Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
When Marvel's Avengers debuted at E3 2019, the designs of the five heroes were met with heavy fan criticism online, with the main complaint being they looked like a pale imitation of the MCU Avengers of which they were clearly based on. Some cited how the Avengers' faces created an "uncanny valley" effect because they look a few degrees off from the actors who played them on screen.

Other elements that were picked on include Captain America's overly bulky riot gear-inspired costume and the clunky discs that make it look like Thor has a sound system mounted on his chest.

IGN spoke with Crystal Dynamics lead creative director Shaun Escayg about the negative response from the community and he was adamant that the designs would not be changed.

"We are always listening to, and welcome feedback from our community. There are currently no plans to change our character designs," Escayg said.

Escayg went on to highlight that while the designs of the characters would not be changed, the game is still in the early stages and will receive more polish before release.

"The trailer is showing pre-alpha gameplay footage, which means the level of detail and overall polish of the character models will absolutely continue to improve as we get closer to launch," Escayg explained.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Awww man, I was hoping that they'd edit the circles on Thor's suit a bit & make Cap's red stripes more prominent.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see/expect them do...I mean...this ISN'T the MCU characters. My only complain is they DID look kinda generic, especially how hush hush and hyped this game is supposed to be and Marvel being all gung go on games quality and all that...I was expecting character facial models similar to DMC5 or Injustice 2/MK11

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Overall I think the designs are fine, they just need some more polish.

Anyone expecting them to be the MCU characters needs to check their expectations.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough if they want to stick to their guns, they shouldn't have to buckle to pressure.

... But those designs are still discount as hell. Cap and Black Widow look awful.

Anyone expecting them to be the MCU characters needs to check their expectations.

I don't think anyone expected that. MUA3 doesn't look like MCU Marvel and they look great.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see/expect them do...I mean...this ISN'T the MCU characters. My only complain is they DID look kinda generic, especially how hush hush and hyped this game is supposed to be and Marvel being all gung go on games quality and all that...I was expecting character facial models similar to DMC5 or Injustice 2/MK11

I hate people defending the designs because "this isn't the MCU". These characters existed for decades before the MCU was even thought of. We're aware. I doubt anyone expected the game to shoot for something similar. I didn't (and I didn't want them to).

They're just shit designs.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with their costumes, I have issue with their anatomy. They have Brute Force level of proportions and facial structure. Humans don't look like that.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
The issue is the costumes look too close to the MCU versions. If they were more comic book-ish I don't think there'd be as much criticism. As it is they end up looking like bootleg Avengers (or their stunt doubles).

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably too tied to the lore to change, like how they have a story behind why the star on Captain America's shield is bigger than the blue circle.

Ant-Man probably gave Thor those giant watch batteries as a present.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The designs are fine, people will be used to them by the time the game is out.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
You just know most of the team hate the look but some art director or something won't listen.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I hate people defending the designs because "this isn't the MCU". These characters existed for decades before the MCU was even thought of. We're aware. I doubt anyone expected the game to shoot for something similar. I didn't (and I didn't want them to).

I'm inclined to agree but my response was based on stuff I glanced from the chat during the reveal and some rumblings across the net, people complaining that the character design and tone of the game seemed MCU-esque to the point to where they felt like they were "discounted versions" of the actual actors that played the characters.

But yeah you're right. The designs are kinda wack. Like I said my complaint is the actual faces just look kinda lifeless and generic. I personally was expecting better budget character facial modeling and mokap...but maybe that's just me. Costumes...some are ok or passable and others are just a little too over-designed or "trying too hard" if that makes sense

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
I don't think anyone expected that. MUA3 doesn't look like MCU Marvel and they look great.
Not sure I agree. I've had a couple of friends that are a little more casual ask "Could they not afford the actors likenesses?" And fwiw I think the nature of MUA3 makes designing those characters a bit different. The issue I'm seeing people having is with the faces not the costume design.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. I don't care if Cap doesn't look like Chris Evans. But this Cap just looks like some Liefeldian roided-out cop in a dumb mask. All of the designs are just bad.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
They do say right now, I would assume it's far too soon for those types of discussions to even begun since E3 is just ending.
I don't see/expect them do...I mean...this ISN'T the MCU characters.
It would be good if you looked at these characters and didn't feel like they were the MCU characters but that's not the case since they're apping the MCU, that's the issue. It's why everyone keep saying they look like the Halloween costume version.

You didn't get the same from the Spider-Man PS4 game, even though that game straight up just took the MCU eyes, and you're not getting that from Ultimate Alliance.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
The designs aren't great but good for the studio. Stick to your guns and stop bowing down to people who will ultimately play the game anyway.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good. The characters need a lot of polish but the designs are perfectly fine. Fans overreacting the way they have been these last few days has been embarrassing.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The designs didn't bother me and I suspect that people are gonna just customize their characters anyway.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure you will be able to buy the costume of choice that more suits your taste once the game releases.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I wouldn't have expected them to change the designs anyway and was never expecting them to look like the MCU versions, that makes no sense.

I wouldn't call them horrible either, just kind of whatever. I thought Insomniac Spider Man was way more appealing immediately

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Other elements that were picked on include Captain America's overly bulky riot gear-inspired costume and the clunky discs that make it look like Thor has a sound system mounted on his chest.

Are we supposed to act like that's not a classic Thor design?

4680210-2828394736-thr9kra.jpg

Or even an MCU one?
5915411bf0697c19bd8bed6jic.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Is anyone expecting them to be the MCU characters?

The problem isn't that they aren't close enough to the MCU, it's that they're bland mobile tie-in knock-off versions where they wanted it close but didn't want to spring for likenesses. Pretty sure most people would prefer something more unique.

crimsonlink

Oct 29, 2017
If you look at the marvel animes from JP studios, they really seem to struggle with it. I don't know why but they simply cannot draw good designs based off comic properties lol. At least imo

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever played any other Marvel game that isn't a movie tie in or Legos? They never look like the actors. They have the same skin, eye, hair color and build but that's it.
The entire point is to make them look like generic versions of the actors. Games have been doing it for fucking ever.

Not to mention that 99% of them wear costumes with helmets or masks. We'll get the movie costumes.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty cool that we live in a world where Capcom is releasing games that are more visually impressive than big budget games with the backing of the biggest entertainment franchise in the world

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
There will be dozens of costumes anyway, just tweak and improve the quality of the faces, which they obviously will from a pre-alpha build

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't know, man. Of course you don't want to overreact to first impressions. And E3-watching fans may not be representative of your full audience. But as a general matter, if a lot of people are telling you that your character designs are unappealing, I'd look into that.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The designs overall are just bland. I mean, this is their design for Hank Pym:

avengers-ant-man-580x334.jpg

Now he's out of costume, and the narrative might play into his look (with 5 years of the Avengers disbanded). But that's still Hank Pym, in a scene, in the game. It's an uninspired look for even a down-and-out casual wear Ant-Man.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have never been shown with as terrible as they are. Where the artists at

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The designs are fine, just people overreacting as usual.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You don't have to make the characters look like the MCU... but more akin to the comics or any other marvel media... 'cause right now they look really bad... bad enough to consider it a no buy.