• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
spoilers-01iluec.png

fixed11suux0.png

Last edited:

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I finally forced my way through Defenders to catch up with this. I should hope this is a huge improvement, but I don't know that I have any reason to believe that. I feel like these shows have a shoestring budget and a directive to be as flat and uninteresting as they can be. I don't think it's the cast and showrunners faults.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Seems a lil early for this no?

Either way, cant wait for this show! After Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and the mediocre Defenders, The Punisher looks like it will finally break the streak and deliver in the best way!

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give this a watch even though I'm not a fan Bernthalas's take on Frank Castle, or the change to his origin.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first marvel show I will have watched since luke cage (skipped the defenders and iron fist )

Hope it's good.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah, after a few disappointing shows this will hopefully match DD levels.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this gets the Marvel shows back on track. This is the one I'm most excited for.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I'm excited. I actually believe Bernthal when he said that the show would address how much problematic Punisher is, especially at this day and age, especially in the US.

BTW, here in Brazil a new law was approved and now rural property owners can get guns without much of a background check and our "representatives" want to revoke the laws that allow to abort a pregnancy in cases of rape. Mankind is doomed and I'm seriously considering to move to Australia.

Last edited:

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I keep forgetting this comes out so soon. Hopefully it will take the bad taste out of my mouth from The Defenders.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Please be good. Jon Bernthal is such an amazing actor, just perfect for this role. Best part of Daredevil S2!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
totally forgot this was dropping this weekend

i can't really muster any excitement for netflix mcu anymore

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
New teaser:
https://twitter.com/ThePunisher/status/928683624630706176

This is better trailer material than the other trailers, it's what I'm hoping for from the series.

Punisher as his own worst enemy is the character's whole thing.

I wouldn't quite say that, while he despises that what he's doing is necessary and he doesn't think he's a good person at all, he still feels it's necessary. He's not a hero, but I'd argue he's almost never the villain, except for particularly badly written stories.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, looking forward to this! I have a long box filled with Punisher comics from the 90's and early 2000's, so I'm hoping this is good. Keeping my hype levels at a reasonable level, though.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I haven't seen Defenders yet. Is it good? A slog? Do I need to watch it to understand some of what's going on in this?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Defenders yet. Is it good? A slog? Do I need to watch it to understand some of what's going on in this?
It's average, and probably not, since it has nothing to do with The Punisher.

I'm looking forward to this without being too excited about it. Karen Page is in it, and she's best girl of the MCU. I'm in.

OP
OP
Absent

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
- LA Times: Can Marvel's ultra-violent character 'The Punisher' be used to understand trauma victims?
Series star Jon Bernthal ("The Walking Dead") is acutely aware of the political climate surrounding "The Punisher," but views this new iteration of the antihero as a complicated examination of grief and trauma, not an exploitation of assault.

Which would make it a pretty big deviation from the past R-rated film translations of the character Frank Castle.

"If I've created a guy who lionizes [violence], I've failed miserably," said Bernthal by phone. "I don't want you to look at him and say, 'This guy's clearly a hero.' That's never how I've looked at him, and that's never been the purpose. Frank is a guy who is in unbelievable pain, and there's an unbelievable cost to the violence that he's gone through in his life."
So will "The Punisher" confront the concerns Americans currently have about gun violence?

"I hope so," Bernthal said. "I hope it makes people think. That's the best thing that art can do is not try to answer those questions, but to try to ask them and to hold a mirror to society and make you wonder why.

"There are some people that will look at Frank Castle and the way in which he tries to go forward and live his life after his family's been taken from him and say that he's an advocate for vigilante justice or potentially that this show sort of glorifies that in some way. For me, that's not how I see it.… I think that whether you agree or disagree with his actions, my job is to empathize with the man and to try to understand his pain and, to the best of my ability, try to portray that. I hope that we've done it justice."
- Indiewire: 'The Punisher' Star Jon Bernthal on The Challenges of Launching a Trigger-Happy Show After Mass Shootings
Speaking to IndieWire a day later, Bernthal said he was deeply affected by what happened. "I turn on the TV yesterday and my heart just absolutely breaks for the tragedy that occurred in Texas, just a senseless, cowardly act. My heart is broken for the tragedy that just enveloped a small town, where everyone knew each other, everyone is going to be touched by this," he said. "We put the show off because of one of these tragedies and in that short period of time, now there is another one."
That said, he thinks that "there is no question that I am concerned with the desensitization of violence. That is something that we should talk about, and we should address."

Incidents like the shootings in Sutherland Springs theoretically should give us those opportunities, Bernthal believes. "If anything it just tells me, it re-intensifies the fact that we have an unbelievable problem here. I think that unfortunately people take a stand politically and are completely steadfast in their political position," he said. "Somehow that's being confused with strength, rather than a real desire and ability to open themselves to the other side of this, and see merit on the other side of this thing, and that we can sit down like Americans and people who all want this to stop and try to figure out a way to do so."

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
After Luke Cage and The Defenders, I think I'll treat this like Iron Fist and wait for impressions before deciding whether or not to jump in.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Glad someone else went ahead and bumped this thread instead of me lol. Cannot wait for this show. Really wish they would have released it this week though :(

Have there been any reviews yet for the first few episodes?

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Rawlins seems a bit more subdued than I thought he'd be but hopefully they have carried forward how much of a fucking asshole he was in the comics.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Man I really hope Bernthal is as conscientious and thoughtful as he seems regarding this, and was able to fight for that portrayal of Frank. If they manage to make a Punisher show that's an indictment of gun violence in America I'll be seriously impressed, but that's a fucking tall order.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rawlins seems a bit more subdued than I thought he'd be but hopefully they have carried forward how much of a fucking asshole he was in the comics.
They made him a bit older here as well. Rawlins in the comics was definitely younger than Castle.

Wonder if there's a Rawlins Jr in this version lol

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
With Justice League shaping up to be a fun time, I'm very happy that I have advance tickets for November, 15th. We are getting JL earlier here because it's a holiday, but I'm definitely making November 17th a personal holiday too. Next week is shaping up amazing, haha. Did we get any reviews for this yet?

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Castle was the best part of DD Season 2, but having just watched the really dull trailer (and having sat through the awful Defenders episodes a few weeks back) I can't muster up any kind of excitement for this.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really hope Bernthal is as conscientious and thoughtful as he seems regarding this, and was able to fight for that portrayal of Frank. If they manage to make a Punisher show that's an indictment of gun violence in America I'll be seriously impressed, but that's a fucking tall order.

Isn't this a new tack from him? I seem to recall some statements from when he was cast that seemed pretty gung-ho about the whole vigilante thing.

Africanus II

Oct 26, 2017
LIke many people I'm real behind.
I have to watch Jessica Jones (never watched it, started with Daredevil and then Luke Cage). Then Iron Fist, then Defenders.

Punisher will have to wait :(