• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
OkQWOaW.jpg

Coolade

Oct 27, 2017
I am happy to see these numbers after witnessing sunset overdrive making them $567 :|

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Interesting that they expect a hit on first 12 month sales and ROI for Venom.
Maybe those are really reasonable expectations or they take into account that lockdown times are over.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Interesting that they expect a hit on first 12 month sales and ROI for Venom.
Maybe those are really reasonable expectations or they take into account that lockdown times are over.
To be honest, I wasn't very pleased playing as Venom in Spiderman 2, so maybe they took into consideration that not everybody likes the different playstyle. A standalone Venom game does nothing for me at this point, unless gameplay shows something completely different. It's just something completely new and I believe they're acknowledging that fact.

And as you said, the lockdown thing is also huge

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
So I guess we have moved past being outraged and are all just posting all this stolen information without any care now hey.

Yeah I don't exactly feel great about all these threads popping up. Imagine being Insomniac right now. Watching everything you've worked for leak and leak...

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
To be honest, I wasn't very pleased playing as Venom in Spiderman 2, so maybe they took into consideration that not everybody likes the different playstyle. A standalone Venom game does nothing for me at this point, unless gameplay shows something completely different.

It's just something completely new and I believe they're acknowledging that fact

That could be of course also the reason.

What is good to see is that they even will produce a more expensive Venom instead of a "safe" Miles Morales 2.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not really an apples to apples comparison, as Spider-Man is by far a more popular IP, but putting these sales next to the Demon's Souls / Ratchet ones really shows why Sony were so keen to keep cross-gen going for as long as they could.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
the lesson here should be that if your game is good its okay if its 6 hours long

I feel like this is a pretty perfect balance - you get a fully featured game that last you around 30+ hours and a shorter one that doesn't need a full 4 year cycle and might lure in people who won't commit to a full game while also refreshing the IP without needing to release a full title a year like CoD.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I actually enjoyed this one a lot more than the original when playing all 3 games back to back to back. I hope Spider Man 2 DLC can be a good as what Spider-man got, city that never sleeps was already really good.

Oct 31, 2017
MM sales 14.4MM
MM revenue 554MM
Marvel Fee 106.5MM
Fee percentage (average) 19.2

Venom predicted sales 10MM
Venom predicted rev 361.7MM
Marvel Fee forecast 57.3MM
Fee percentage forecast 15.8

If the majority of the 4.4M delta is digital downloads at 26% royalty fee would bring that up to ~19% as well. Tail end most games would be digital downloads I guess.

Oct 31, 2017
I think Marvel also made almost $150mil on it? $106.5m licensing, $42m from profit sharing. I said this is another thread as well, but you really gotta wonder how the people over at WB are looking at figures like this.

I'm not sure profit share is to Marvel. Might be to the publisher or platform holder (i.e. SIE/Steam). IGs would differentiate that since it's different departments in the case of SIE.

Regardless, having your own developer means you can also get higher profits. Higher risk higher rewards. WB would look at it and see that they'd make the 150M + the 270M IGs is making + the publisher take Sony is making.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I'm not sure profit share is to Marvel. Might be to the publisher or platform holder (i.e. SIE/Steam). IGs would differentiate that since it's different departments in the case of SIE.

Regardless, having your own developer means you can also get higher profits. Higher risk higher rewards. WB would look at it and see that they'd make the 150M + the 270M IGs is making + the publisher take Sony is making.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a profit share for SIE, as well as i'm sure Insomniac Games didn't had to pay for marketing.
Could be profit share for Marvel.
It even would make sense if it is the profit share that stays inhouse at Insomniac Games, i don't believe SIE would take such a laughable profit share and finance the marketing.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
With profits like this, it's insane that Sony needs Insom to cut 50-75 jobs in order for Sony to meet its short term P/L goals. With the Marvel IPs, Insomniac is straight up printing money for Sony. Just leave them the fuck alone and let them make you cool, profitable shit

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I said this is another thread as well, but you really gotta wonder how the people over at WB are looking at figures like this.

After how much money they made with the Wizard game they are pretty much happy with their strategy, their gaming unit has been doing well for years and years.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Marvel also made almost $150mil on it? $106.5m licensing, $42m from profit sharing. I said this is another thread as well, but you really gotta wonder how the people over at WB are looking at figures like this.
WB don't give a damn

Their last DC game was about their most popular character dying
And the next game is about killing their most popular characters with a bunch of losers and Harley Quinn after having 2 movies based on that shit be unsuccessful..

WBs is a damn joke outside of MK and HP

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love that middle game so much. It's so good, and it's the rare Christmas-themed game too. Substantial enough, but also just short enough to replay every year.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
The days of Spider-man DLC is dead, the days of milking Spider-man games for all their worth has only just begun