• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

(Left to Right in terms of "Best" to "Worst" of each tier)
MSF - Resident Evil 4
XS - RE (Remake)
S - RE2 (Remake) - RE2 (Original) - RE7
A - RE5* - RE3 - RE (Original)
B - REV2 - REV - Outbreak - RE6
C - RE0 - Code: Veronica - Umbrella Chronicles
D - Operation: Raccoon City
E - The Darkside Chronicles - Umbrella Corps - Gun Survivor
Didn't Play - RE Gaiden - Survivor 2 - Dead Aim - Mercs 3D - Outbreak Files #2

*Due to Co-op

Can't say I disagree with much. Really only the placement of the games on the S tier I might swap around.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't abide ranking REMake over RE2-Remake, or listing Code Veronica so low. But it's a solid list otherwise I think.

Seriously, Code Veronica is worse than RE6?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
How unfortunate that he didn't play Mercs 3D. That gave me quite a bit of fun in the early years of the 3DS' life!

It'd be at least a "B" on my own scale.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hate 6 but 0 and Code Vern are definitely worse. His tier list was hard to understand at first because he seems to genuinely dislike the games in the C bracket.

Also, OP forgot the * next to RE5, which was a placing contingent on the co-op experience.

I don't really disagree with the list. The four games listed after RE4 always change in rank for me depending on the day. On his scale, I'd probably move 6 to the C bracket though.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Huh. I just saw people on here in the past month saying how Darkside Chronicles is way better than Umbrella Chronicles.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I'd drop 4 lower but other than that it's mostly my list.

Seriously, CV and 0 are so bad. I hate the characters, the monsters, the setting, the story, everything about them.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
0 and Code Veronica are leagues better than 6, but it's a solid list in general.

For 6 the reason is simply the combat and notes that the level design is not good.

For 0 he really liked the start of the game but felt the inventory system and partner system ruined it.

For Code Veronica go to 7:01 of the video, since I feel he better explains it then I could explain what he says haha.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Darkside Chronicles should be in C too, and along with Umbrella Chronicles should be above 0 and CV. Maybe even B tier. Like, I'd much rather replay 0 and CV in their Chronicles games.

Otherwise I'm satisfied with the rankings.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I would bump RE7 down to A tier without hesitation, but otherwise that list looks great.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Solid list overall, personally I would drop RE6 much lower.

Seeing Dead Aim in there it reminded me that the first thing I saw of it was the trailer with the theme song

To this day it's the first thing I think of when I remember Dead Aim.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I liked the fair take on RE6, which seems to be how more people are starting to feel about it now.
RE6 isn't perfect, but there's a lot of fun stuff in there if you're willing to give it a chance and go through some of the odder parts. Which to me sums up every game he put in the B ranks, they all have good ideas even if they don't land them.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I just saw people on here in the past month saying how Darkside Chronicles is way better than Umbrella Chronicles.

As he says in the video the cinematic camera they tried to go for in Darkside vs Umbrella made the former a lot less fun due to how it would constantly mess with their aiming.

Edit: Not to mention makes it nauseating.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As he says in the video the cinematic camera they tried to go for in Darkside vs Umbrella made the former a lot less fun due to how it would constantly mess with their aiming.

Can confirm. Was playing on PS3 with the DS3 and certain parts were downright terrible to play (Mainly the RE2 sections with Mr. X). Granted you shouldn't play it with a DS3, but it's the easiest way to play it these days.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kard8p3 and others:

How did Code Veronica slip so far in the fandom's estimation? I don't follow RE that much, but last I checked it was at least considered superior to RE3 and RE0......and certainly way ahead of RE6.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm. Was playing on PS3 with the DS3 and certain parts were downright terrible to play (Mainly the RE2 sections with Mr. X). Granted you shouldn't play it with a DS3, but it's the easiest way to play it these days.

Yeah I can see that. If you play with Move or on Wii it's not really a problem, though annoying at times.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Kard8p3 and others:

How did Code Veronica slip so far in the fandom's estimation? I don't follow RE that much, but last I checked it was at least considered superior to RE3 and RE0......and certainly way ahead of RE6.

I would suggest if you have time look up pat stares at on YouTube. He's doing a re marathon and he goes into detail about it while playing through the game. There's a lot of item management fuckery that can simply screw you over worse than in other games.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I mostly agree with this list, but I would put REmake2 next to RE4.

