AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man is honestly the easiest character though.

Iron Man and Hulk and Thor are difficult. Captain America might be easy though.

Agreed. The problem with many superheros are they aren't 'grounded' or limited by physical/natural rules that make a solid video game practical with existing technology/cost/time limitations. Spider-man and Batman have worked because they are basically just enhanced humans with gadgets and gear. Open-world IMO works better for Spider-man because he does have abilities that make traversal better.

Just have a hard time envisioning Iron-Man or Thor games. Hulk is more conceivable, but he's still so powerful that it becomes difficult.

Captain America seems like it would be a good choice (think God of War 2018, shield combat and throw techniques). Black Panther too - Wakanda would be awesome. I think a Guardians game could work pretty well too, maybe with a missions based structure where you alternate between characters. Or maybe this could be Hawkeye's chance to shine!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
My only wish is sony doesn't start putting all their 1st party studios in making marvel games now. Spiderman was absolutely phenomenal and possibly my goty but that doesn't mean I don't want other type of games.
And hopefully exclusivity was only a one off thing and they are multiplatform from next game onwards.

I agree to an extent, but I'd take more superhero stuff if they're just gonna make things like Days Gone which doesn't look appealing to me at all.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
So why would they go to Square Enix with other IP from Marvel instead of just signing a deal with Sony?
because that's what the SE teams picked? your entire argument is rendered invalid because marvel didnt ask sony to make spiderman. they asked them to make a marvel game with a trusted developer. that developer chose spider-man.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Agreed. The problem with many superheros are they aren't 'grounded' or limited by physical/natural rules that make a solid video game practical with existing technology/cost/time limitations. Spider-man and Batman have worked because they are basically just enhanced humans with gadgets and gear. Open-world IMO works better for Spider-man because he does have abilities that make traversal better.

Just have a hard time envisioning Iron-Man or Thor games. Hulk is more conceivable, but he's still so powerful that it becomes difficult.

Captain America seems like it would be a good choice (think God of War 2018, shield combat and throw techniques). Black Panther too - Wakanda would be awesome. I think a Guardians game could work pretty well too, maybe with a missions based structure where you alternate between characters. Or maybe this could be Hawkeye's chance to shine!
An agent shield game would work. Use characters like hawkeye, black widow, nick fury, etc

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Yea that's from insomniac plus the head of insomniac games said the same thing in an ign unfiltered interview.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. Like i said, i cant seem to find any information on this topic.

So Marvel didnt choose spiderman, and Insomniac was actually the ones who chose the IP themselves?

I still do believe that future Marvel games should be multiplat as you are missing out on millions of potential buyers for these IP. Though Insomniac was the perfect choice for Spiderman, and they really did do a fantastic job with it.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. Like i said, i cant seem to find any information on this topic.

So Marvel didnt choose spiderman, and Insomniac was actually the ones who chose the IP themselves?
Yea marvel went to Sony and wanted one of their ips to be treated like a first party release to kick off their new marvel games initiative and suggested insomniac games. Sony went to insomniac and asked if they were interested in working on a marvel ip. After they said yes, they were given an option of picking any character and they unanimously chose Spider-Man.

Aug 29, 2018
How are all these video games going to have the same exact style and tone? The movement of each superhero is different enough to warrant a different game.

The same committee making all of the shots behind so much of the big budget movies these days are now also going to be calling the shots in what is okay for their video games, they have a big influence on development and that influence will be similar between games. They will likely call for more realistic look, certain tone, certain build up and cinematic moment, certain this certain that it'll probably only get more specific as they feel out the field and see what succeeds. We are definitely going to loose style and unique tone, different movement options will not change that. Games already have different movement options, and different art directions, and different story directions....

Sure a lot of people believe each of their favorite hero deserves it's own game unfortunately Disney is huge. It will be at the cost of a lot of top talent in the AAA already shrinking creative freedoms.

If you can't see the similarities between everything produced by modern Disney from Marvel to Star Wars idk what to say, personally super tired of it, after seeing enough of them I realized my time would be better spent literally looking at a wall that's about how interesting they've made things. Everything has to be so samey because you have to believe it fits in literally the same exact universe, and even when that isn't the case you can feel no strong creative direction in their movies. They feel like check lists. That formula started with Ironman, this statement is not a good sign.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

I still do believe that future Marvel games should be multiplat as you are missing out on millions of potential buyers for these IP. Though Insomniac was the perfect choice for Spiderman, and they really did do a fantastic job with it.
Honestly the goal is to get the best games as possible.

