• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
My Now is confusing. It was set up by me but I set it up on my FIL's TV so he could watch Band of Brothers and it used his Samsung TV's billing formation...but apparently my email as login since I get the receipts. I need to fix this before I download.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
HBO Max delivers 1080p at 2x bitrate compared to HBO Now

HBO has often been criticized for its low streaming quality...while it has technically delivered 1080p HD, the low bitrate (level of compression) has made its shows look far worse than 1080p content on competing streaming services...it is disappointing to see HBO Max launch without 4K HDR support but at least it delivers significantly higher video bitrate for 1080p

FlatpanelsHD is seeing an average of 7-10 Mb/s bitrate for 1080p (with MPEG4 AVC) while streaming Joker, Wonder Woman, Batman v Superman, and X-Men: Dark Phoenix, with video bitrate peak at around 13-14 Mb/s

For comparison HBO Now and HBO Go typically hovered around 4-5 Mb/s for 1080p while HBO Europe/Nordic is even lower at around 3.5 Mb/s...in other words, you are getting two to three times as high throughput with HBO Max...HBO Max delivers better HD streaming quality than Netflix and many other providers, surpassing even Apple's 1080p bitrate (but obviously not Apple's 4K HDR bitrate)

We are getting audio in Dolby Digital (AC-3) and 384 Kb/s bitrate

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1590578825

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017

HBO has often been criticized for its low streaming quality...while it has technically delivered 1080p HD, the low bitrate (level of compression) has made its shows look far worse than 1080p content on competing streaming services...it is disappointing to see HBO Max launch without 4K HDR support but at least it delivers significantly higher video bitrate for 1080p

FlatpanelsHD is seeing an average of 7-10 Mb/s bitrate for 1080p (with MPEG4 AVC) while streaming Joker, Wonder Woman, Batman v Superman, and X-Men: Dark Phoenix, with video bitrate peak at around 13-14 Mb/s

For comparison HBO Now and HBO Go typically hovered around 4-5 Mb/s for 1080p while HBO Europe/Nordic is even lower at around 3.5 Mb/s...in other words, you are getting two to three times as high throughput with HBO Max...HBO Max delivers better HD streaming quality than Netflix and many other providers, surpassing even Apple's 1080p bitrate (but obviously not Apple's 4K HDR bitrate)

I just downloaded the app and was going to ask.. is it maxing out at DD not DD+? That's a bummer.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I am being told that my AT&T Internet 1000 package does not include HBO Max and I know that is not true. I am trying to use my normal AT&T account login, what am I doing wrong?

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Checking through their library right now, and this is missing a lot of CN and Adult Swim shows for me to keep a subscription.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of surprised by what's missing here.

for example, no Man Of Steel. No IT Chapter One.

NO MAD MAX FURY ROAD

Last edited:

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if they're putting it on LG Smart TVs?

Checked and the app isn't up on there.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the info, I was curious about this. HBO's quality was pretty shitty before compared to the competition. Can't wait to check the out, updating my app now.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the info, I was curious about this. HBO's quality was pretty shitty before compared to the competition. Can't wait to check the out, updating my app now.

HBO via Amazon Channels used to deliver the highest bit-rates but now HBO Max seems to be slightly higher...bodes well for HBO Max 4K HDR whenever they decide to support it

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I just downloaded the app and was going to ask.. is it maxing out at DD not DD+? That's a bummer.

While I certainly appreciate the higher bitrates launching a streaming service without 4K / HDR in 2020 is a real head scratcher.

The transition from HBO Now to HBO Max on AppleTV was seamless, just did a force update on the app. All my login info carried over without issue.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure I got it setup right. Got HBO through Directv for free and just logged in via my Directv shit, setup a hbo account and billing says through ATT so all should be good I believe we'll find out when the actual bill cuts I guess

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a list of missing DC movies

Nolan's trilogy being MIA is pretty big
  • Superman and the Mole Men (1951)
  • Batman (1966)
  • Superman (1978)
  • Superman 2 (1980)
  • Swamp Thing (1982)
  • Superman 3 (1983)
  • Superman 4 (1987)
  • The Return of Swamp Thing (1989)
  • Batman Begins (2005)
  • Constantine (2005)
  • Superman Returns (2006)
  • The Dark Knight (2008)
  • Watchmen (2009)
  • The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
  • Man of Steel (2013)
  • Birds of Prey (2020)
  • Dozens of DC Animated Movies, Including Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

• Batman (1966)
  • Superman (1978)
  • Superman 2 (1980)
  • Swamp Thing (1982)
  • Superman 3 (1983)
  • Superman 4 (1987)
  • Batman Begins (2005)
  • Constantine (2005)
  • The Dark Knight (2008)
  • Watchmen (2009)
  • Man of Steel (2013)
  • Birds of Prey (2020)

how many of those are on DCU? 👀

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I really don't need an advertisement for the service I'm currently subscribed to before every episode of every show.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Nolan's trilogy being MIA is pretty big
  • Batman (1966)
  • Superman (1978)
  • Superman 2 (1980)
  • Swamp Thing (1982)
  • Superman 3 (1983)
  • Superman 4 (1987)
  • Batman Begins (2005)
  • Constantine (2005)
  • The Dark Knight (2008)
  • Watchmen (2009)
  • Man of Steel (2013)
  • Birds of Prey (2020)

Batman, Batman Returns, Catwoman, Lego Batman, Teen Titans Go Movie, and Justice League are all listed under last chance, so they'll be gone soon.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i had no hype for this until i was reading the OP here and saw that the studio ghibli films are on here now. need to get off work to see if my hbo go is magically hbo max now.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, what a joke.

edit: dang, no Harley Quinn at launch?
There's quite a lot of missing DC stuff.
I don't think they ever even stated that any DCU stuff other than Doom Patrol was coming to Max. I think that was just speculation.

there's some glaring film omissions (Man of Steel, Nolan Trilogy, etc) but the real kick in the teeth for me is the total dearth of DC animated shows like Batman TAS

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Signed in just fine with my HBO Now info. This service is worth it for the Ghibli collection alone.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I had to download the app on Android twice. The first time it downloaded the Now app ins

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of underwhelming library so far, I knew a lot of their collections were just "selections" from libraries but I thought there would be more, specifically from CN and Adult Swim. That + the lack of a real must-see MAX-exclusive drama make it a weird launch. It's hard to complain when it's really just a vast expansion of a service I'm already happy with and pay for, just feels kind of undercooked when your main selling points are a 25 year old sitcom, a mediocre Anna Kendrick romcom and Elmo.

the Ghibli library tho

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, for existing Now users, how does it work? When this launches will me going to HBO Now redirect to Max or do I intentionally need to log in to a different site with the same account?

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
The 1080 stream does look as good as hyped on the google play app via my Sony TV. That TCM/Criterion section is really nice.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, for existing Now users, how does it work? When this launches will me going to HBO Now redirect to Max or do I intentionally need to log in to a different site with the same account?
The latter. I can use my HBO Now info to log into the Max website with nothing additional needed, but if I didn't know about Max beforehand there's zero indication it exists on the Now website

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Really digging these animation classics - watching Flintstones and Looney Tunes while sipping coffee is a nice start to my morning.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Signed in using my Spectrum account. No issues at all.

They have all the Studio Ghibli movies!? This is the best.

Also, is Close Enough and Adventure Time: Distant Lands not on here yet? I thought those were launch titles.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Some pretty interesting stuff on there (apart from the originals stuff, none of which seems that great off the bat).

Weird that the Xbox app wouldn't download yet. Had no issues with iPad app.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Got it up and running, some pretty good content on here. It'll definitely be something that I return to, especially since I get it free through AT&T. Will probably start watching Doom Patrol tonight.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
My HBO Now app on my Android was updated but when I login it says currently unavailable. What?

Canoli316

Jan 19, 2018
I'm loving the classic animation like Looney Tunes, Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby-Doo and Popeye. Glad that's all on there. There's just so much stuff. I have like 30 things in my list already.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Answering a few questions before I sleep.

Do I get Max for free if I have AT&T Internet/wireless?
If you have one of the eligible plans listed on this infographic, you are eligible for free HBO MAX.
0Amy88y.png

I have HBO through Amazon, am I eligible to get this for free?
At the moment no. HBO and Amazon have not reached a deal in terms of HBO Max so you're stuck using HBO on Amazon in the meantime.

Anyone know if they're putting it on LG Smart TVs?
No, HBO Max has confirmed not to come onto LG Smart TVs at launch.

What VPN are you using? Also do Australian cards work?
I'm using Tunnelbear on desktop and Getflix on mobile.
Getflix is now working on both Desktop and Mobile.
Australian cards will not work directly on HBOMax.com, however there is a workaround for this.
  1. Sign up for a US PayPal account.
  2. Link your Australian card to said US PayPal account.
  3. Sign up for a US iTunes or US Google Play account.
  4. Link US PayPal to US iTunes or Google Play account.
  5. Get Getflix.
  6. Setup Getflix.
  7. Download HBO Max.
  8. Subscribe to HBO Max through said US iTunes or Google Play account.
  9. You can access HBO Max now on both desktop or mobile platform.
  10. Bonus: be on the lookout for discounted iTunes/Google Play gift cards that you can add as credit for the service to take money out of.

Last edited: