• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Disney is not just wanting control for the movies. They want to retake the whole license. I can see why Sony is resisting.

Yeah and Disney has been making chess moves to make that their brand, not Sony's. Some people - even in the other thread - think Sony owns the IP, not just the movie rights. They have been relatively successful, they got the remaining merch rights and animated TV rights that belonged to Sony after all, and this last move is a huge one to try to go for a check mate later. Sony is seeing this too and is sacrificing a rook or the queen to try to save the king.

If both sides were to agree with the new terms as-is. essentially Sony would essentially turn into a permanent investor on any Spidey-related films. Marvel Studio would handle all creative aspects so as long as the quality keeps as it's current pace, Sony would basically make money off the property for doing nothing except handling the marketing if they desire to (based on their recent film marketing they seem to be very dated in this area). The numbers might be off but it doesn't seem like a bad deal for Sony.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If both sides were to agree with the new terms as-is. essentially Sony would essentially turn into a permanent investor on any Spidey-related films. Marvel Studio would handle all creative aspects so as long as the quality keeps as it's current pace, Sony would basically make money off the property for doing nothing except handling the marketing if they desire to (based on their recent film marketing they seem to be very dated in this area). The numbers might be off but it doesn't seem like a bad deal for Sony.
Seems like there will still a problem of how many Spider-man movies Marvel can make. Ideally, Sony would want at least 1 Spider-man movie per year or even more if possible. Marvel had their hands full with 3 movies a year and a bunch of Disney + shows.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Seems like there will still a problem of how many Spider-man movies Marvel can make. Ideally, Sony would want at least 1 Spider-man movie per year or even more if possible. Marvel had their hands full with 3 movies a year and a bunch of Disney + shows.

Are you seriously buying Sony's bullshit damage control statement that Kevin Feige didn't have enough time for Marvel's most popular character?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I trust that Fiege and Co will find time to make Spider-man films, it's only one of the most popular IP's in the world.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pretty certain that Disney and Sony will make a new deal and I think everyone is prematurely losing their shit over this. Also, the hate all being sent Sony's way when Disney is just as (if not more) at fault is embarrassing.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
It doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to see that Sony's claim is full of shit, just common sense. "Feige doesn't have time for Spider-man" is 100% bullshit, let's not pretend otherwise.
To be fair, Deadline who broke the story even contested that in their update to the article yesterday that their sources have continued to say it has nothing to do with Kevin not having the time.

EVERYONE was calling the statement bullshit last night because the claim the the didn't have time for their most popular character is not in the realm of reality.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm still pretty certain that Disney and Sony will make a new deal and I think everyone is prematurely losing their shit over this. Also, the hate all being sent Sony's way when Disney is just as (if not more) at fault is embarrassing.
Yeah, I definitely agree and because of that I see the Etcetera thread as an embarrassing car wreck. Aside from the folks who are freaking out, there are folks sitting around posting just to prod at people for fun.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I definitely agree and because of that I see the Etcetera thread as an embarrassing car wreck. Aside from the folks who are freaking out, there are folks sitting around posting just to prod at people for fun.
Era/Twitter/Discord is all an embarrassment now. A bunch of grown ass adults acting like children

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
People don't understand that Sony Pictures has NOTHING to do with PlayStation so they let their stupid console warrior mentality shine through.
You're 100% right, but you were doing the same thing for a second, man:
pelS8gw.png

Like, I get it, you deleted it, but you can't just pretend it didn't happen. You need examine what brought you to that post and see how it could lead other people to reach the conclusions that you're complaining about.

It makes sense that people that are so invested in one thing or another can get worked up one way or the other over something like this. We all have our blindspots, especially emotional and tribalistic ones; we should approach the ones of others with empathy. Best we can do is educate and try and keep a level head.

Console warrior mentality is stupid, same with film warrior mentality.

Corporations aren't your friends.

Well that's one way to jump on a trending hashtag:

9-28.jpg

are we just pushing conspiracy theories now?
I find the idea that Kevin Feige doesn't have time for the biggest Marvel property ludicrous.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

This is probably Loki. WandaVision may end up being 6 episodes too, but given that production has already started and it's going to start filming in a few weeks, I imagine Marvel has already lined up the director(s) for that series and just not made an announcement yet. I don't think they would be hiring a director for a 6-episode miniseries just now if it were for something shooting in a month.

Oct 31, 2017
Are you seriously buying Sony's bullshit damage control statement that Kevin Feige didn't have enough time for Marvel's most popular character?

I find the idea that Kevin Feige doesn't have time for the biggest Marvel property ludicrous.

