Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I wonder, when I'm watching someone streamer do a sponsored #ad segment for a game, do sponsorships like that include similar clauses?
Or is this really new and egregious?
Sponsorships usually detail out things like, don't play past x point, avoid talking about x ending, etc. Review copies also usually say similar things to avoid story spoilers and such. I used to cover games for about 5-6 years and I never came across one that had a non-disparagement agreement. If they try to say it is because it's an alpha, then they should have just nda'd it and not allowed it to be streamed. They essentially made streamers that signed it an extension of their pr spin team.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I've seen a few anti-disparagement clauses in influencer contracts before, they tend to be unwritten rules now because what streamer would burn bridges.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So is the loophole making an objective negative review as opposed to subjective?
No opinions on anything related to game quality could be objective.

An objective "review" would read like this:

There are X amount of characters in this game. They're taken from marvel properties. Dr Strange is an example of one. In this game two teams compete with each other to win a match. Pressing R1 does X, Pressing R2 does Y. Etc...

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Strange. I've seen streamers not like the game and talk about the negative elements of it and what needs work.

I know because yesterday I literally asked someone streaming the game on twitch "What don't you like about it" and got an answer. Overall positive but fair bit that needs work.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Strange. I've seen streamers not like the game and talk about the negative elements of it and what needs work.

I know because yesterday I literally asked someone streaming the game on twitch "What don't you like about it" and got an answer. Overall positive but fair bit that needs work.
They probably got a key another way. Possible they broke the contract because they didn't read it, but the former seems more likely.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

They may have got the code from a fan. I know Pat got one from a fan so didn't need to sign shit.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
whats crazy is people really just want Overwatch without blizzard so badly.

Well if Netease is the solution to that, the monkeys paw curls once more.

More like without the people who made stupid decisions regarding the game.

Don't worry, they have no aspirations to turn Overwatch into Destiny anymore. That was almost all Jeff Kaplan's vision.

Obviously fake, but man that would be great

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I actually think this is fine though I'd never sign anything like this. Like obviously if you doing a promotional event for an upcoming product you are going to have the participants agree to not be negative about it publicly. That's exactly what you are signing up for.

How else would this work? Genuinely. Think of how and why such an initiative even exists.

Rodelero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think this is fine though I'd never sign anything like this. Like obviously if you doing a promotional event for an upcoming product you are going to have the participants agree to not be negative about it publicly. That's exactly what you are signing up for.

How else would this work? Genuinely. Think of how and why such an initiative even exists.

If they want to do that, they should pay the influencers and the influencers are obliged to say they've been paid.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Probably best to take any sponsored deal with a grain of salt. Even if it's not written into a contract I'd say there is an incentive to be positive, after all why would you continue receiving sponsorships if you just trash the game
Oh absolutely.
I kinda like when a sponsored game is clearly a stinker and good old Northernlion is doing his best to see the good in it.
I keep going back to a Dark Alliance stream where he went absolutely insane, having RP conversations with himself while waiting for matchmaking to happen..

That said, I guess this case differs since they're not paid for their time. It feels weird to have such clauses for simple access.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
If they want to do that, they should pay the influencers and the influencers are obliged to say they've been paid.
Sure they can pay them. Apparently influencers will just do this anyway without being paid though. Their prerogative to set the terms of what they will and will not do imo. I do not think the stakes are high here. If nobody is willing to be an influencer for a game the world will go on just fine

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
This applies to the content creator's program for a game that is in alpha, which is just like any other product with NDAs and whatnot. Considering how most of those upset are people who stream Overwatch (a game that does the same thing), this controversy is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao you know a game is off to a good start when they prohibit negative reviews.

I mean I get that it's an Alpha and a lot will change but man that is still goofy AF.

tjh282

May 29, 2019
kind of seems par for the course with their marketing/pr for the game, don't really seem fully equipped for the interest level.

On this specific issue, it's a leap to say no disparaging/sarcastic = no negative criticism. You can make a critique without ridiculing something.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Rivals is bootleg overwatch, a phauxcerwatch if you will, it's mid af and hulk has no ass, even Paladins is better then this trash, ain't this the studio that made Diablo immortal? Talk about a Minecraft china. I don't know what BBl Drizzy but I'm gonna say it.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I mean, this kinda makes sense. It's an alpha. Any and all negative comments about the game should be given directly to the developers to fix. Now, if this "no negative reactions" clause extends to after the game officially releases, then nah forget about it.

*Edit* actually, looking at more examples, this seems like it's worse than usual.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I gotta say some of the discussion around this game has been hilarious as people have framed it pretty heavily around people finally getting an opportunity to play something like Overwatch without having to support a scummy company like Blizzard.

On a personal note, what I played of Rivals was complete ass. The third person shooting is murky and unsatisfying, the sound design is awful, the vast majority of abilities are just blobby AoEs and slipshod melee attacks, and the TTK makes the whole game a slog.

It also runs like total shit and has some of the worst visual clarity I've seen since Battleborn. Geniunely do not understand the positive reception I've seen some from folks, outside of its a strong art direction (that very uncomfortably rips off OW and Valorant) it's got almost nothing going for it.

