OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
maxfaqsqyiaa.png

What is MAX?
MAX is HBO Max's new rebrand, aimed to reduce reliance on the premium HBO brand in order to allow for the streaming service to add content from the Warner Bros library and from the Discovery library.

What are the pricing plans for MAX?
The two current plans for HBO Max will stay the same, and a third new plan will be added.
  • Ad Lite ($9.99/month, or $99.99/year)
    • Up to HD quality.
    • 2 concurrent streams.
    • Lite ads, "see only three or four minutes of ads per hour"
  • Ad Free ($15.99/month)
    • Up to HD quality.
    • 2 concurrent streams.
    • Up to 30 downloads.
    • No ads.
  • Ultimate ($19.99/month)
    • Up to 4K HDR (w/ Dolby Atmos) quality.
    • 4 concurrent streams.
    • Up to 100 downloads at a time.
    • No ads.
I have HBO Max, is anything changing?
Nothing is changing! Your same HBO shows will still be on the platform and prices will stay the same.
Your profiles and watch history will be migrated.

I get HBO Max through my provider, do I get Max through my provider?
It is expected that you should receive Max through your provider with the same benefits as what you would get with your current HBO Max account.
  • i.e: if you login through Cricket, you'd get Max with Ads, as you are currently receiving HBO Max with ads

I have HBO Max, do I need to download a new app?
This depends on how you access HBO Max.
  • Amazon Fire, Cox, Roku, VIZIO TV or XFinity?
    • Your application will automatically update to the new Max platform.
  • Android, iOS, DIRECTV, LG TV, PlayStation, Samsung TV, and Xbox
    • Your HBO Max app will prompt you to download the new Max app.

I subscribe to HBO Max in Mexico/LATAM/Central Europe. Is anything changing?
No. You will retain HBO Max as usual and not be migrated to the Max service as of yet.

Last edited:

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
It is so hard to get HBO here in Europe so I was hoping this would be the solution. Doesn't really looks like we will get it here in The Netherlands...

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I'm saying this but thank goodness the OG content from this will just be on Crave here in Canada. Got enough streaming platforms with that, Netflix and Prime.

Oct 31, 2017
You also get it if you have HBO Now on AppleTV.

from the latest email I received on Monday the 25th:

"Remember, your HBO NOW app will automatically update to the HBO Max app on supported devices. (Please make sure your auto app updates are turned on.)

You shouldn't need to sign in. But if you do, sign in using your HBO NOW email and password. You'll be able to keep streaming HBO titles, and also get access to all of HBO Max for no extra cost. And you can still stream HBO by logging into your account on HBONOW.com.

You'll continue to be billed monthly by Apple."

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Great OP.

Just a heads up to say that Sky/NOWtv in the UK will be the exclusive home of all of the 'Max Originals' (films & TV) for the next few years.

EDIT - Just noticed your post. Beaten.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
if there's no 4K HDR support at launch I wonder how the 1080p SDR streams will compare to the HBO Amazon Channel ones?...HBO through Amazon currently offers the best image quality so I'm wondering if HBO Max can beat that in terms of bit-rate etc...hopefully someone on ResetERA can do some bit-rate comparisons

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I already got my email from AT&T telling me to just use the same login info I use for HBO Go to log into MAX, so I guess I'm set. If I hadn't just got HBO through getting a new phone plan last month I'd never look twice at this service, but the Miyazaki stuff will be nice, and I see Wonder Woman in the pic and don't think that is currently on HBO Go (might be but I don't recall seeing it while trying to find stuff to watch). So I guess I'll download it.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
Same boat with the fire stick. I really like that thing but this is quite inconvenient.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is Adventure Time Distant Lands on there day 1?

No. The first episode will be up on June 25th.

On Thursday, June 25th, HBO Max will premiere an original second season of the critically acclaimed DC Universe fan-favorite Doom Patrol; an original second season of Sesame Workshop's animated series Esme & Roy, taking preschool-aged viewers on learning adventures through Monsterdale; a brand new third season of the comedy thriller Search Party (the first two seasons will be available on the platform at launch on May 27th); and Adventure Time: Distant Lands- BMO, the first of four hourlong breakout specials resurrecting the Emmy(R) and Peabody award-winning franchise Adventure Time.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
So I have the unlimited att phone plan. Do I just log into the HboMax with my att account?

Cool perk

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Can't wait! Passed on watching Harley Quinn and DOOM Patrol in DC Universe when I heard of the existence of this service

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Is the full Studio Ghibli catalogue going to be available at launch (or soon after)? And let you choose subbed or dubbed?

If so I might jump in for $12/mth. For some reason when this was first announced I was under the impression that it would let you stream Turner broadcast channels live, but when I found out that wasn't the case I kind of lost interest. But $12/mth seems like a good price for what they offer.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize that Comcast users were getting fucked. I guess I'll just have to wait?

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the full Studio Ghibli catalogue going to be available at launch (or soon after)? And let you choose subbed or dubbed?

If so I might jump in for $12/mth. For some reason when this was first announced I was under the impression that it would let you stream Turner broadcast channels live, but when I found out that wasn't the case I kind of lost interest. But $12/mth seems like a good price for what they offer.
No idea if subbed or dubbed. Should all be available on launch considering all except Grave of The Fireflies (Gkids doesn't have distribution rights to this movie).

Internationals got to choose subbed or subbed on Netflix though.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if the HBO Now app icon will change will the layout change on iOS devices, etc?