I dont think Marvel should stop themselves from working with Sony (or Microsoft) to get games even if that means they are exclusive

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7dtM1...r2TAHBM8-q05O1Qq5&index=4&t=0s#fauxfullscreen

Starts at 39 minutes where the head of insomniac discusses the marvel deal. Amazing how many people keep bringing up the Sony pictures stuff. I can't wait for another game to be greenlit with a different character so people will realize the reason Sony got this deal is because they are one of very few publishers willing to invest huge in AAA narrative driven single player games and have proven track record with uncharted, last of us, god of war etc...

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC

And we all know how that turned out.

Translation for clarity:
He is not saying Spider-Man PS4 is the start of a video game connected universe. He is saying that Spider-Man PS4 is a critical & commercial success directly from the new Marvel Games that will set a precedence for the quality of product they will put out in the future. (For instance this was the first game to get the official marvel "stamp of approval") just like Iron Man (2008).

That's a nice honor bestowed on Insomniac.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
The same committee making all of the shots behind so much of the big budget movies these days are now also going to be calling the shots in what is okay for their video games, they have a big influence on development and that influence will be similar between games. They will likely call for more realistic look, certain tone, certain build up and cinematic moment, certain this certain that it'll probably only get more specific as they feel out the field and see what succeeds. We are definitely going to loose style and unique tone, different movement options will not change that. Games already have different movement options, and different art directions, and different story directions....

So your theory is that Kevin Feige et al, who have done a great job of letting different characters and movies in the MCU have radically different tones (compare Ragnarok to Ant-Man to Winter Soldier) are going to for some reason....insist that all the video games are going to be "realistic" and samey, with identical tones?

You sure you're not thinking of the DCEU or something?

Aug 29, 2018
So your theory is that Kevin Feige et al, who have done a great job of letting different characters and movies in the MCU have radically different tones (compare Ragnarok to Ant-Man to Winter Soldier) are going to for some reason....insist that all the video games are going to be "realistic" and samey, with identical tones?

You sure you're not thinking of the DCEU or something?

Dude, like I said if you cant see the similarities between all those projects I do noott know what to say to you. He has not done a great job. Agree to disagree. I mean Disney directors work on scenes in movies they aren't credited for and nobody can tell. Up till 2015 there was a committee that was giving the directors headaches so they hand to disband it, but the moment to moment in those movies still feels very formulaic with creativity of most of them feeling nonexistent. Gaurdian of the Galaxies James Gunn was the closest thing they had and they fired him for some dead baby esque jokes he made on twitter years and years ago well before working there

People do not want to see a directors vision or creative take imposed on their favorite comic book hero, they just want to see their favorite comic book hero, the one they see in movies. That in itself will hurt the industry for me now that Disney has decided to fully enter the ring

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the goal is to get the best games as possible.

I dont think Marvel should stop themselves from working with Sony (or Microsoft) to get games even if that means they are exclusive
I dont think they should go to either Sony or Microsoft. These are big IP that would sell on both, and on PC. Sure quality is still extremely important, but there is plenty of talent in the game industry. In this instance, I think Insomniac was the perfect choice, and that is thanks to Sony, so im happy that Sony chose Insomniac.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't get these suits. Actually getting quality studios to make your game works! Plus giving them time and autonomy also works a lot!

I really need to get a job in the industry on the business side lol. This should not be revelation.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
Man I'd love to see naughty dog have a crack at a captain America game

Edit: remedy making a doctor strange game :) please someone read this and make it happen

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I own all platforms so this wouldn't affect me, but I find it really distasteful that people are actively rooting for platform holders to lock down exclusivity deals on wide appeal IPs.

That shit is annoying as fuck.

Spider-Man shouldn't have been an exclusive to begin with, and now we have people actively advocated for more deals like it. That shit is wack.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

There's an excellent 'proof of concept' Hulk game already in Ultimate Destruction that, to this day, is one of the better comic book games around. The game succeeded by fully embracing what the Hulk is.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
There are very few in the industry that are willing to invest boatloads of cash into an IP they don't own and make a good product.

Sony: Get lucrative IP as exclusive
Insomniac: Becomes markee 3rd party developer
Marvel: Video game IPs are seen as quality items.

Sure they could have if they didn't mind working hard on something they didn't own. Which many won't unless owned by a publisher. You won't see Naughty Dog, Playground games, or Nintendo studio work on a game. (without heavy stipulation of exclusivity/ownership)

If you think great games fall just off trees than okay.

At this point they do. How many games release that are high profile but suck? Very few.

But regardless, bless Sony our Messiah who art generous.

I would give my first born for their eternal joy, the only ones capable of making a good game.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need a tactical action Avengers game that lets me Switch between who I control in a brawl on the fly