Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Not liking Kamala as a character is fine. It's a preference. Critiquing the game for introducing a previously unknown character is insane. How are you supposed to learn about any new characters in anything ever? I think the game did a fine job of setting her up. MCU movies have introduced characters with far less.

Oct 26, 2017
They should have had some more non-2012 Avengers in the core roster so that Kamala isn't immediately the odd one out. Like, focus the story on her but also have some other prominent character (like T'Challa and Carol instead of Cap and Nat).

Or, you know, make a good game to begin with.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I loved their TLoU2 review, thought it was really well written and edited. But then I don't get why they're so put off by Kamala. She's a very classic story device in that she's us. This isn't the same world as the MCU and we're introduced to it through the eyes of Kamala. From the first moment you start the game that much is obvious.

And having Kamala be the player's introduction gives space to the other heroes. And that in turn allows for probably some of the best parts of the campaign which are these character introduction missions. And all that culminates into a wonderful final encounter where Kamala provides the cherry on top character growth wise.

Like I can imagine criticizing this part of it was badly done. But they nailed Kamala, from a character standpoint and as a story device. There's so much to criticize about this game, going after Kamala just seems weird.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
That's their "shtick" but aren't all these written by the boyfriend who is the one that is quite knowledgeable about games and just writes this sort of "girlfriend script"? Or has that changed with their later videos?

No. They've been over this before - Shelby has (is) a stream of consciousness during the play of a game (regardless of who is actually playing), notes are made, Mat and Shelby then condense those notes and ideas into something suitable for actually reading out for a voice-over. A good stylistic difference of whose viewpoint is in the voice-overs can be especially seen in the review for Animal Crossing and the intro to the Avengers review - it's very much done from the pov of Mat, who has a much deeper dive into the subject matter, or is entirely about how he raged that Shelby got a fish and didn't give it to him.

Do they influence each other? Oh, yes. That's impossible to avoid, though you can still tell that Shelby isn't really all that interested in engaging past the "I enjoy playing this game" part unless it evokes emotions, such as well, with Animal Crossing or with the Last of Us 2 reviews.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Particularly when she made it a "point" that she isn't familiar with any of them to begin with (supposedly) even though we've all been pretty bombarded with Marvel stuff for the past 12 years. Either it's a hollow fib or she managed media escape for popular things beyond even my capabilities.
It is a comedy video series, it was just a way they could fit in a joke to indicate that Shelby isn't a very big Marvel movies fan unlike Matt.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Once the majority of the bugs are ironed out (and there's a sale) I'll probably get Avengers.

I like the Marvel stuff enough and the action seems fun enough (in a brainless sort of way) that I can see myself enjoying it overall, especially once more characters and story content come out (assuming the missions aren't just more "stand in this square" or "beat up this glowy wall thing").
I'd maybe consider playing it if it was free
Happened with Destiny 2, I wouldn't be hugely surprised if it happens to Avengers eventually.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Not liking Kamala as a character is fine. It's a preference. Critiquing the game for introducing a previously unknown character is insane. How are you supposed to learn about any new characters in anything ever? I think the game did a fine job of setting her up. MCU movies have introduced characters with far less.

It reminds me of people not wanting to play as characters they're not familiar with in Gotham Knights. They want the experience tailored to what they know, even though a lot of fans think those characters are actually the most interesting part.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
So... it's good?
Why is calling something booty bad? Sounds delicious.
7c6.jpg

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I agree with a lot of criticism but Kamala is awesome. Part of me wonder if they didn'"t double dip on the negativity for more monetization which in this day and age is very much possible. Game has a shit ton of bug but for me it speaks volume to how good the core gameplay loop is when it works, I've put in 167 hours so far into it and I don't normally do GaaS all that much.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019

c'mon, now - there's a difference between 'introducing' a previously unknown character, & making that previously unknown character the focal point of the single-player story...

there'd be a helluva lot fewer complaints about kamala if she'd simply been included as one of the avengers, rather than being featured front & center as the story's main protagonist...

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with a lot of criticism but Kamala is awesome. Part of me wonder if they didn'"t double dip on the negativity for more monetization which in this day and age is very much possible. Game has a shit ton of bug but for me it speaks volume to how good the core gameplay loop is when it works, I've put in 167 hours so far into it and I don't normally do GaaS all that much.
You've put 167 hours into the game in 11-14 days?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
c'mon, now - there's a difference between 'introducing' a previously unknown character, & making that previously unknown character the focal point of the single-player story...

there'd be a helluva lot fewer complaints about kamala if she'd simply been included as one of the avengers, rather than being featured front & center as the story's main protagonist...

Her whole story arc in the game is about becoming an Avenger. Changing it so she starts off an Avengers makes zero sense.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Her whole story arc in the game is about becoming an Avenger. Changing it so she starts off an Avengers makes zero sense.

& that's the problem! her story arc being a major focus of the single-player game isn't what a number of people were expecting to get when getting an avengers game. i don't think anyone's saying that it's not valid story arc. it's just not what people who were familiar with iron man & captain america were expecting. there's nothing inherently wrong with it. it just caught many people completely off guard...

the single-player game didn't have to focus on kamala becoming an avenger. hell, she didn't even have to be in the game, period. it's what square & crystal opted to go with, &, like some other aspects of the game, it's obviously resulted in a somewhat mixed reception...

