• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I was hoping for a rare but all I got was a Tutancommon...
source.gif

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Imagine in the future people finding huge sarcophagi and opening them just to find spent nuclear fuel rods...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How has this not been opened yet?
There are procedures to this. First you have to get a bunch of hired workers to open it so they get hit with the curses first. Then you have dartguns filled with mercury at the ready. Sprinkler systems must be retrofitted with bug bombs in case of scarabs. A librarian has to be on staff at all times. Lastly the room needs to have no fewer than 11 cats.

And it goes without saying that there can't be any sand or glass within 400ft of the sarcophagus on opening.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine in the future people finding huge sarcophagi and opening them just to find spent nuclear fuel rods...
This is actually a problem if humans survive on earth another couple thousand years. People have discussed what sort of language would be universal enough to warn, "The stuff buried here is not valuable, has no historical/archeological value, AND will kill you."

A human skull / bones is pretty common, but I think I read at least some cultures don't associate that with death or poison the same way we might.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I still maintain the idea that the pyramids are much, much older than estimated.

It's amazing how little we know about them.

MrSpiffing

Oct 30, 2017
This is actually a problem if humans survive on earth another couple thousand years. People have discussed what sort of language would be universal enough to warn, "The stuff buried here is not valuable, has no historical/archeological value, AND will kill you."

A human skull / bones is pretty common, but I think I read at least some cultures don't associate that with death or poison the same way we might.
For anyone interested in this problem there is a documentary about a nuclear waste repository in Finland called Into Eternity. One of the issues they face is how to warn anyone who may stumble upon it the far future, when its purpose has been long forgotten, that it's contents are deadly.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_Eternity_(film)

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Thinking about it, I think it would be impossible.

Human curiosity is unstoppable.

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone interested in this problem there is a documentary about a nuclear waste repository in Finland called Into Eternity. One of the issues they face is how to warn anyone who may stumble upon it the far future, when its purpose has been long forgotten, that it's contents are deadly.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_Eternity_(film)
And the funny thing is, for any of us in modern times, imagine exploring a pyramid and seeing symbolic drawings about people dying, warning symbols, ancient languages about death awaiting whoever enters. Obviously we would dismiss that as superstition, the stuff movies are made of.

Now replace the pyramid contents with nuclear waste.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Sad these guys drowned to death after they died.