TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
"Rom the Space Knight" has been one of those comics that has been in rights issues for years but that is no longer the case, as Marvel Comics will be reprinting Collected Editions of the Series in Jaunary 2024. This is a collab between Marvel Comics has Hasbro in order to re-release these comics.ROM: THE ORIGINAL YEARS OMNIBUS VOLUME 1 will collect ROM (1979) #1-29 and POWER MAN AND IRON FIST (1978) #73.

rom_1_facsimile.jpg

www.marvel.com

Rom, the Greatest of the Spaceknights, Returns to Marvel Comics in All-New Omnibus Collections

Starting next year, new 'Rom: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus' collections will reprint the entire comics run of ROM for the first time ever! Plus, a brand-new Facsimile Edition of 'Rom' #1 on sale in September.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've never read these. I also never expected to be able to legally. Is it still worth it, or is it mainly nostalgia for old fans?

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhhh shit.

I know we shouldn't be. But they had to know the question everyone was going to think when they did this.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I had never heard of this I don't think until I saw Omar's announcement video on it this morning. Now I'm interested.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Good news. I've always wanted to read that series. Hopefully they can work out a way to reprint the Micronauts next.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes! Now give me Micronauts!

I have most of the floppies but I'm missing a handful at the end.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely interested in giving it a try, though I'm hoping they put it out in Epic Collections sooner rather than later so I can save a bit of cash.

This and Kirby's adaptation of 2001: A Space Odyssey have always been my biggest wants from Marvel's licensed stuff. I feel like there's way less demand for 2001, though, despite Kirby's pedigree. Still, maybe someday.

I have to assume Micronauts is next, and then maybe even Transformers and GI Joe?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It was such an interesting comic book to me as a child of the 80's. It was scifi on the surface, but also had black magic, demons, and monsters. They would wear people's skin and possess others. ROM just chewed through them every issue, killing fuckers left and right. It felt very Cthulhu adjacent with all the cultists and hidden figures, so it fit right in with the horror comics I was reading and collecting at the time.

I even had the toy!

rom-hasbro-toy.jpg

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Oh god, oh shit, please let this be a prelude to ROM appearing in the MCU! I've been asking for this for so long, please Feige make it happen!

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect world, he would've been in GotG - comics and/or MCU

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, oh shit, please let this be a prelude to ROM appearing in the MCU! I've been asking for this for so long, please Feige make it happen!

I wouldn't get my hopes up about this. Marvel had the Conan license for comics for a few years and it didn't lead to anything with the MCU.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I never read this myself. It does sound like an interesting, classic run of comics based on what I've heard others say about it over the years.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
So happy this will be available. ROM played a decently big part in Bronze Age Marvel, especially in a few key X-Men arcs. As others have said, I'd love to see Marvel get the Micronauts given their similar ties to the broader Marvel Universe as well.

I'm fine either way on Transformers personally, but seriously what in the world is going on with those rights? They've been floating for a decent amount of time now.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the character is specifically under license - they've got Hasbro plastered right on the cover - I wouldn't hold your breath for any multimedia stuff. No chance they'd gamble on movie appearances for a character that another company can yank away at a moment's notice... unless they're Spider-Man. And he's definitely not Spider-Man.

Maybe we'll get him back in the comics, though. That'd be cool. one of the weirder things about reading cosmic Marvel since the 00s is how there's clearly a ton of stuff from ROM in there, but they have to dance around the actual character so much.

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah! I remember reading ROM back in the day! It was great! Used to also read Micronauts and Power Pack! Happy memories!

Oct 26, 2017
All I know about Rom is that he was part of the crossover that fucked up the Transformers IDW run at the end, so I don't have any particular love for him.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
oh damn, I thought IDW had the ROM license.

IDW's on the verge of collapse and it's not like Hasbro's doing much better either. Definitely the right kind of time for this to come about.

I absolutely hope so. ROM was one of my dad's favorite comic book characters. An MCU version of him would be the dream.

sigh...Quantumania could have been an awesome Micronauts movie

Quantumania basically is a Micronauts movie with Ant-Man, Kang, and MODOK as stand-ins. It's part of why it's so jarring as an Ant-Man sequel.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
ROM was such a wonderfully odd comic I'm glad it's being rescued from limbo. Since it was based on a toy that flopped, it was a licensed comic that served no point since wasn't trying to sell a line of merchandise or set up a continuity for a brand. Instead, it went buck wild with alien invaders and space wizards, and it all took place right in the middle of Marvel continuity. I wonder how generous Hasbro is going to be with the license, since the only reason anyone remembers Rom is because of his Marvel run.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't bought any comics in a while, but I'll be getting this.

ROM was such a wonderfully odd comic I'm glad it's being rescued from limbo. Since it was based on a toy that flopped, it was a licensed comic that served no point since wasn't trying to sell a line of merchandise or set up a continuity for a brand. Instead, it went buck wild with alien invaders and space wizards, and it all took place right in the middle of Marvel continuity. I wonder how generous Hasbro is going to be with the license, since the only reason anyone remembers Rom is because of his Marvel run.

Depends. They could let the MCU use him and sell a bunch of toys or they could keep not making their own Rom movie and sell nothing.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Ah, I was curious about it, since ROM-adjacent stuff kept popping up in mid Claremont era of X-Men. Very nice, hopefully it comes to MU someday

xeris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have almost a complete run of ROM, still have the toy (my son has played with it when he was younger as well), and went one Halloween in a home-made ROM costume. I'm all in for this!

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
ROM, the Micronauts, and to a lesser extent the Shogun Warriors were all part of my Marvel education in the late 1970's and early 80's. Great to see them reprinting the series after so many years, especially since it had some pretty heavy ties into the Marvel Universe.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Loved discovering ROM when I wen through my Dad's collection. Still remember him outwitting Galactus.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Damn, I thought DC would make Billy Captain Marvel again before we see Rom in Marvel again
Well it's just a reprint. ROM is still IDW when it comes to modern stuff.

Also Shazam is never going to be Captain Marvel in our lifetime.

Maybe after the MCU becomes a sentient being that needs to be defeated by showing it the best aspects of humanity... Then punching I.