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
A little surprised they didn't enjoy Kamala and seemed to hate this more than anything else they've played.

Didn't see that one coming.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
& that's the problem! her story arc being a major focus of the single-player game isn't what a number of people were expecting to get when getting an avengers game. i don't think anyone's saying that it's not valid story arc. it's just not what people who were familiar with iron man & captain america were expecting. there's nothing inherently wrong with it. it just caught many people completely off guard...

the single-player game didn't have to focus on kamala becoming an avenger. hell, she didn't even have to be in the game, period. it's what square & crystal opted to go with, &, like some other aspects of the game, it's obviously resulted in a somewhat mixed reception...

That's weird to phrase Kamala as a problem when her and her story are one of the most praised things about the game from critics and users alike. Most of the mixed reception is coming from the technical issues and half-baked multiplayer. I'm sure people were caught off-guard with Iron Man in 2008 when his character was essentially a nobody by the mainstream audience. Having a Muslim/Pakistani/PoC character done right and as the main protagonist of billion dollar franchise like the Avengers shouldn't be shrugged off like they're shit like the reviewer did here. "Waaaaaaah why am I playing as this nobody with apparently no redeeming values mentioned when I can be playing Iron Man." The irony is strong.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's weird to phrase Kamala as a problem when her and her story are one of the most praised things about the game from critics and users alike. Most of the mixed reception is coming from the technical issues and half-baked multiplayer. I'm sure people were caught off-guard with Iron Man in 2008 when his character was essentially a nobody by the mainstream audience. Having a Muslim/Pakistani/PoC character done right and as the main protagonist of billion dollar franchise like the Avengers shouldn't be shrugged off like they're shit like the reviewer did here. "Waaaaaaah why am I playing as this nobody with apparently no redeeming values mentioned when I can be playing Iron Man." The irony is strong.
I think the thing is just that Kamala didn't click with them. If they had loved her they wouldn't mind that Iron-man isn't in the spotlight

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019

again, i'm not disagreeing with you, & i, personally, don't have any feelings either way. but this thread's about a review in which the reviewer wasn't really crazy about the kamala storyline, & all i'm saying is, is that this's understandable on the level of this game not being promoted as a ms. marvel game, but as an avengers game...

&, afa as iron man & 2008, that was promoted as an iron man movie. yes, marvel took a risk, & yes, it paid off. but! it wasn't promoted as a spider-man movie, & then turn out to be mostly about iron man. & there's a big difference between the 2...

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I didn't like the main character either. I completely get that. I don't know if I'll go back to the game. Just glad I didn't buy it

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
again, i'm not disagreeing with you, & i, personally, don't have any feelings either way. but this thread's about a review in which the reviewer wasn't really crazy about the kamala storyline, & all i'm saying is, is that this's understandable on the level of this game not being promoted as a ms. marvel game, but as an avengers game...

&, afa as iron man & 2008, that was promoted as an iron man movie. yes, marvel took a risk, & yes, it paid off. but! it wasn't promoted as a spider-man movie, & then turn out to be mostly about iron man. & there's a big difference between the 2...

That's fine but there's a difference between not liking a character and completely dismissing one like Kamala's inclusion here where she's thankfully not playing the often stereotyped Muslim character or even the "evil" Muslim archetype. I think Nerokis phrased better than I did here:
It's not landing on "Kamala is kind of bleh" that stands out. Whatever. It's the dismissiveness, the complete indifference to what it means to spotlight a Pakistani Muslim character in this kind of game, the weirdness of focusing on "we don't know her tho" when 1) a fresh face in a collection of incredibly overexposed faces is one of the few things that makes this game interesting at all and 2) they explicitly said in the video that the Girlfriend doesn't care about Marvel characters anyway.

They're a BIG YouTube channel with lot's of followers and I don't think it's a good look at all.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
That's fine but there's a difference between not liking a character and completely dismissing one like Kamala's inclusion here where she's thankfully not playing the often stereotyped Muslim character or even the "evil" Muslim archetype. I think Nerokis phrased better than I did here:

They're a BIG YouTube channel with lot's of followers and I don't think it's a good look at all.

i've never had any interest in girlfriend reviews, myself. i've always felt that their thing is a shtick, & a sham. so, as regards the point you're making, i wouldn't've really expected a better look...

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I don't know why you are comparing the average reviews score to the the % of people who liked it on Steam. That's like people that say a 68 on RT means the movie got is a 68. 70% of 7k reviews liking a game is good. Overwhelmingly positive isn't that common and the next best thing is Mostly positive. There is no "mixed" classification when you look up the game.

I'm not gonna go back and for anymore with you though because you are arguing that a Mostly Positive score on Steam is not good and that's just not something I'll ever agree with you on.
I know this is petty but now there it is (Mixed at 69% of positives reviews)

Edit Sep 24: now at 67%

Oct 4: 66%

Oct 10: 65%

Nov 16: 64%

Last edited: