• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

A6502

Jan 22, 2018
Will season 7 be watchable via a standard hulu subscription, anyone know? That's how I've watched it the last 2 seasons but I'm getting a message I need the live TV sub to access it now. But is that message because it is too soon? I see the past seasons aren't on Hulu either anymore.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Will season 7 be watchable via a standard hulu subscription, anyone know? That's how I've watched it the last 2 seasons but I'm getting a message I need the live TV sub to access it now. But is that message because it is too soon? I see the past seasons aren't on Hulu either anymore.

yes. You'll have to wait a day per usual.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So yeah, S3 had problems that are very pronounced during a marathon because of how amazing the seasons before and after are.

- While the resulting two episodes from her death were awesome, introducing Rosalind just to kill her off sucks. I fully support "Philinda" as the endgame but the chemistry between Coulson and Ros was absolutely fantastic and they should have played that out longer. She should have remained at least throughout all of S3. Instead, they played into the trope of killing off a woman to push the man's story forward.

- That in itself isn't always bad if it's done right. But they literally introduced her just to kill her off after a few episodes. They did it far too soon. And they did that twice in S3. They only reason they introduced Gideon Malick's daughter was to immediately kill her off so that he would turn against Hive and Hydra. This whole thing stands out even more because through the entire series, AoS plays against tropes and expectations.

- And while not redeeming Ward was part of going against tropes, I personally would have liked to have seen them continue down the "independent contractor" idea that they teased at the end of S2 before revealing he was just playing nice to get Bobbi kidnapped for Agent 33. There was absolutely no coming back after what he did in the S2 finale, let alone killing Ros, so there was really no other option for the writers than to kill him off at that point.

- ... And the problem there is that the writers also recognize how much Brett Dalton brought to the show, which is why they found a way to keep him in it as Hive. But the Hive stuff honestly made Brett's exit from the show kind of anti-climactic. They killed off Ward only to have Brett play a brand new character for a few episodes, only to then kill that character too. Thankfully, I think the AoS writers recognized this as well, which is why they brought him back for the Framework arc, which was a brilliant and fitting end to Ward's character. It "redeemed" him without actually redeeming him, as it allowed us to see what that version of Ward could have been like.

- The Hive stuff in general just didn't work for me, from the awkward way that every character referred to him as "it" over and over again to the "turn humans into Inhumans" plan and the weird butthole-faced Primitives.

This obviously sounds overly negative but I still think it's a very good season of comic book television. But as it came off of the amazing second season, the flaws stood out more.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good thoughts ZeoVGM. I remember also really liking Rosalind and was disappointed when she was basically fridged.

As for Brett Dalton, I'm so surprised dude didn't blow up more after AoS. If I remember correctly, he's just doing Hallmark movies. I know Chloe is doing good and Iain had Overlord. I'm hoping the AoS cast does well for themselves after this season and COVID clears up.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Good thoughts ZeoVGM. I remember also really liking Rosalind and was disappointed when she was basically fridged.

As for Brett Dalton, I'm so surprised dude didn't blow up more after AoS. If I remember correctly, he's just doing Hallmark movies. I know Chloe is doing good and Iain had Overlord. I'm hoping the AoS cast does well for themselves after this season and COVID clears up.

It's more noticeable given that they stopped filming the series almost a full year ago, meaning the cast was more than free to audition for pilots of films even before that.

Of the cast that stayed until the end, it looks like only Elizabeth Henstridge has signed on to something ongoing, an Apple+ series called Suspicion.

The whole cast deserves to move on to big things. (Though I'll keep hoping it ends up being something else in the MCU eventually.)

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yo-Yo: "Someone needs to make Radcliffe watch all of the Terminator movies."

Mack: "Even Salvation?"

Yo-Yo: "He brought this on himself."

lmao this show

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

So yeah, S3 had problems that are very pronounced during a marathon because of how amazing the seasons before and after are.

- While the resulting two episodes from her death were awesome, introducing Rosalind just to kill her off sucks. I fully support "Philinda" as the endgame but the chemistry between Coulson and Ros was absolutely fantastic and they should have played that out longer. She should have remained at least throughout all of S3. Instead, they played into the trope of killing off a woman to push the man's story forward.

- That in itself isn't always bad if it's done right. But they literally introduced her just to kill her off after a few episodes. They did it far too soon. And they did that twice in S3. They only reason they introduced Gideon Malick's daughter was to immediately kill her off so that he would turn against Hive and Hydra. This whole thing stands out even more because through the entire series, AoS plays against tropes and expectations.

