• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 90-100

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 173 26.2%
  • 75-79

Votes: 306 46.3%
  • 70-74

Votes: 126 19.1%
  • 65-69

Votes: 18 2.7%
  • under 65

Votes: 7 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Didn't really expect much more. Mid 70's. Many 6/7's and a few 8's. A few patches can help sure of performance issues and the amount of content is still pretty good.

The story seems fine, the gameplay seems fine for those that like the beat-em-up diablo-eque style. I am one that doesn't mind mindlessly mowing through mobs with the occasional 'elite' thrown in so will pick this up later today..

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's actually reviewing higher than I would have expected after playing it for a few hours.

It's not bad but I'm personally not enjoying it much either.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I was way off on my 80-84 prediction. I still hope to play this game 1 day if it ever goes on sale.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Well yeah, but I'm sure he meant it like how I explained it.
But yes , technically he/she is wrong

I wasn't being pedantic, he said he'd buy the game if on a sale but he was sure it'd never happen because Nintendo. Now HHH will be able to do what he wanted to: get the game down the line, because like every other Nintendo's Switch games, MUA3 is going to have a sale. I don't see how your interpretation makes any sense honestly, why you'd be pretty sure even
(now I'm being pedantic)

Anyway, I'd hoped the game was going to be better, meaningless loot (no real cosmetics/no costumes, really?!) basic combat and level design were what I was worried about since the first gameplay reveal but folks were saying it was on simple arenas and looking easy and basic with brainless AI on purpose to show the game for the 1st time. I guess I'll wait until it hits €35 physical. I'm 95% digital on Switch but if the game has no real postgame then I don't need it always available and I could even sell it later.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After playing a bunch of the game, I completely agree with the review scores. If you aren't a Marvel fan, it's definitely not a game I'd recommend.

I'm a huge Marvel fan though, so for me the amount of fanservice in the game definitely cares it. One of the most fun games I've played this year.

Deleted member 12447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After playing a bunch of the game, I completely agree with the review scores. If you aren't a Marvel fan, it's definitely not a game I'd recommend.

I'm a huge Marvel fan though, so for me the amount of fanservice in the game definitely cares it. One of the most fun games I've played this year.

Really? I been thinking 74 is a few points lower than I'd expect it after playing quite a bit.

Two areas reviewers keep slamming are "bland environments" and "one button combat" but this game has one of the coolest backdrops I've seen in years in a game, and the combat isn't 1 button. Some of the boss fights are cool, and the stun mechanic requires a little thought.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really? I been thinking 74 is a few points lower than I'd expect it after playing quite a bit.

Two areas reviewers keep slamming are "bland environments" and "one button combat" but this game has one of the coolest backdrops I've seen in years in a game, and the combat isn't 1 button. Some of the boss fights are cool, and the stun mechanic requires a little thought.

My biggest complaints so far are:

-Difficult Spikes
-Linear Path
-Only the Characters in your party level
-Way too many attacks that knock your character down.

Review scores are always subjective obviously, and while I'm enjoying it, I certainly recognize the flaws. And for anyone who doesn't like Marvel characters, the score is probably 10 points lower.

That being said, if we are only talking about fun factor/enjoy ability, it's near a 90 or 95 for me. There's been tons of games I've played throughout the years that I recognize the quality of, but they simply aren't for me. A recent example is Resident Evil 7. It's probably the greatest VR game ever made, but it's way way way too scary for me. I'm also a huge Dynasty Warriors/musou fan and will play all those games and love them, but at the same time I recognize there's a lot of room for improvement.

I'm able to craft a team that's 3 of my favorite Marvel heroes growing up (Venom, Wolverine, Nightcrawler). Why isn't it 4 of my favorite heroes? Because I need someone who can stagger bosses well.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest complaints so far are:

-Difficult Spikes
-Linear Path
-Only the Characters in your party level
-Way too many attacks that knock your character down.

Review scores are always subjective obviously, and while I'm enjoying it, I certainly recognize the flaws. And for anyone who doesn't like Marvel characters, the score is probably 10 points lower.

That being said, if we are only talking about fun factor/enjoy ability, it's near a 90 or 95 for me. There's been tons of games I've played throughout the years that I recognize the quality of, but they simply aren't for me. A recent example is Resident Evil 7. It's probably the greatest VR game ever made, but it's way way way too scary for me. I'm also a huge Dynasty Warriors/musou fan and will play all those games and love them, but at the same time I recognize there's a lot of room for improvement.

I'm able to craft a team that's 3 of my favorite Marvel heroes growing up (Venom, Wolverine, Nightcrawler). Why isn't it 4 of my favorite heroes? Because I need someone who can stagger bosses well.

Are you kidding me about the leveling thing? UGH that's literally the worst thing in ANY game.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you kidding me about the leveling thing? UGH that's literally the worst thing in ANY game.