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
So if i subscribe to HBO through fios, but don't have hulu live and youtube tv I don't get Max? This app and rollout is confusing garbage.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So if i subscribe to HBO through fios, but don't have hulu live and youtube tv I don't get Max? This app and rollout is confusing garbage.
No you will get Max.

If you are a current subscriber for HBO via these cable services:
  • AT&T TV
  • DirecTV
  • AT&T UVerse
  • Spectrum
  • Altice
  • Suddenlink
  • Optimum
  • Cox Contour
  • Verizon FiOS TV
as well as these cable cutter services:
  • Hulu with Live TV
  • YouTube TV
You will receive Max at no extra charge!

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Guess I'll finally watch Rick and Morty S4. Explains why it never showed up on Hulu. I feel like Hulu needs to be careful with this, them having Cartoon Network/Adult Swim stuff was pretty big for them.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
No there's a YT video on what the app looks like idk how they got it

Got it, thanks! Looking forward to seeing what it looks like. Hopefully this new HBO Max means that we may be able to download videos to our phones and other devices too. I'd love to take shows with me on the train (whenever they open up again after this COVID-19).

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Reviews so far for Love Life are not good. I'm more interested in the HBO shows anyway. Like Barry and Succession.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Got it, thanks! Looking forward to seeing what it looks like. Hopefully this new HBO Max means that we may be able to download videos to our phones and other devices too. I'd love to take shows with me on the train (whenever they open up again after this COVID-19).

you can download titles (confirmed on the HBO Max website)

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Guess I'll finally watch Rick and Morty S4. Explains why it never showed up on Hulu. I feel like Hulu needs to be careful with this, them having Cartoon Network/Adult Swim stuff was pretty big for them.
Isn't it not on Hulu because it doesn't usually show up there until the next season is about to begin? Will it be any different on Max? I wasn't expecting to see season 4 on Max for awhile.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Nice OP

Will be trying this out with my family's AT&T Uverse login

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait! Passed on watching Harley Quinn and DOOM Patrol in DC Universe when I heard of the existence of this service
Doom Patrol is the only DCU show I've seen mentioned anywhere to be on HBO Max. I've never seen Harley Quinn named as part of the Max offerings.

Season 4 is still airing, i'm pretty sure new AS stuff doesn't appear on Hulu until the following year

Jul 4, 2018
Isn't it not on Hulu because it doesn't usually show up there until the next season is about to begin? Will it be any different on Max? I wasn't expecting to see season 4 on Max for awhile.
Hulu and Max share rights to Rick and Morty (Disney traded for Star Wars Film rights) that for so it'll likely go the same day on both services once the season has ended.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
So I know I'll get upgraded to Max if I have HBO via Hulu, but do I need to download the HBO Max app to access the Max exclusive stuff?

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
I will have HBO Max since I have AT&T TV Now with HBO. The thing is I have Amazon Fire Sticks but HBO Max app will not be available on Fire TV and Roku. I will have to watch HBO Max on the Xbox One or PS4.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ah ok. I read that wrong. Coffee has to kick in. I thought I needed a provider AND those services.

Turns out I'm the confused garbage haha! Thank you!
No worries! I could see where you're coming from so I changed the wording!

So I know I'll get upgraded to Max if I have HBO via Hulu, but do I need to download the HBO Max app to access the Max exclusive stuff?

Seems like its most likely Hulu with Live TV although I'm unsure, but if it is standard Hulu with HBO, you need to get the HBO Max app and login through there.
Great OP.

Just a heads up to say that Sky/NOWtv in the UK will be the exclusive home of all of the 'Max Originals' (films & TV) for the next few years.

EDIT - Just noticed your post. Beaten.
Great OT, looking foward to tomorrow 😊

Nice OP

Will be trying this out with my family's AT&T Uverse login

Thanks y'all, this was actually a last minute OT as my MacBook literally failed 12am today and I had to get it repaired so used a replacement and started from scratch ;;

Last edited:

MAL

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 25, 2020
Does anyone think that a release date of late 2020/early 2021 for the UK is viable?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Will be getting this free through ATT so I'll definitely be checking out what they have. Excited to see Doom Patrol.

Jul 4, 2018
Does anyone think that a release date of late 2020/early 2021 for the UK is viable?
No. Here's what I wrote about international rollout in the other thread.

HBO MAX international markets seem to be Latin America, the Nordics, Spain and Portugal (I don't have dates but seems like sometime in 2021.) Everywhere else they are continuing existing deals for now (Sky, Foxtel, Star India etc.)

Links to the Latin America and European rollout plans:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ownership-hbos-services-latin-america-1250039

https://tbivision.com/2019/12/05/ex...oll-out-co-pros-and-female-skewing-originals/

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No. Here's what I wrote about international rollout in the other thread.

HBO MAX international markets seem to be Latin America, the Nordics, Spain and Portugal (I don't have dates but seems like sometime in 2021.) Everywhere else they are continuing existing deals for now (Sky, Foxtel, Star India etc.)

Links to the Latin America and European rollout plans:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ownership-hbos-services-latin-america-1250039

https://tbivision.com/2019/12/05/ex...oll-out-co-pros-and-female-skewing-originals/
I find this dumb I don't wanna give Foxtel more money :/

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
This is an email I got from Hulu about a week or so ago. So looks like you will need to download HBO Max's app for that content if you don't have Live Tv.

Screenshot-20200526-085930.jpg