Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns Around Homophobia
perhaps the moral of the story is that he should have kept his mouth shut instead of loudly announcing to god and everybody that he used to say homophobic slurs up until age 51 in the year of our lord 2021 and expecting applause for it as if it's some great personal achievement
Maybe the morale was supposed to be that he has a great kid that helped him grow, but instead of course it's being turned into a bitch & crackers thing.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
When (most)people are talking about this, they're talking about what was acceptable in the eyes of society which is constantly changing. That's what they mean. They don't actually mean that it was acceptable they're just talking about that in that time period, people thought it was.....emphasis on "thought it was".

Obviously, but that doesn't carry a lot of water. People shouldn't need society to tell them not to use pejorative slurs.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
This place is always like that. Well-meaning progressives aghast at reality outside the bubble. One thing I always hear on here is, "What are they.... 13? I haven't heard an adult use the f-word for x number of years." People that know I'm gay will still use fag for stupid/lame/etc. And then they'll try to explain to me how they didn't mean it "that way" or whatever. This thing about Matt Damon is the least surprising thing ever. Him being 50 and in hollywood doesn't make this any more ridiculous to me. South Park's "The F Word" came out in 2009 in which they spend a whole episode justifying its use as a generalized insult. It hasn't gone away in that time. It wasn't even that long ago. This stuff is deep, deep, deep within our culture.

And I hate the the sentiment in here of "he should have known better." Can't be satisfied that someone learned that using fag even when not directed at gays is still harmful, but we all gotta by all annoyingly cynical about how he didn't do it on our timeline. I'm not surprised it took him this long. At least he was willing to change his mind. I'm not gonna throw him a medal either, but damn, just take the fucking win guys.
In my 30 years on this planet as a gay dude, I've lived in mostly the south and ruby red districts. People know it is wrong and generally unacceptable by society. Most of the people that say it are men that are insecure and immature. I still hear it on occasion but it is also the same people that say racist things because they find it funny to antagonize other people.

Maybe the morale was supposed to be that he has a great kid that helped him grow, but instead of course it's being turned into a bitch & crackers thing.

Sometimes it's best to keep some stories to yourself.

Much like the rest of his interview where he is telling people to listen to Trump supporters because they have an interesting perspective and aren't that bad. He comes across as incredibly out of touch. Much of this came across as if he had an epiphany over something US society came to terms with a decade ago.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

"bitch & crackers thing" is a fascinating way of characterizing queer people criticizing a grown ass adult for using homophobic slurs and claiming he did not know it was a homophobic slur until they ear 2021 when his 15 year old daughter explained it to him

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
"bitch & crackers thing" is a fascinating way of characterizing queer people criticizing a grown ass adult for using homophobic slurs and claiming he did not know it was a homophobic slur until they ear 2021 when his 15 year old daughter explained it to him

Yeah how the fuck is hurling homophobic slurs in any way comparable to eating crackers. How in the actual fuck do people manage to say this kinda shit when trying to defend the straights

Says a lot more about yourself than you realize if you consider it to be completely harmless.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never called anyone 'f****t' in my personal life and this conversation with my daughter was not a personal awakening. I do not use slurs of any kind,"

Never assumed Matt Damon did such a thing. However I assumed he was making private jokes with his family using the word because that is what he was quoted saying.

"The word that my daughter calls the 'f-slur for a homosexual' was commonly used when I was a kid, with a different application," Damon told the U.K. newspaper. "I made a joke, months ago, and got a treatise from my daughter. She left the table. I said, 'Come on, that's a joke! I say it in the movie Stuck on You!' She went to her room and wrote a very long, beautiful treatise on how that word is dangerous. I said, 'I retire the f-slur!' I understood."

Nah, my read is that Damon used it towards other (presumed) heterosexual people as an insult but not towards homosexual people. Mostly because that's how it played out across schoolyards decades ago. I don't buy that he never called anyone the slur, but I think it's certainly probable he never intended to maliciously call a homosexual person the slur. What he missed is that using that language propagates bigotry, even if it's not directed towards a marginalized target.

That's the leap of logic that I'm hoping folks Damon's age/background who are following this story can understand, because apparently it IS an extra step for some people. And it's why I wish he were more honest about things, or at least more sincerely introspective, because his celebrity could do a whole lot of good there.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
tumblr_pf7mh7OVd21r1uq0jo1_1280.png

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
It's kind of surprising this guy went to Harvard (or maybe it's not? I dunno).

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
There needs to be a term for this phenomenon where a dude just blithely shares that he's had a doofus-tier aha moment about something sensitive that for him is purely academic. You see it a lot online and it's not that different from JAQing off honestly.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
No, but I'd think he'd be smart enough to avoid saying something so stupid.

He went to Harvard like 30 years ago. He's been a celebrity for almost the 30 years since. Celebrities often have a warped, overinflated view of themselves because, frankly, its probably hard for them to interact with people who are honest with them, or tell them something they said is stupid, or simply hold them accountable. Matt Damon 100% thought he was saying something insightful and profound when he said this, and was expecting people to react with graciousness.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"I raised a daughter so awesome that she taught me how homophobic slurs in 2021 are not a good look. Am I not the greatest dad?".

Still not seeing it, chief. Good for the daughter, but I feel sorry for her.

Jun 22, 2019
Literally couldn't watch that 1 episode of Bob's Burgers where they keep playing up Matt Damon as perfect years back because it was so annoying. Shit is was annoying as fuck with everyone loving Tom Hanks for no reason too.

So tired of utterly mediocre and ignorant white men being put on this pedestal of pseudo-wholesomeness.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Literally couldn't watch that 1 episode of Bob's Burgers where they keep playing up Matt Damon as perfect years back because it was so annoying. Shit is was annoying as fuck with everyone loving Tom Hanks for no reason too.

So tired of utterly mediocre and ignorant white men being put on this pedestal of pseudo-wholesomeness.

Wait what did Tom Hanks do?