flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Ben Reilly being a villain is fine as there are already a ton of heroic Spider-people running around. And I dig the suit and name. But I don't care for the reason Ben is bad now or back when he was the Jackal. Like, just make him turn bad instead of having his memories or sanity fucked with.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I just saw that Spidercide is back and now they turn Ben back into a villain? I think this design looks kinda cool but I'll just try to forget that Ben is back until he's either "dead" again or Peter is able to break through whatever mind control or programming from Beyond that will be revealed to be behind all of this.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even a Ben Reily fan and this upsets me. They did him dirty. And boy that dialogue is 90s edgelord. And the splash has only one sentence on it..

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I just saw that Spidercide is back and now they turn Ben back into a villain? I think this design looks kinda cool but I'll just try to forget that Ben is back until he's either "dead" again or Peter is able to break through whatever mind control or programming from Beyond that will be revealed to be behind all of this.

wait i'm mostly only reading ASM and miles at the moment, where did spidercide come back? he's like the one character from that arc i'd have left dead

which is to say i'd prolly bring back judas traveller and scrier and not fuck it up somehow

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
wait i'm mostly only reading ASM and miles at the moment, where did spidercide come back? he's like the one character from that arc i'd have left dead

which is to say i'd prolly bring back judas traveller and scrier and not fuck it up somehow

There's a Ben Reilly book set during the 90s Clone Saga currently being published.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I'd also like to point out how damned annoying of a trope it is to have Ben (or any of Peter's clones) be envious of Peter's life. Like, has any of them actually paid any attention? Peter's life is shit because the writers won't let him be anything other than a perpetual loser. Why not let Ben or Kaine actually fulfill the promise of the "Big Time" run and let them be successful since they're not tied down by Peter's baggage? Why not let Ben have a successful marriage and hero/life balance to show that Peter's self-flagellating guilt has a cost that he's really bringing on himself?

If the writers and editorial don't think Ben has a place in Spidey's world, then maybe they need to stop either having him be either Hobo Peter or a villain, and actually let the character PROGRESS for once. It worked for Venom, FFS.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
this is it 100%, by the way

Here we go, I found it. One of my favorite and most vivid comic pages from the 90s. It's from part 1 of Revelations, the final arc of the Clone Saga.

aplz6l5gjpe41.jpg

This is why fans wanted Ben back.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read any of the new Ben stuff, but he'll always be my favorite Spidey. It's amazing how Marvel still find ways to ruin the character. Like, what made Ben great was that he was Spider-Man without the limitations and responsibilities that were a constant burden on Peter, as he often disappointed his friends and family being Spiderman. Now Ben is an edge-lord that's jealous of Pete, someone that was like a brother to him???

smh, c'mon Marvel.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I have no opinion on this other than "that's a really rad design". I love it.

Dec 30, 2020
He... looks kinda like a grape in the Chasm costume.

Not going to lie, I kinda want to put him in my fruit salad.

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Other's have said it, but it needs reiterating, why can't he just be The Scarlet Spider. Ugh, this is all so stupid. Maybe they'll feel inspired to do right by him if the MCU and Sony have any plans for Ben.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Other's have said it, but it needs reiterating, why can't he just be The Scarlet Spider. Ugh, this is all so stupid. Maybe they'll feel inspired to do right by him if the MCU and Sony have any plans for Ben.

I'm not sure how the MCU would handle Ben Reilly, lol. Probably would be easier to hope he shows up in a Spider-Verse movie. (Although blonde Peter voiced by Chris Pine sort of was Ben Reilly.)

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm not sure how the MCU would handle Ben Reilly, lol. Probably would be easier to hope he shows up in a Spider-Verse movie. (Although blonde Peter voiced by Chris Pine sort of was Ben Reilly.)
Yeah, I don't think the Clone Saga is something that can really work outside of a TV show. And in that case, you'd have to plant the seeds in earlier seasons and then have it pay off later.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't think the Clone Saga is something that can really work outside of a TV show. And in that case, you'd have to plant the seeds in earlier seasons and then have it pay off later.

I was just thinking about how they just did a multiversal team-up film so they aren't going to have the next movie be about Peter and his clone(s).

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
It's written by JM DeMatteis.

...say no more, ill catch up soon

Here we go, I found it. One of my favorite and most vivid comic pages from the 90s. It's from part 1 of Revelations, the final arc of the Clone Saga.

aplz6l5gjpe41.jpg

This is why fans wanted Ben back.

this is good. i totally missed this arc in the day, because i'm pretty sure i dropped out sometime after the reveal, or maybe it was timebomb

Could've just let Ben be West Coast Spider-Man.

there's literally zero reason he couldn't set up a spider franchise there, yeah

Oh wait, I think I was mistaking him for the writer that had Gwen bang Norman Osborn.

J. Michael Straczynski

to be fair, JMS had a mostly fun run without awful bits like that. ultimate aside, the character was kinda in the toilet before and he tried some stuff, the totem things were weird but it was obvious to me he really wanted to be writing dr strange or something as the run went on

in an alternate timeline tobey plays the clone in no way home, and it's no less messy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Feels like the people who want MJ dead and make Clone Saga happen are still in power in Marvel. It's all been downhill with the goodwill since they failed to undo One More Day.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Theres too many spider people, really never cared about Ben either so them bringing him back was a huge groan worthy moment. Him being bad was ugh, then making him good again? Oh for fucks sake. Now this....

