May 31, 2022
Ars Technica has reviewed the new M4 iPad Pro and they state that the M4 has up to 10 total CPU cores and that the 1TB and 2TB M4 iPad Pros will have the 10-core M4 CPU. Ars Technica also did performance tests on the M4 iPad Pro and they state that the OLED display for the M4 iPad Pro "is about as good as it gets in any consumer device (including high-end TVs and smartphones)" and even state that the iPad Air's screen is "nowhere near as good as what you get with the Pro now" and that "the screen is the main reason [to] consider buying a Pro instead of an Air. It's not a small difference.":

Here's a picture of this OLED display that the M4 iPad Pro has:

iPad-Pro-front-screen-scaled.jpeg

arstechnica.com

M4 iPad Pro review: Well, now you’re just showing off

This tablet offers much more than you’ll actually need.

The new iPad Pro is a technical marvel, with one of the best screens I've ever seen, performance that few other machines can touch, and a new, thinner design that no one expected.

It's a prime example of Apple flexing its engineering and design muscles for all to see. Since it marks the company's first foray into OLED beyond the iPhone and the first time a new M-series chip has debuted on something other than a Mac, it comes across as a tech demo for where the company is headed beyond just tablets.

First up, there's the M4 chip. The previous iPad Pro had an M2 chip, and the latest Mac chip is the M3, so not only did the iPad Pro jump two whole generations, but this is the first time it has debuted the newest iteration of Apple Silicon. (Previously, new M-series chips launched on the Mac first and came to the iPad Pro a few months later.)

Using second-generation 3 nm tech, the M4's top configuration has a 10-core CPU, a 10-core GPU, and a 16-core NPU. In that configuration, the 10-core CPU has four performance cores and six efficiency cores.

A lower configuration of the M4 has just nine CPU cores—three performance and six efficiency. Which one you get is tied to how much storage you buy. 256GB and 512GB models get nine CPU cores, while 1TB and 2TB get 10. Additionally, the two smaller storage sizes have 8GB of RAM to the larger ones' 16GB.

This isn't the first time Apple has tied RAM to storage configurations, but doing that with CPU cores is new for the iPad.

The iPad is first and foremost about the display, and that's where Apple has really gone to town here. Previously, the biggest iPad Pro had a Mini-LED display that helped overcome some of LCD's downsides by counteracting bloom and achieving higher contrast between dark and bright areas of an image than before. It had darker blacks and very bright HDR highlights.

Now, both iPad Pro models have OLED screens. Not only that, but they have a new kind of OLED screen called "Tandem OLED," which stacks two OLED panels on top of one another to achieve higher peak brightness with a little help from the M4.

Details are scarce on exactly how Tandem OLED works, but we know that one of the panels is transparent to light generated by the second, so the light path goes from one through the other. A series of algorithms monitor and adjust this process on the M4 chip.

What matters for most users is the result, though, and it's spectacular. You get precise, per-pixel illumination for perfect contrast without any of the distracting blooming exhibited by the previous large iPad Pro's Mini-LED display, and you also get perfect blacks in the pixels that should be black, which is a dramatic difference from regular LED displays' gray-ish glow.

We're also seeing peak brightness of around 1,600 nits on highlights (1,000 typical), which is frankly absurd for an OLED screen. One of the main downsides of OLED displays compared to competing LED technologies has been that they can't usually reach the same brightness in HDR highlights. Not so here.

This display is about as good as it gets in any consumer device (including high-end TVs and smartphones). My only complaint is that when I watched the same content on the iPad Pro as I watched on my LG OLED TV, the image skewed subtly to green with some content. I would have never noticed it without a side-by-side, direct comparison, though.

On the other hand, the OLED screen is extraordinary, and even folks who aren't display nerds will absolutely see the difference. If you're looking for a high-end movie-viewing experience on your next flight, look no further than these tablets (or Apple's Vision Pro). The screen on the iPad Air is fine for that, but it's nowhere near as good as what you get with the Pro now. The screen is the main reason I would consider buying a Pro instead of an Air. It's not a small difference.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
My biggest issue is mainly just what is the software that requires it. What can it run that the previous 4 iPad Pros can't. Like I get it, OLED/thinner is great. But Apple always used to sell their hardware based on the experiences you could have with the software available - and along the way it seems like software is no longer an interest to them?

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
My biggest issue is mainly just what is the software that requires it. What can it run that the previous 4 iPad Pros can't. Like I get it, OLED/thinner is great. But Apple always used to sell their hardware based on the experiences you could have with the software available - and along the way it seems like software is no longer an interest to them?

They're just following what consumers want. And consumers are just looking to browse the web and watch Netflix. New software doesn't improve that. A better screen and being more portable does.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I think what we're seeing is that it's a lot easier to make big splashes with flashy hardware than it is software these days. They're trying with Vision Pro on both sides but people don't care.

We had ~5-10 years of insane peaks in mobile computing from 2008 until probably mid 2010s and since then everything is just completely iterative. I don't know what the best big thing could be. If i did I'd be retiring early.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Very expensive and high end hardware without the software to take advantage of it. Let me install MacOS on these tablets Apple. Dual booting would make this an instant purchase.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
They're just following what consumers want. And consumers are just looking to browse the web and watch Netflix. New software doesn't improve that. A better screen and being more portable does.

I don't think that's the case here. I think they're pushing/shifting a lot of the Pros in the creative professionals space, like design, art, etc., which is probably also why we got another revised pencil.

I think web browsing, video streaming, executive suite styled use are probably better suited for the other models.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I think about buying an iPad Pro just because the design and screen are so great, then I stop and realize I really don't know what I would actually do with it. I already have a phone with a large screen and a pretty lightweight laptop for when I want a larger screen (and of course a TV when I want the largest screen). Where does the iPad even fit in?

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Sometimes I think about buying an iPad Pro just because the design and screen are so great, then I stop and realize I really don't know what I would actually do with it. I already have a phone with a large screen and a pretty lightweight laptop for when I want a larger screen (and of course a TV when I want the largest screen). Where does the iPad even fit in?
Ipad Pro m4 is definitely overkill for most people. At least Apple finally released a 13" ipad air for people who want a big screen but don't need the fancy Pro parts or have $$$$.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil Village has an FPS meter.
Surprised nobody is doing a comparison between the previous iPad and this one.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Very expensive and high end hardware without the software to take advantage of it. Let me install MacOS on these tablets Apple. Dual booting would make this an instant purchase.

It has different software. Some of that makes it less attractive to some, and more attractive to others. Choice isn't bad.

laptops will get OLED soon enough (probably starting with pros) and M4 likely this year.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I don't think that's the case here. I think they're pushing/shifting a lot of the Pros in the creative professionals space, like design, art, etc., which is probably also why we got another revised pencil.

I think web browsing, video streaming, executive suite styled use are probably better suited for the other models.

All off what you said is true. But they're also pushing for those average users that just want the best and have more money than sense.