- And while not redeeming Ward was part of going against tropes, I personally would have liked to have seen them continue down the "independent contractor" idea that they teased at the end of S2 before revealing he was just playing nice to get Bobbi kidnapped for Agent 33. There was absolutely no coming back after what he did in the S2 finale, let alone killing Ros, so there was really no other option for the writers than to kill him off at that point.

- ... And the problem there is that the writers also recognize how much Brett Dalton brought to the show, which is why they found a way to keep him in it as Hive. But the Hive stuff honestly made Brett's exit from the show kind of anti-climactic. They killed off Ward only to have Brett play a brand new character for a few episodes, only to then kill that character too. Thankfully, I think the AoS writers recognized this as well, which is why they brought him back for the Framework arc, which was a brilliant and fitting end to Ward's character. It "redeemed" him without actually redeeming him, as it allowed us to see what that version of Ward could have been like.

- The Hive stuff in general just didn't work for me, from the awkward way that every character referred to him as "it" over and over again to the "turn humans into Inhumans" plan and the weird butthole-faced Primitives.

This obviously sounds overly negative but I still think it's a very good season of comic book television. But as it came off of the amazing second season, the flaws stood out more.
Ward lost redemption capabilties after burning down a house with his brother and parents. Long before Bobbi. Independent contractor is a nice idea, but he was a smarmy evil dick long before that happened.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
That's valid.

(Though I also didn't feel too bad in that case given that they were legitimately evil abusers.)
Who lived alone doing nothing to no one for years after everyone left. And also we learn from Thomas that Ward was also just as shitty when they were kids. You know, teen arson and abused his little brother.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man watching these little recaps on Twitter really shows the SHIELD team has been through some shit lol

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Who lived alone doing nothing to no one for years after everyone left. And also we learn from Thomas that Ward was also just as shitty when they were kids. You know, teen arson and abused his little brother.

You're misremembering it a little. Thomas said that Ward was his best friend and tried to protect him from their parents. It wasn't until Christian forced Ward to put him in the well that he changed. Thomas said he was never the same after that. It's implied that the well was the only time he abused Thomas but Thomas considers him worse than their parents because he burned them alive, even though they were abusers at one point.

Doesn't absolve him for the awful things he did but we know from Thomas that Ward wasn't just as shitty when they were kids. It wasn't until Christian forced him to abuse Thomas that he changed.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Mace was an awesome character. Super likable, charismatic and legitimately a good person.

I remember reading that the actor only wanted to do a one season stint (though I could be wrong) but he would have been fun on the show going forward too.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
You're misremembering it a little. Thomas said that Ward was his best friend and tried to protect him from their parents. It wasn't until Christian forced Ward to put him in the well that he changed. Thomas said he was never the same after that. It's implied that the well was the only time he abused Thomas but Thomas considers him worse than their parents because he burned them alive, even though they were abusers at one point.

Doesn't absolve him for the awful things he did but we know from Thomas that Ward wasn't just as shitty when they were kids. It wasn't until Christian forced him to abuse Thomas that he changed.
Thomas also says Grant used him as an excuse, not unlike what Christian said.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mace was an awesome character. Super likable, charismatic and legitimately a good person.

I remember reading that the actor only wanted to do a one season stint (though I could be wrong) but he would have been fun on the show going forward too.

Oh is that why he died so early? I almost didn't believe it when he died. Dude was fantastic.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Oh is that why he died so early? I almost didn't believe it when he died. Dude was fantastic.

I might have misremembered that but I could have sworn I read it back then. Not finding the interview though.

Edit: Yeah, I'm going to take that back. Not finding that at all and I'm reading an interview where he was surprised about the death.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finally getting around to marathoning S6 in prep for S7. Man, "Inescapable" was such a good episode.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
My thoughts on the S4 finale are the same as when it first aired: the only "low" point in the best season of the show, if not the best season of a comic book series ever. The pacing in the finale is off and it feels rushed.

- The final "fight" between Rider Coulson and Aida was a bit weird and anti-climactic.
- The Talbot stuff was strange. They cut to commercial with him literally being shot in the head and then come back from commercial with, "There's a pulse." If they just had LMD Daisy shoot him in the chest a couple times, it still would have been a shocking moment but him surviving wouldn't have been nearly as jarring.
- Where the hell did the Simmons LMD come from?

With everything they needed to wrap up (the Framework, Aida, the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D. again, Ghost Rider), it definitely should have been a two-part finale like they did in S2 and S3.

Still some great stuff in it, mainly with Mack and Yo-Yo, but it was an awkward cap to a season where every single episode was amazing.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The actor who plays Kasius is great. A wonderfully creepy character.