Feige is busy....for Sony's schedule. Sony wanted a new Spider movie every 2 years, according to rumors. Marvel Studios is not gonna allow their schedule to be dictated by someone else. I always found the idea that Marvel Studios would just bend over and give in to Sony's requirement of a new movie every 2 years ludicrous. Panther 2 is having a 4 year gap. Marvel 2 probably the same.

MS probably would like SM 3 in 2023 where Sony would like to have SM4 at that time.

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Feige is busy....for Sony's schedule. Sony wanted a new Spider movie every 2 years, according to rumors. Marvel Studios is not gonna allow their schedule. I always found the idea that Marvel Studios would just bend over and give in to Sony's requirement of a new movie every 2 years ludicrous. Panther 2 is having a 4 year gap. Marvel 2 probably the same.

MS probably would like SM 3 in 2023 where Sony would like to have SM4 at that time.
Yeah. Feige is a busy dude and he's not going to bend over backwards for a studio he doesn't even work for.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Feige is busy....for Sony's schedule. Sony wanted a new Spider movie every 2 years, according to rumors. Marvel Studios is not gonna allow their schedule to be dictated by someone else. I always found the idea that Marvel Studios would just bend over and give in to Sony's requirement of a new movie every 2 years ludicrous. Panther 2 is having a 4 year gap. Marvel 2 probably the same.

But you then add Venom to that roster and now you can Do a Venom or Spider-man film every 1.5 years or if they can find a way to make another yearly film out of a Spider-man property (*cough* live-action Miles Morales series *cough*) you could do a rotation of those 3 every year.

The bummer in all of this is if Sony decides to reboot Spider-man again, we'd probably get a live-action Miles Morales led film finally but not at all like I had wanted or he deserves.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless who's at fault, I don't think Sony not wanting to work with Disney is going to be worth all the goodwill they've lost because of this. At the very least Spider-Man 3 will end up having a lower box office and will now end up having to compete with and be massively overshadowed by the MCU which is what happened with ASM2. Also keep in mind that Holland and Watts and everyone else working on these films were hired specifically to work on films for Marvel Studios, so it looks like they've been burned as well. This could potentially mean another reboot and no one is going to turn out for the third reboot in less than a decade without the crutch of a major franchise like the MCU to get butts into theaters. You can only reboot a series so many times before audiences are burned out.

I'm not going to fault Sony specifically on this but they're being short sighted if they think they have it all under control. Sony only has Spider-Man, his rogues gallery, and a few allies to carry solo films presumeably with the expectation that they need to do about as well as Venom or MCU to keep the series relevant and exciting. And really, do you think this huge number of people is going to turn out for a Morbius or Kraven movie? At least Venom was a really popular character before his movie, no one knows who these guys are. You make them villains in a Spider-Man movie. At the end of the day, Sony's got the most to lose from this deal. The MCU worked without Spider-Man before, nor is he critical element of it. Sony on the other hand has fucked up this series so many times with 3, the Garfield movies, and even not giving Spider-verse a bigger push because the execs didn't understand what they had. They simply don't have the track record to make anyone confident they can do this alone. And since Sony and Disney are about as big relatively speaking, who even cares which large corporation has the character at this point, it's all about who can make the better movie. And let's face it, the vast majority of people are saying it's Disney.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
The bummer in all of this is if Sony decides to reboot Spider-man again, we'd probably get a live-action Miles Morales led film finally but not at all like I had wanted or he deserves.
People point to Spider-Verse as proof that Sony can still do good Spider-Man stories and why Spidey going back to Sony might not be terrible, but I'm going to be real Sony needs to do a little more to prove that Spider-Verse wasn't just a fluke. So yeah, I'm not convinced they'd give live action Miles the justice he deserves

Oct 31, 2017
But you then add Venom to that roster and now you can Do a Venom or Spider-man film every 1.5 years or if they can find a way to make another yearly film out of a Spider-man property (*cough* live-action Miles Morales series *cough*) you could do a rotation of those 3 every year.

The problem in your scenario is that Sony is controlling the schedule and affecting Marvel Studios' plans. Do you think Marvel would have preferred to not have any movies announced until after Endgame was out? Do you think they would have preferred a breather after endgame and having their next movie maybe in November or something?

Marvel may want to have Blade, Magneto, Nova, and Dr. Doom movie in year X, but then they would have to move that to accommodate for Sony. Marvel Studios is the bigger entity and what they are doing is working. They shouldn't change their plans. I can see why they wanted half of everything, including the spin offs.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
The problem in your scenario is that Sony is controlling the schedule and affecting Marvel Studios' plans. Do you think Marvel would have preferred to not have any movies announced until after Endgame was out? Do you think they would have preferred a breather after endgame and having their next movie maybe in November or something?