Enjoy your time in prison!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This is complete misinformation and the fact that there a bunch of low tier, half-assed gaming outlets running with it is a fucking joke.

This contract is only applicable if you signed up to their creator partner program, not just from signing up to play the alpha.

Imagine willingly signing up to be a content partner for a game and then complaining that you can't just spend all your videos bitching about it.
Yeah there are plenty of streamers saying whatever they want about the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting flashbacks to the AVGN Friday the 13th episode where he couldn't talk shit about the game because Jason was behind the couch lol.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is complete misinformation and the fact that there a bunch of low tier, half-assed gaming outlets running with it is a fucking joke.

This contract is only applicable if you signed up to their creator partner program, not just from signing up to play the alpha.

Imagine willingly signing up to be a content partner for a game and then complaining that you can't just spend all your videos bitching about it.

I asked a couple of streamers I'm friends with on Discord and they both said that they've never seen this clause before. Seagull in the OP has been in the game long enough and has played a ton of early access streams as well. This isn't coming from nowhere.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt this kind of agreement can have any legal consequence so I figured this is the implication anytime streamers are given keys or early access. The PR people don't even have to grapple with the pretense of """objective""" press coverage like with reviewers.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
I asked a couple of streamers I'm friends with on Discord and they both said that they've never seen this clause before. Seagull in the OP has been in the game long enough and has played a ton of early access streams as well. This isn't coming from nowhere.
Ok? Not really relevant is it.

Nexon can put whatever they want into a partner contract, if streamers don't like it they can join the queue of everyone else that wants a key. This is only a controversy because entitled content creators want to have their cake and eat it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok? Not really relevant is it.

Nexon can put whatever they want into a partner contract, if streamers don't like it they can join the queue of everyone else that wants a key. This is only a controversy because entitled content creators want to have their cake and eat it.

Well no, because the one complaining about it isn't agreeing to it, so they're not trying to have it both ways. All Netease have done with this is ensured that you can't trust any streamer saying they're enjoying it, so well played by them I guess and good for Seagull calling it out and not just getting the viewers.

Best thing to ever come out of HyperScape was the streamer blitz and the usual shills not sure what to say and trying to stay positive to make sure they get deals in the future, then the ons that were paid and still going "Holy shit this is bad". Great couple of days.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't think this is that normal for an Alpha... What's normal for an Alpha is a full NDA, ie you don't talk positively or negatively about the product, you just don't talk about it publicly at all since it's in the early stages.

If you're allowing only positive things, that doesn't sound much like an alpha at all, more like some kind of press event to drum up interest in the game.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
f4c17259-66c9-4c8c-b9ff-53f00fcaeaf9_text.gif

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
if you're expecting influencers to be fully honest about games they're playing for compensated promotions (either money or key giveaways)...lol, ok. Games media was never exactly harshly critical with preview coverage to begin with. But now if corporations can't find somone who will play ball there are countless desperate streamers waiting behind them who will be happy to.

At any rate doesn't seem to make any sense regardless. The alpha has no NDA and they are giving out keys to anyone who wins a random draw, plus friend invites.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
if you're expecting influencers to be fully honest about games they're playing for compensated promotions (either money or key giveaways)...lol, ok. Games media was never exactly harshly critical with preview coverage to begin with. But now if corporations can't find somone who will play ball there are countless desperate streamers waiting behind them who will be happy to.

At any rate doesn't seem to make any sense regardless. The alpha has no NDA and they are giving out keys to anyone who wins a random draw, plus friend invites.
Yeh really strange. 30k people got codes to play on top of the many others getting codes daily through the game. And the game is really good! Why they felt the need to do this is strange.

Nyaghoggua

Apr 3, 2024
If you want to have a non-disparagement clause, pay up with a sponsorship. If it's sponsored it requires disclosure so viewers know. Doesn't excuse it by any means, I wish everyone with an audience would get keys to everything with no strings attached, no risk of being blacklisted, but this in particular is lame.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
This is normal in sponsored content. Streamers were given a key and signed a contract to the effect EA does this very thing too.

Nov 3, 2017
Tommy Showbiz I honestly think you should show the whole tweet, because holy shit:

I was doing Jay and Sadot's podcast. This tweet started blowing up. Having already seen this contract, I told Jay to leave the call, because I knew he had signed it since he did a code giveaway, and it forbids him from "engaging in discussions" of a critical nature. Sadot had not yet signed anything, like many creators in the program.

Sadot and I talked about the tweet and contract. We both agreed, the game is great, but some of the decisions being made around it are worrying. Jay comes back in, just in time to see that Sadot had been removed from the creator program in real time. Then, inexplicably, Jay was removed as well.

The thing that I'm finding shocking about all of this is that these decisions are so short-sighted. Even after getting banned, Jay was happy to say that he loves the game. That's who you want to punish? He wasn't even there for that conversation. Nothing but nice things to say about Marvel Rivals. I don't understand what you gain from that. Who made that call?

Let Jay back in. Ban me from the game if that's what it takes. Call it an equivalent exchange. He did nothing wrong. I love the game and I want it to succeed. It'll be better off with him than without him.