ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Fox News bout to eat.

Seriously. Potatohead, Dr. Seuss, and now gay cap. This is going to fuel fox for a week at least.

I cannot wait to see the comicsgaters lose it over this.

Other than the meta entertainment he looks a lot like my boyfriend, minus the flag tattoo, so I'm ALL IN on this!

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
In what world would a rebellious hobo twink have an American flag tattoo? I don't remember the AIDS crisis making the gays all that patriotic.
Yea, given the present day queer youth and general present day acceptance of LGBTQIA+ (some letters not as accepted as others to our shame as a society) that US flag tattoo is more likely to be a Pride flag tattoo than a US flag, but it could be a powerful moment for this younger character to learn about how the US gov't purposefully failed an entire population of people under it's government. It can show that anyone can be Cap and anyone just like Cap can become disillusioned by their own country's actions but ultimately not let that getting in their way with trying make the world better than it presently is.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Yea, given the present day queer youth and general present day acceptance of LGBTQIA+ (some letters not as accepted as others to our shame as a society) that US flag tattoo is more likely to be a Pride flag tattoo than a US flag, but it could be a powerful moment for this younger character to learn about how the US gov't purposefully failed an entire population of people under it's government. It can show that anyone can be Cap and anyone just like Cap can become disillusioned by their own country's actions but ultimately not let that getting in their way with trying make the world better than it presently is.

Putting the Captain America star in front of the Pride flag would have been a serve...

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Why he got the Joestar family birthmark?

Why not?

154a5ddfb220ed1ccaeb687151df56aa.jpg

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh...

My first gut opinion was that, for a gay character that's supposed be "inspired by the heroes of the Queer community" and function as a sort of representation for all of us...they sure did give him a very specific design.

I'm not interested, but I'm not going to scoff at more Queer representation. Good for them.

Yeah agreed, looks too stereotypey with the whole alternative look which is overused.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't know Jan Bazaldua came out as trans. Rad.
That actually got me pretty exited actually, like I said though I just hope it's a decent story and if so the character gets more appearances ( I read most the new books when they hit unlimited and the 616 could use a plate cleanser, especially once this stupid King in Black crossover ends).

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Eternals completely bombs in that regard (which it most likely will but I'm really hoping Zhao having so much control makes it different) we still have the twins.

At this point, I highly doubt Eternals completely blows it in that regard. I'm skeptical, but this feels like the moment Feige absolutely has to deliver on that.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope Eternals gives us all faith that Marvel Studios will actually adapt queer characters.
I highly doubt it. The actor Brian Tyree Henry isn't gay but the actor who plays his husband is. The negative part of me just assumes the husband's role will be minor enough that it can be edited out in certain countries, and that Brian not being gay himself means he can do the talk show and red carpet circuit in those countries.

I highly doubt they're going to tempt a market like China who has like a 30 or whatever max of foreign movies per year. Marvel going to play it safe for that market IMO. The only way it works in those markets is if it's subtle. Googling around says China won't allow movies unless indie to have themes of LGBT+.

I would expect Marvel to finally embrace and milk the LGBT crowd when other markets are more open to it. Until then? I suspect a lot of Twitter moments like where the directors of Endgame hype up their LGBT moment but it's a straight dude director telling Cap about some date he had that didn't even last as long as when you read his tweet.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, given the present day queer youth and general present day acceptance of (some letters not as accepted as others to our shame as a society) that US flag tattoo is more likely to be a Pride flag tattoo than a US flag, but it could be a powerful moment for this younger character to learn about how the US gov't purposefully failed an entire population of people under it's government. It can show that anyone can be Cap and anyone just like Cap can become disillusioned by their own country's actions but ultimately not let that getting in their way with trying make the world better than it presently is.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about queer youth being pro America coming off of 4 years of Trump and red states trying to do things like ban trans kids from women's sports. I know that patriotism is the last sentiment my son would ever express. I'll have to show him that cover and see what he has to say. It should be entertaining. At the very least this strikes me as rather tone deaf given how many Americans just voted for Trump.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Disney Execs: "He should look gay, but not TOO gay, but gay enough to let them know that he is proud and expressive of his gayness and is a relatable gay hero to the gay community."

Artist: "So you want a "straight friendly" gay design?"

