• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The already huge audience for this film is going to be bolstered even further by those that had no interest in the MCU but now will be seeing this because of Black Panther's and Wakanda's involvement.

This may well be the #1 movie of all time.

Ehh, I feel like I've seen this sort of thinking before with Civil War and Spider-Man. I'm more inclined to think that the BP expanded audience, and more casual superhero filmgoers in general, will see it as just "another Avengers movie" and/or will be intimidated by the (probably mostly accurate) impression that IW requires you to have seen every previous Marvel Studios film.

It should still easily clear a billion, probably over $1.3 billion, but I don't expect it to outgross the first Avengers at this point.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about the Blu-ray release, not digital.

ManaByte used the 90 day window as reasoning for IW releasing on Blu-ray in August.

Well, yeah. I guess you don't get the blu-ray.

But nowadays a digital release is every bit a "home video" release for all intents and purposes.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, I feel like I've seen this sort of thinking before with Civil War and Spider-Man. I'm more inclined to think that the BP expanded audience, and more casual superhero filmgoers in general, will see it as just "another Avengers movie" and/or will be intimidated by the (probably mostly accurate) impression that IW requires you to have seen every previous Marvel Studios film.

It should still easily clear a billion, probably over $1.3 billion, but I don't expect it to outgross the first Avengers at this point.
its coming out ~2 months after one of the biggest movie phenomenons in recent history and its characters and the settings play a huge role. Black Panther is gonna give it a huge boost

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is Black Panther might still be in the Dollar Theaters

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
The budget for these two movies is supposed to be a billion dollars. I mean, they will make money, but it's more about keeping the brand going.

Can't wait to give them my 5.40 plus convenience charges.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Smart, very smart. Give Solo some breathing room, and also don't get eaten into by Deadpool.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man. The ALL CAPITALS on the word FANTASTIC and the cropped out Avengers logo to make it look like a 4 really made me freak out for a few seconds.

I was so sure that was a hint hint nudge nude kinda deal.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
They're going to need some better trailers for this to not feel like just another one of the team up flicks. That first trailer didn't move the needle for me at all.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like we might be getting overkill in superhero movies.

3 X-Men movies
3 marvel
Maybe 2 or 3 Sony.

Plus 2 or 3 dc movies.

All in a year.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I'm going to readjust my thoughts given recent events.

Black Panther 2 - May
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - July
Doctor Strange 2 - November

I would actually place bets with real money on that.

That's way too fast of a turnaround on BP. Only Iron Man and Iron Man 2 had that fast of a turnaround time.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Actually, I'm going to readjust my thoughts given recent events.

Black Panther 2 - May
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - July
Doctor Strange 2 - November

I would actually place bets with real money on that.

Fast-tracking the BP sequel would be a good idea but I dunno. My dream scenario is the Fox deal gets completed by the end of the year or early 2019. Black Widow in 2020, BP2 Summer 2021.

But I'm not gonna try to predict any unannounced stuff now, so much could shift around once the Fox deal goes through.

With those new dates through 2022 showing 3 movies per year, I suspect there will be a 4th slot added starting in 2021/2022 for F4 and X-Men and other Fox-related characters. There will be less general Marvel movies each year, with one more Marvel Studios film to fit in the newcomers.

Fantastic Four in late 2021 - 60th Anniversary makes it almost too perfect.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
They don't need to do that as you're kind of... incredibly alone in that opinion. :P
I guess, I just don't know how hyped regular moviegoers are going to get over another big battle movie starting some enormous purple jellybean that popped up a few times not doin' much.

I really see BP beating this domestically.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot Spider-Man was out next year too.

I wonder what that third 2020 spot is. Like I said, it's too quick for BP. Strange and Guardians are locks. Whatever it is has to go into production this year, so we should know soon.