Marvel may want to have Blade, Magneto, Nova, and Dr. Doom movie in year X, but then they would have to move that to accommodate for Sony. Marvel Studios is the bigger entity and what they are doing is working. They shouldn't change their plans. I can see why they wanted half of everything, including the spin offs.
In my scenario, Sony is nothing more than a glorified investor who's only role in the process would be to partly finance the production and be entitled to whatever percentage of the gross of the films. If someone told me I could invest $100M every year and get back $400M nearly guaranteed, i'd do that in a heartbeat. That's pretty much what this deal could amount to for Sony and given their recent franchise film flops such as Men In Black: International and Ghostbuster 2016, i'd take that guaranteed money while I could.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's only a matter of time before Sony fucks up the franchise again. If Holland doesn't bail they might have just enough wind in their sails to drop a decent 3rd film but everything after that is going to be the usual Sony garbage.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

So that 50% narrative is bullshit:
Disney had been seeking a co-financing arrangement on upcoming movies, looking for at least a 30 percent stake. Sony, which counts Spider-Man as one of its only reliable moneymaking franchises, said no.

Sony thinks they don't need Disney anymore:
In the next month and a half, Far From Home would go on to catch $1.109 billion in the box office web, becoming Sony's biggest movie of all time. The figure reinforced both sides' thinking. Sony executives believed they didn't need Disney anymore, and Disney was in no way leaving money, and Peter Parker, behind, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The stuff about a counter offer by Sony might be BS too:
Now, insiders at both studios are pointing fingers at one another about counter offers that never happened or offers that were supposedly mighty generous.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017

So that 50% narrative is bullshit:

Sony thinks they don't need Disney anymore:

The stuff about a counter offer by Sony might be BS too:
Considering Spider-Man is one of the only big money makers for Sony Pictures at this point I wouldn't be shocked if they thought a 30% stake would be too much. Hope some of the public statements being made weren't false. In general I hope both sides grow up and get this done.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony is so confident in their Superhero movie making skills, why not bring Miles Morales into their Sony Universe of Marvel Characters? They can make Spiderman movies at whatever pace they want, cast whoever they want, and operate in a separated Universe without the baggage of MCU confusion.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
If Sony is so confident in their Superhero movie making skills, why not bring Miles Morales into their Sony Universe of Marvel Characters? They can make Spiderman movies at whatever pace they want, cast whoever they want, and operate in a separated Universe without the baggage of MCU confusion.
That's probably what they plan on doing, if they can't strike a deal.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

I would love to know this as well.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
They are making a live-action Silk film.

Sony should use Scarlett Spider and call it a day.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if Sony leaked the initial story and not Disney, since the article ManaByte linked to shows Disney being a tad more reasonable.

That being said a 30% cut still seems like a lot.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a mandate they can only use Peter Parker Spider-Man

Iirc, Marvel can only use Peter Parker. Sony can use any Spider-Man character they want.

They are making a live-action Silk film.

Sony should use Scarlett Spider and call it a day.

Its crazy to me, Sony passively got a billion dollar movie. They could stand to continue to passively eat off of MCU work AND use their newfound confidence to do their own Spider-Man live action universe. They can have their cake, eat it, and still keep goodwill with comic movie fans.

Last edited:

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Its crazy to me, Sony passively made a billion dollars. They could stand to continue to passively eat off of MCU work AND use their newfound confidence to do their own Spider-Man live action universe. They can have their cake, eat it, and still keep goodwill with comic movie fans.
That's what they want to do though, lol. They want to keep the deal as is going forward with no amended terms of changes to compensation and financing.

I assume that there are probably other factors at play that is making negotiations so difficult that we are not aware of. I can't imagine Disney doesn't want to put in place change of control termination rights which I'd assume Sony would vehemently oppose and that would be an impasse.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
That's what they want to do though, lol. They want to keep the deal as is going forward with no amended terms of changes to compensation and financing.

I assume that there are probably other factors at play that is making negotiations so difficult that we are not aware of. I can't imagine Disney doesn't want to put in place change of control termination rights which I'd assume Sony would vehemently oppose and that would be an impasse.

They can STILL passively eat of MCU even if the terms change to compensate Disney more. Even giving up 30-50% they are spending less and making more than they ever would w/o Feige.

If they want to make their own movies they can do that via live action spider-verse w/o screwing with mcu.

Status
Not open for further replies.