Yeah it's frustrating. I'm playing on the normal difficulty and even just sticking with the same 4 teammates, I'm having trouble keeping them "leveled". I can't imagine what would happen if you keep swapping around. Would have been much better to have shared XP.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I agree with the review that it feels like a last-gen game but that makes it par with the rest of the Switch library, tbh

It's not great. But it's portable Marvel Diablo lite. So it's good enough I guess

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IGN Spain (7.7/10), review in spanish, google translation:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is a great crossover of almost all Marvel properties that will entertain the fans of La Casa de las Ideas with its continuous in crescendo of enemies and characters, and that offers a great variety of situations, especially in relation to the bosses. However, it lacks in depth of the combat system, making us more interested in what each character does, than in learning to use them ... Because there is not much to learn in this sense. A pity, since with something more depth in this sense they would have had a much more round game.

SpazioGames (7.9/10), review in italian, google translation:
Marvel The Great Alliance 3 is a hack 'n' slash in part conservative and old school, but the hand of Team Ninja builds a title with some news and more fresh ideas, like a construction of levels and boss fight that are never trivial . A solid title, with lots of content, between the Infinity challenges and the inevitable new game plus. One of those multiplayer sofa titles that work and do what they need, not just focused on the fanservice (and there's a lot for True Believers), which are increasingly rarely seen on the market. It's a pity for some stumbling blocks on the technical side, in particular for a camera that in four players is struggling to keep up, and a balance of difficulty not always on the piece.

Areajugones (7.8/10), review in spanish, google translation:
We are not facing the masterpiece of Nintendo for Switch this summer (that place may be occupied by Fire Emblem: Three Houses or Astral Chain), but with a fun and lightweight proposal that allows us to enjoy cooperatively an adventure full of fanservice. There are obvious camera problems and the story is not exactly long, so replay is what allows players to stay glued to the screen for weeks.

4Players.de (75/100), review in german, google translation:
Ten years after the official final excursion of the superheroes (the 2016 HD remake is omitted), Ultimate Alliance is back in Part 3. Not much has changed on the surface: like Raven Software and Vicarious Visions in front of them, Tecmo Koei's Team Ninja is relying on freely selectable teams of four to compete in effusive battles against the rival armies of the vile Marvel villains. But the last few appearances were still identifiable as action role-playing games, Ultimate Alliance 3 is a super-hero version of relevant brawlers such as Final Fight or Streets of Rage. As such, the concept works well, is driven by a passable, albeit rarely surprising story and offers plenty of room for experimentation with over 30 characters. The fact that you can beat up the evil with up to four players in the couch co-op is a nice bonus and of course reduces the frustration that can arise when the partner AI in inappropriate boss fight moments stops any reactions and in case of doubt KO can beat instead of avoiding the announced attacks. It is also a shame that despite destructible elements, the environment remains largely sterile and ultimately serves only as a lock to the next battle arena, instead of providing exploratory stimuli or adding fresh aspects to the story. In addition, disturbing details such as not even rudimentary mitlevelnde figures on the bench, occasionally stubborn camera work and especially in mobile operation frame rate burglaries, when enemy waves and floods of effects meet. Nevertheless: Especially with several players you can experience about 14 to 18 hours of uncomplicated superhero entertainment.

COGconnected (85/100):
All nitpicks aside, there's a clarity of purpose in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Along with the recent Spider-Man game, it really feels like a return to form for the entire universe of Marvel games. After years with nothing but Lego games, mobile games, and crappy movie tie-ins, a passionate team of developers has been given the chance to play with these toys. Their method of play is grabbing fistfuls of action figures and smashing them together, but that's a time honored way to play superhero.
 In all seriousness, this is a sleek, modern, beat-em-up that would be fun to play with or without the recognizable cast of characters. It's charming in its stupidity, and the fact that its such a lovingly put together superhero romp makes that feel even better. While not perfect by any means, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is the Marvel game fans have been waiting years to play. Was it worth the wait? I'd say so. But the feeling I'm left with is that I want another. And another. We get two or three good Marvel movies a year; it's made me greedy. This game will make you long to play a dozen more.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
This game is a perfect 7/10 for me so far. Really enjoying it as a beat 'em up with Marvel flavouring. My only regret is that they revealed so much of the roster prelaunch.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This game is a perfect 7/10 for me so far. Really enjoying it as a beat 'em up with Marvel flavouring. My only regret is that they revealed so much of the roster prelaunch.

This is my thoughts too. I expected 7 to 7.5 game and it's more than delivering. Playing with my 7 year old daughter was amazing last night. It made me understand why they have characters constantly talking as she was totally in character and talking back to them. It was very charming.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Have you guys seem commercials/promos of any kind for this game in your city/Country/TV?

Here in Italy and Spain I keep seeing Mario Maker 2, Mario Kart and Switch's play anywhere tv spots and that's it.