Disney Execs: "..... Yeah more or less"
Don't forget to make it a white guy

I mean cool but also it's the bare ass minimum

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
He looking like someone that would DM death threat to women :/
really dislike the design choice for what sound like important representation here.

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
I'm here for more gay representation but his design is a damn mess. Especially that hair. Sigh.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the tattoos and the hair but the costume looks awful. If Marvel were serious about representation, he would have Steve Rogers' costume but with elements that remind you that he's part of the LGBTQIA+ community (pride flag somewhere I don't know). It's also a bit pandering as well from Marvel and the character is far from authentic.

I guess having him be another soldier from WWII thawed out in modern day times and also being gay was a bridge too far for Marvel. There's so much Marvel could tell about that and how times have changed since then.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Grats to them for introducing a character for PR purposes that they will NEVER do anything meaningful with.

Also shit design.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think the design is okay, I think its the artstyle not doing the design justice at all.

Happy for more queer characters but he's going to disappear very quickky

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah agreed, looks too stereotypey with the whole alternative look which is overused.
I think that's it for me.

I mean, usually, I'm excited for specific and graphic characters that drip with personality that's unique to them. But for a Queer character with the description and intent this iteration of Captain America has been given...I probably would have gone with a more non-descript design, with Queer flourishes that invited Queer peoples of wide perspectives and definitions to project themselves onto him.

As it stands now, I see a character that I'm being told is pulling from all of us...but he looks like a specific type. I don't see any part of me in this character, at all...and I'm queer as all living hell.

(Although, I'm willing to admit that all we have to go one right now is character design. This says nothing for writing and characterization within the plot.)

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
You say gay Captain America and you get my attention... would be massive for me as a gay marvel fan.

After seeing the design and brief character background... well, we'll have to see. I hope it feels genuine and interesting and isn't just a disposable character.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The American flag tattoo works if it's because he's a huge Cap fan. Cap has always been somewhat subversive in his patriotism--he's devoted to the people and ideals, not the government. If the government asks him to do some sketch shit, Cap has several times instead done what he thought was best.

That kind of character can be an inspiration.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not so sure about queer youth being pro America coming off of 4 years of Trump and red states trying to do things like ban trans kids from women's sports. I know that patriotism is the last sentiment my son would ever express. I'll have to show him that cover and see what he has to say. It should be entertaining. At the very least this strikes me as rather tone deaf given how many Americans just voted for Trump.
Captain America isn't really about being pro America despite the name. Cap is constantly disillusioned because America fails to live up to his expectations or fighting corruption. Like when Sam was Captain America in the comics the main thing was about people not wanting a black Captain America, and this kid's thing is being a hero to runaways and other homeless people.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Captain America isn't really about being pro America despite the name. Cap is constantly disillusioned because America fails to live up to his expectations or fighting corruption. Like when Sam was Captain America in the comics the main thing was about people not wanting a black Captain America, and this kid's thing is being a hero to runaways and other homeless people.

He is depicted with an american flag tattoo in post 15. Come on.

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
Not digging the haircut or the piercings. Makes it look like the artists tried too hard. And of course they make the first gay Captain America a white guy. 🙄

What about a lesbian Japanese American girl or something that represents what America is actually supose to be about?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
He is depicted with an american flag tattoo in post 15. Come on.
Yeah, and Captain America wears stars and stripes, but he constantly questions the country and going against the government. I'm saying being Captain America doesn't mean the person wearing the suit blindly loves the way the country is and everything it does. It's the opposite.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Another one for the mountain of teen characters that Marvel has, most of which they have done nothing with since their inception.

I would think gay people would want the character to stick around and do things. If this character gets mileage beyond a PR grab for Marvel, then cool.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Just looks cliched and uninspired for the sake of a few bucks to me.
Is it? I was expecting a loud pink outfit and a rainbow shield or something before I clicked the thread.
Not digging the haircut or the piercings. Makes it look like the artists tried too hard. And of course they make the first gay Captain America a white guy. 🙄

What about a lesbian Japanese American girl or something that represents what America is actually supose to be about?
That would be good, but it would be too easy to swallow. Straight guys just loooove lesbians, and they can't handle the existence of gay men at all.
Another one for the mountain of teen characters that Marvel has, most of which they have done nothing with since their inception.

I would think gay people would want the character to stick around and do things. If this character gets mileage beyond a PR grab for Marvel, then cool.
"Have this guy, but only during pride month" would be pretty sad.