Just kill him off for good

PS: Kaine was better

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Ben. I thought they were doing him right by giving him time as Spiderman again, but this ain't it.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
As someone that hates Ben Reilly, I hope that he finally works as a villain or they just stop talking about him altogether. The whole Spider-Man clone saga is boring, this is an interesting twist.

I actually think Ben Reilly being a villain is fine as there are already a ton of heroic Spider-people running around. And I dig the suit and name. But I don't care for the reason Ben is bad now or back when he was the Jackal. Like, just make him turn bad instead of having his memories or sanity fucked with.
Also this.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Why they got to do my boy Ben like that? Just let him be Scarlet Spider in somewhere that's not NYC and leave him alone.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
so, prior to the twist, i really don't get why 90s spidey fans didn't enjoy the clone saga

- new villains being introduced (again i really thought traveller/scrier started out interesting too)
- aunt may has one of the most tasteful deaths of that era
- pete's supporting cast finally grows beyond the usual suspects
- ben shows up on the scene and absolutely handles venom with impact webbing/etc, you can see the differences in them early
- spidey costume variations are almost always dope
- jackal isn't the best mastermind but we finally have something that wasn't tied to osborn, until the bullshit mea cupa final act
- shit man kaine's running around snapping classic villain necks, stunner wants revenge, pete's trying to deal with this after losing aunt may and hearing the prophecy of harm coming to MJ and also she's preggers and all 4 spidey books are bouncing around fun stuff what more do you want

still sad the life & times of ben reilly went offline, the writer notes in there were interesting (again kaine's powers were meant to be an evolution of pete's, etc)

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
so, prior to the twist, i really don't get why 90s spidey fans didn't enjoy the clone saga

- new villains being introduced (again i really thought traveller/scrier started out interesting too)
- aunt may has one of the most tasteful deaths of that era
- pete's supporting cast finally grows beyond the usual suspects
- ben shows up on the scene and absolutely handles venom with impact webbing/etc, you can see the differences in them early
- spidey costume variations are almost always dope
- jackal isn't the best mastermind but we finally have something that wasn't tied to osborn, until the bullshit mea cupa final act
- shit man kaine's running around snapping classic villain necks, stunner wants revenge, pete's trying to deal with this after losing aunt may and hearing the prophecy of harm coming to MJ and also she's preggers and all 4 spidey books are bouncing around fun stuff what more do you want

still sad the life & times of ben reilly went offline, the writer notes in there were interesting (again kaine's powers were meant to be an evolution of pete's, etc)

Clone Saga was massive and lasted way way too long. They kept also pulling the rug from under readers on whose who, what's real, and it's clear the editors at Marvel kept changing their minds as it went back and forth for years. Lot of fans also loved Peter and he was established as his Spiderman, to have someone come in and go "your not real, this is now the real spiderman", was a kick in the groin for many fans too. But then again it went on for years and they kept backing off on the twists with new twists and it required following so so many books. It just was frustrating as all hell at the time.

It's common to see and hear from fans how they quit during this period, they got sick of years of this storyline just never ending, and then disappointed twists making folks mad and then changing it later. It just pissed lot of folks off. Folks happy with Ben, but angry Peter fans. Then you get Peter fans happy again who stuck around and only to have them make the Ben fans upset. It kept doing shit to both sides and then the cop out ending to it all

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Clone Saga was massive and lasted way way too long. They kept also pulling the rug from under readers on whose who, what's real, and it's clear the editors at Marvel kept changing their minds as it went back and forth for years. Lot of fans also loved Peter and he was established as his Spiderman, to have someone come in and go "your not real, this is now the real spiderman", was a kick in the groin for many fans too. But then again it went on for years and they kept backing off on the twists with new twists and it required following so so many books. It just was frustrating as all hell at the time.

It's common to see and hear from fans how they quit during this period, they got sick of years of this storyline just never ending, and then disappointed twists making folks mad and then changing it later. It just pissed lot of folks off. Folks happy with Ben, but angry Peter fans. Then you get Peter fans happy again who stuck around and only to have them make the Ben fans upset. It kept doing shit to both sides and then the cop out ending to it all

no no, i'm not arguing at the point of "the reveal/twist"....something like 80% (i wanna say?) of the readership dropped off by then, and with good reason. i was one of them, i read some of ben's sensational stuff but was largely checked out...x-books were kinda struggling soon after, it was a rough time for flagship books

you're not wrong that it went on way longer than need be, but the stuff i posted about is largely in the first half of the event, and that's when i think it was really great. by the end (having gone back & read it, after basically just letting wizard spoil it because i was salty) the whole tying in osborn/offing ben was obviously reactionary and something of a mercy killing anyway

Feb 16, 2022
That one issue worked so hard to destroy Ben's character. I knew it was coming since people here told me about the leak, but reading the actual issue was way worse.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Should have just let him be Spiderman in another country just rip off Batman incorporated.