the only way this new deal was going to close.

If they can at least attain Venom level quality (which I consider bottom tier MCU, but not wretched garbage like a Man of Steel)... I'll allow it. They are easily ignored, especially if they're taking place in a different universe.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Feige quote strongly implies that part of the compromise was allowing Holland's Spider-Man to appear in Sony's own Spider-Man spinoffs, so be prepared for that

Honestly I wish that wasn't the case. Not because I dislike the Sony movies (tales are told of my love for Venom) but it probably makes more sense for the Sony-verse to be a little bit more of it's own thing.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Going by Deadline using "Pics" as in plural, it seems like Peter will be in multiple MCU films (unless they're also counting Spidey 3).
deadline.com

Spider-Man Back In Action As Sony Agrees To Disney Co-Fi For New Movie, Return To MCU: How Spidey’s Web Got Untangled

UPDATED with more details: Sony has agreed to the terms that Disney originally proposed for its participation in a third Spider-Man movie, whereby Disney/Marvel would co-finance 25% of a third Homecoming movie for a 25% equity stake. The deal also calls for Spider-Man appearing in one more...

Feige quote strongly implies that part of the compromise was allowing Holland's Spider-Man to appear in Sony's own Spider-Man spinoffs, so be prepared for that
As long as they can easily be ignored, whatever.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I disliked and was bored of Venom, I'm thrilled if Tom Holland can appear in Sony's movies. And even Sony characters in the MCU if Marvel Studios so wishes.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
VfJAowR.png
Not that I was truly worried but, I am genuinely happy that they got their shite together.

Reading Feige's quote, I think we're going to start seeing Holland Spidey in Sony's films. That was probably the only way this new deal was going to close.

If they can at least attain Venom level quality (which I consider bottom tier MCU, but not wretched garbage like a Man of Steel)... I'll allow it. They are easily ignored, especially if they're taking place in a different universe.
If that's what it took, so be it. I'm 100% going to watch the MCU Spidey flicks but I'm certain my curiosity will get the better of me for the Sony ones... at least until I hear it's worth seeing in theaters or not. Venom was fun at home but I wouldn't have paid theater pricing.
I wonder if Sony's will be full-fledged movies or a sub-character with Spidey providing backup like Iron-Man in Homecoming.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
This should be a learning moment for us lol, we should just calm our selves for the next time.

Im disgusted that i can't troll the antis in the original disney-sony thread, on GOD i would have blown up their alerts lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Sony going full steam ahead with their spinoffs, with Spider-Man in them, isn't ideal but it's better than losing him entirely in the MCU.

Guess we just have to deal with garbage like Morbius and Madame Web diluting the brand

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Sony itself got involved since the deal includes a Disney owned channel package on PSVue. Let's see which movies get made Sony itself.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

Feige never says it has to be Holland. They could go with another Spidey, and personally I think that would make more sense than to mashup two universes anyway.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So 2021 is ShangChi, Spidey, Thor Fhor, Hawkguy, Bucky/Cap, Strange 2

Who else am I forgetting? I think Ms. Marvel since it's filming next year.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
i'm so dumb forgot about the D+ shows announced d23, we're really gonna be stuffed for 2021, im still gonna ask for thirds lol.
Works for me, I already eat a lot.

So 2021 is ShangChi, Spidey, Thor Fhor, Hawkguy, Bucky/Cap, Strange 2

Who else am I forgetting? I think Ms. Marvel since it's filming next year.
The known Disney+ shows are Phase 4, so they'll likely all be released before the end of 2021.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Feige never says it has to be Holland. They could go with another Spidey, and personally I think that would make more sense than to mashup two universes anyway.

hey as long as there's a distinction made by Feige that they're two different universes I'm not bothered. It can be Holland and they don't have to explain shit.

However, I'd love for them to use a different actor for Peter Parker in the Sony Spider-Verse, preferably someone older, so we can have two different takes on Spider-Man in the two universes

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

This is strangely worded. Sony owns the rights to all cinematic versions of spider-man, Holland included. They have the ability to do whatever they want with him. If Sony wanted to make a Spidey Holland x Jumanji x Men in Black crossover film, there's nothing disney/marvel could do about it. A Spidey/Venom crossover film is an inevitability. Sony was always going to make that film no matter what Disney wanted.

That part isn't the compromise. I read Feige's statement as a concession that in exchange for Sony bending on revenue, Disney is simply going to have to learn to live with a bunch of Sony produced spider-adjacent films they'd rather not be there.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I don't care about Holland Spider-man appearing in Sony movies. If these movies are good then great, I'll watch them and enjoy them, but anything not made by Marvel Studios is not canon as far as I'm concerned so even if they're bad I'll simply ignore them.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I don't care about Holland Spider-man appearing in Sony movies. If these movies are good then great, I'll watch them and enjoy them, but anything not made by Marvel Studios is not canon as far as I'm concerned so even if they're bad I'll simply ignore them.
Yeah it's basically like the Netflix shows. I'm sure they'll reference MCU stuff, but the MCU itself doesn't have to acknowledge them in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.