I know reaction to the first half of S5 was mixed but the writers need to be given credit for taking big swings. This arc is insane and no one would have been able to predict it in S1. They take chances and that's great.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
"Orientation (Parts 1&2)"is one of my favorite episodes in the series (part one especially) and Flint is a gem.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts on the S4 finale are the same as when it first aired: the only "low" point in the best season of the show, if not the best season of a comic book series ever. The pacing in the finale is off and it feels rushed.

- The final "fight" between Rider Coulson and Aida was a bit weird and anti-climactic.
- The Talbot stuff was strange. They cut to commercial with him literally being shot in the head and then come back from commercial with, "There's a pulse." If they just had LMD Daisy shoot him in the chest a couple times, it still would have been a shocking moment but him surviving wouldn't have been nearly as jarring.
- Where the hell did the Simmons LMD come from?

With everything they needed to wrap up (the Framework, Aida, the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D. again, Ghost Rider), it definitely should have been a two-part finale like they did in S2 and S3.

Still some great stuff in it, mainly with Mack and Yo-Yo, but it was an awkward cap to a season where every single episode was amazing.

agree on it feeling rushed which was disappointing considering how significant Aida was.

agree on the Simmons-bot too, but at some point you have to switch that part of your Brain off, as they can clearly make perfect robots in seconds from the factory that doesn't exist even though it took Radcliffe years to make the first one.

i guess making the bots is dumb but 'whatever' - but when did they scan her brain?

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Between the 100th episode and the Fitz split personality meltdown, this is one of the strongest patches in the series.

Second half of S5 is right up there with S4.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
agree on it feeling rushed which was disappointing considering how significant Aida was.

agree on the Simmons-bot too, but at some point you have to switch that part of your Brain off, as they can clearly make perfect robots in seconds from the factory that doesn't exist even though it took Radcliffe years to make the first one.

i guess making the bots is dumb but 'whatever' - but when did they scan her brain?
They probably scanned Jemma right then and there. The Jemma bot has always bothered me. Then again we see in S6 that they managed to build another one, only this time it's with Coulson and with tech they know nothing about, at a moment's notice so...

Also the final fight with AIDA isn't so rushed when you consider how many prior encounters she's had with them. And with the Ghost Rider. They finally caught her. It'd be exhausting to have an actual fight with her after all that. Playing this cat and mouse game and finally after all this time they have her.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They probably scanned Jemma right then and there. The Jemma bot has always bothered me. Then again we see in S6 that they managed to build another one, only this time it's with Coulson and with tech they know nothing about, at a moment's notice so...

Also the final fight with AIDA isn't so rushed when you consider how many prior encounters she's had with them. And with the Ghost Rider. They finally caught her. It'd be exhausting to have an actual fight with her after all that. Playing this cat and mouse game and finally after all this time they have her.

I always took Simmons' " We had time" to foreshadow that she and Fitz, along with whoever is along for the ride before they saved the crew at the temple, had been time traveling and doing stuff for a while. I even got the slight feeling that she might already be an LMD or that her coldness suggests some kind of distancing due to how long she has been away doing other stuff. After all Enoch said whatever they were going to do was going to change the natural course of their lives. Maybe they are now not human.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I always took Simmons' " We had time" to foreshadow that she and Fitz, along with whoever is along for the ride before they saved the crew at the temple, had been time traveling and doing stuff for a while. I even got the slight feeling that she might already be an LMD or that her coldness suggests some kind of distancing due to how long she has been away doing other stuff. After all Enoch said whatever they were going to do was going to change the natural course of their lives. Maybe they are now not human.
Oh yeah.

Jesus christ how do I forget about so many things.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
where is this watchable on streaming? May have to try my VPN as E4 in the UK aren't mentioning a date yet

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The cast is having a Zoom party right now, with Chloe and Jeff's Q&A too. Wish I could watch it.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Aaand it's that time of the year again :D... for the last time :(

However, the new season still hasn't shown up on Amazon in Germany (which is where all the other seasons in OV are). I hope it does get added in a few hours, I vaguely remember season 6 being added pretty last minute too.

You'd think Disney + would have them, but they only have the first 3 seasons here in Germany. Now since there is no German dub for all the seasons yet, you'd think it logical, but there is one up to season 5 so far, and it's on Amazon too, so it really doesn't make much sense.

Alas, I don't care much as long as someone takes my money so I can watch season 7 tomorrow and not in 5 years.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They have a specific musical theme in S5 for when FItz, Simmons and Yo-Yo are on their "we can't die" rebellion and it's fucking great.