REmake 2 was just so well made and an excellent modernization of the old RE formula. For me it's on par with RE4 or perhaps even better.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I clicked off when he put 6 in B tier. I'm sorry but RE6 is just unholy horse manure.

Last edited:

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Kard8p3 and others:

Code Veronica, for me, is always where the series got SUPER stupid. Like it was always stupid, but you look at Code Veronica and you see where they got ideas for things like Alice in the movies. Also the backtracking is terrible. While RE1 had a lot of it too, RE1 is the originator. They were still figuring out what worked. CV always felt like they were trying to experiment ... but also play it safe. Thus really feeling erratic.

Also, hot take, way too much Wesker

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Fairly good list, but I honestly don't feel RE4 has aged well in certain aspects. I love -LOVE- RE4, but egh, the memory is better than the game for me.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of the problems with RE6(and there are many) it is at least a stupid fun ride.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Kard8p3 and others:

CV was pretty bitchin for its time, imo. it just got lost through the cracks with the dreamcast/late ps2 release, followed by a sequel that's arguably one of the greatest games of all time or whatever.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Capcom needs to do us all a favor and release UC/DC on switch/ps4 with gyro support.
I mostly agree with this list, but I would put REmake2 next to RE4.

REmake 2 was just so well made and an excellent modernization of the old RE formula. For me it's on par with RE4 or perhaps even better.
REmake 2 is special. Personally speaking, I have RE3, RE4, and REmake 2 at the top.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't abide ranking REMake over RE2-Remake, or listing Code Veronica so low. But it's a solid list otherwise I think.

Seriously, Code Veronica is worse than RE6?
I agree that RE2 Remake is the best.

I'd actually move 6 up to end of A, RE5 down to first in C, and CV down to D. So, we're definitely opposite on 6 and CV. Opinions, man.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would suggest if you have time look up pat stares at on YouTube. He's doing a re marathon and he goes into detail about it while playing through the game. There's a lot of item management fuckery that can simply screw you over worse than in other games.
I certainly remember that there were times in CV where I noticed that if I had wasted ammunition or not saved up enough of the right ammo types, you could be totally screwed and have to start all over. I thought that was kinda par for the course in early-era Resident Evil.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I honestly think 0 and CVX are good in the C tier. As they're both the hardest Classic RE titles to get into for a first time play. There's a lot of fond memories for people who played them at the time, but recommending them to newer players gets harder and harder as time goes on. More so than the original trilogy i'd argue.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Code Veronica, for me, is always where the series got SUPER stupid. Like it was always stupid, but you look at Code Veronica and you see where they got ideas for things like Alice in the movies. Also the backtracking is terrible. While RE1 had a lot of it too, RE1 is the originator. They were still figuring out what worked. CV always felt like they were trying to experiment ... but also play it safe. Thus really feeling erratic.
In the context of the entire series though, is Code Veronica that much more stupid than anything that came after? I can understand blaming it for a tone-shift in the series, but the twists and turns of later titles seem just as (if not more) ridiculous and silly.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Decent ranking, mine is probably something like:

XS - REmake, RE2, RE2make
S - RE4
A - RE1, RE3, RE7
B - Revelations
C - RE0, RE5, Code: Veronica, Dead Aim
D - Outbreak (offline), RE6
E - Gaiden, Survivor, Survivor 2
Didn't Play/Can't Remember - Revelations 2, Umbrella Chronicles, Darkside Chronicles, Umbrella Corps, Operation: Raccoon City, Mercs 3D, Outbreak 2

I still need to play Revelations 2, hopefully later this year I'll find the time. The PAL version of Outbreak was offline only, so that was my only experience with it. I didn't bother with Outbreak 2 because I had such a bad experience with the first one and all the zombie animals reminded me of Zero's shitty monsters/bosses.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly remember that there were times in CV where I noticed that if I had wasted ammunition or not saved up enough of the right ammo types, you could be totally screwed and have to start all over. I thought that was kinda par for the course in early-era Resident Evil.

I don't want to say wrong information as it's been forever wince I've played it, and I didn't watch all of pats videos but he's super experienced with this series so I couldn't recommend watching his cvx play thru for some clearer info, I don't want to misquote him lol. I just recall (until he played 0) that he considered it the worst of the series at that point in his marathon.

Edit: outbreak deserves more love! Those 2 games were fucking amazing and I'd die for a modern remaster with local coop and online.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
if it weren't for the bad partner and inventory system in RE0, I think people would place it way higher on their lists.

As mentioned in the video, it has some of the best environments in classic RE and a very good atmosphere.