• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
She was president of physical and postproduction, visual effects and animation production, which sure seems like it's been the weakest part of the MCU for a bit

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
She was one of the people who changed their minds so often that it drove VFX artists crazy.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm, cleaning house are we? I hope this doesn't affect their animation efforts though.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She was president of physical and postproduction, visual effects and animation production, which sure seems like it's been the weakest part of the MCU for a bit

Yeah. Marvel's had a wildly high amount of consistency at the top of their movie arm but things have seemed pretty rough for people working on their VFX and animation.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
She was number 3 over there behind Kevin Feige and Louis D'esposito. She started out as VP of visual effects and was apparently hell for VFX workers. Her wife played the Madripoor crime boss in Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware that she had such a negative relationship with VFX crews.

Even if she was, at least she helped to push for more LGBTQ representation, and I hope Marvel pushes to improve in that area.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She's been one of the faces of the studio pretty much as long as it's existed, so yeah that's gonna be a big change, regardless of why exactly she's leaving.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Losing such a big voice for LGBTQ+ representation sucks but at this point that ball has started rolling and it's too late to stop it, so hopefully her loss won't be felt in that regard.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think this ad speaks for itself

youtu.be

Marvel Studios Executive Producer Victoria Alonso Surface Pro 4 TV Commercial 2016

Marvel Studios Executive Producer Victoria Alonso Surface Pro 4 Australian TV Commercial 2016.Subscribe to OzLandTV for more Australian TV Commercials!Facebo...
"Guys, new producer note just came in"

Orc7n7G.png

Antoo

May 1, 2019
don't know how to feel about this one way or the other. on one hand, she was a big proponent for diversity and lgbt inclusion. on the other hand, she was cited as the one that vfx artists had the most issues with.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Quantumania should have been a big wake-up call for Marvel, even if it's not technically a bomba.

They need to course correct and it seems from the DIsney+ delays, that's what they're doing.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
She's been one of the faces of the studio pretty much as long as it's existed, so yeah that's gonna be a big change, regardless of why exactly she's leaving.
Probably the biggest change there since Disney reorganized Marvel Studios to answer directly to them and not Marvel. We'll see how this effects things, I wonder who is replacing her.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
After 17 years she might just want to work somewhere else as well.
Few people last that long.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
don't know how to feel about this one way or the other. on one hand, she was a big proponent for diversity and lgbt inclusion. on the other hand, she was cited as the one that vfx artists had the most issues with.
That's why I'm of two minds regarding this.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Could also be that she wanted to move up and they re-upped Feige again but haven't announced it.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah pretty much where I'm at. If it improves both how they handle their VFX and how they treat VFX artists then great but I can't say I'm happy that it came down to this.

Yeah, she's one of Feige's inner circle, and as noted was largely speculated to be Feige's eventual successor whenever that came to pass. A big departure no matter how you slice it.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
heard some stories about her from the vfx people i know (that worked on mcu projects). none of them paint her in a good light (in how she treated vfx artits).

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At least on paper, this sounds like a good thing. From another article I believe:
image0.jpg

I also had a friend who works in VFX and on marvel projects that said she sucked when it came to that area.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of the recent stories about her:

According to various VFX workers who spoke to Vulture, Marvel's steady output and unusually heavy VFX needs have allowed it to become a powerful force within the industry, making or breaking careers based on the whims of executives. The fear of the Marvel blacklist is reportedly common knowledge in the VFX community. "The blacklist is very talked about," said one Georgia-based VFX worker. "I don't know anyone that's seen it for real. But it's a common thing that comes up whenever effects people talk together. 'If you do X, Y, or Z, Marvel will blacklist you and you won't be working for them again." According to that worker, one guaranteed route to the blacklist is leaving a project early -- for any reason.

Victoria Alonso, who serves as President of Physical, Post Production, VFX and Animation for Marvel Studios, was cited by some as the problem. This included a Vancouver-based VFX tech who has vowed never to work for Marvel again. "The main one that everyone's quite scared of is Victoria Alonso," they said. "She is known in the industry as a kingmaker. If she likes you, you are going to get work and move up in the industry. If you have pissed her off in any way, you're going to get frozen out."

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Yeah definitely mixed on this news. Credit where credit is due in helping push for more diversity, particularly in the LGBTQ+ community and will miss that element of hers (and hopefully it's still honored). On the other hand, here's hoping treatment on VFX workers is improved upon; already a bit of a start with reducing the amount of future projects.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
We know Feige himself is a big proponent of added diversity in the MCU so it's not like it'll start trending backwards in that department. It was always Ike Perlmutter who was the biggest adversarial force within the company with regards to diversity

But she absolutely deserves credit for being at the frontline of that push for so long and is part of why the MCU made so much progress so fast after Perlmutter's "ousting"

Ché

Oct 14, 2022
Ontario
Holy shit... this is massive. She was Feige's right-hand person in overseeing projects when he was unavailable. Feige must've been behind this ouster, the knives are out at Disney