May 31, 2022
CNBC recently talked to therapists about rich people and asked them what sort of problems do rich people face:

KEY POINTS
  • According to therapists who CNBC spoke to, more often than not, the super-rich struggle with a spectrum of emotions that many others tend to share.
  • "Most people can't understand how rich people can have problems. They dismiss rich people's mental health concerns as insignificant and of diminished importance," said Paul Hokemeyer, a clinical psychotherapist who treats the ultra rich.
Can money buy happiness? Contrary to what some may think, a million-dollar paycheck does not necessarily come with a problem free pass.

According to therapists that CNBC spoke to, more often than not, the super-rich struggle with feelings of isolation, depression, and paranoia, amongst others — a spectrum of emotions that many others tend to share.

"Most people can't understand how rich people can have problems. They dismiss rich people's mental health concerns as insignificant and of diminished importance," Paul Hokemeyer, a clinical psychotherapist who treats the ultra rich, told CNBC.

A top problem that Hokemeyer's clients suffer from is chronic isolation.

"They live in such a rarified place of the top 1% where there are very few people who share the realities of their world," said the founding principal of Drayson Mews clinic, who shared that the super rich often cannot be fully certain if people like them for who they are, or for what they have.

"People tend to see you as lucky and happy — neither may be true," said Amanda Falkson, a psychotherapist versed in wealth counseling at Psychotherapy City.

She noted that they too face the gamut of emotions such as grief, trauma, losses and challenging relationships. But in addition to that, pressure on how the money is spent, and who to trust.

"Wealth can be pretty isolating … sometimes all eyes are on you to see what you do with your money," she said, noting that some clients face the pressure of how they hope to be remembered, and where the money should go — whether it be investments, philanthropy, or legacy building.

Wealth can cause people around the super rich to view them as objects, Hokemeyer observed.

People who are rich tend to be of higher social status, and those who live in diminished states of power are often drawn to them. The latter could see the wealthy as ladders to elevate them into more powerful positions, he said.

As a result, it can also be difficult to calibrate relationship dynamics of wealthy individuals whose partners may not have equal wealth or income, said Hokemeyer.

Often, the spouse who is more well-off may feel they are "being used" for their money, and the partner with less financial power can sometimes be stereotyped as a "gold digger" or looked upon negatively.

The sudden influx of wealth can often lead to existential identity challenges and strains on relationships, said Falkson.

"When there's no need to work, where do you get your sense of meaning and purpose and structure? Do you become a walking dollar sign? Where do I fit in socially now that I'm not part of my old world anymore?" she said, voicing some of her clients' concerns.

"Wealth doesn't take away our human needs. And having meaning and purpose in life are very important needs."

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao we have people dying out here cause they can't afford the price of insulin and we are supposed to feel bad for rich folk because they feel lonely? Fuck off.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
Very funny to write this as a plea for more sympathy for the rich lmao. Not the lesson to take away from this datapoint. But thank you all the same CNBC

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
If it's so tough being rich, then don't be rich. Unlike the "just don't be poor" 'advice' that permeates our society, "don't be rich" is really really easy to do.

Personally, that's a burden I'd bear with no complaints whatsoever.

Feb 16, 2022
lmao boo hoo

But I do notice that the "friends"/acquitances I know who are filthy rich are some of the most boring, uncultured people I've ever seen. They legit have no actual interests or hobby other than "golfing".

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
c97fd52e63323465bba51e8f59d5a0e8.gif

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
"Most people can't understand how rich people can have problems. They dismiss rich people's mental health concerns as insignificant and of diminished importance," said Paul Hokemeyer, a clinical psychotherapist who treats the ultra rich.

This is definitely true, because I'm having the hardest time giving any fucks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to help them carry that burden. Even if it means providing them by routing number, venmo handle, or whatever i need to do

being serious for a moment, of course rich people can face the same mental health issues others can, but it's much harder to sympathize when there others that face similar or worse crises without the safety net of wealth. Plus they could always presumably scale back their lifestyle and live more modestly

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
the only thing free in the free market is the economic power of capital.

The capitalists are subsumed by its power as well, and detached from their own humanity in pursuit of further wealth and/or the paranoia of holding onto it.

They can much more easily liberate themselves by relinquishing their capital, but since profit is theft that they then valorize as value, it must be taken from them by the laborers that actually produced the value.

May 24, 2021
They should write an article about "the problems poor people face according to therapists".

OH, THAT'S RIGHT! Poor people can't afford therapy. Silly me.

Fuck off with this shit.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely take mental health seriously, but I also don't need people who make more money than I can conceive of crying to the masses about how lonely they are.

Give up some of that wealth, contribute to society rather than exist as leeches draining us of all of our value, and maybe you won't be lonely anymore because you aren't living on some alternate plane of existence away from the real world issues that plague normal people.

Jan 23, 2024
I don't think anyone would deny that everyone has problems to work out no matter what level of wealth. But no rich person could ever convince me they have it just as bad or even comparable to the poor, even the poor in as rich a country as the US. For example, they don't even have therapists to talk to, much less journos to write pity articles about them on CNBC.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this thread proves the point. What's the threshold net worth where mental health concerns go away?

Oct 29, 2017
True wealth is having people around who genuinely care and love you. Getting rich can omit those things. I'm not rich, but I can feel alone at times. Thankfully I have friends and family to help me out. I consider the posters here at ResetEra to be a major factor on why I'm not depressed.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Man the brain rot on display as soon as we speak of rich people is amazing

That said, nothing seems really new in that article sadly, I was expecting some rare insight. Still, I hope those people find fulfillment somewhere.

Oct 29, 2017
User banned(2 weeks): Concern trolling; Account in junior phase
Seems like caring about mental health stops at a certain income level around here.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019

That said, nothing seems really new in that article sadly, I was expecting some rare insight. Still, I hope those people find fulfillment somewhere.
It's hardly brain rot. It's the logical conclusion of a pragmatic comparison of circumstances. People struggling to live can't be expected to concern themselves with the loneliness of people who will never materially struggle as long as they live, particularly while those with the means are, on average, unwilling to take the necessary action to mitigate the material suffering of those worse off.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Wealth is a cushion that allows for mistakes, and provides the space to risk, recover and retry.

If only we all had such safety nets.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

These people can easily solve the problems being wealthy apparently gives them by giving their wealth away.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
These people can easily solve the problems being wealthy apparently gives them by giving their wealth away.
that's not even true and it anyone saying this just shows they haven't thought of it for really long
Especially considering some people have some of the same problems while being far far less wealthy than these "rich" supposedly are. You can observe this is some circles where one person earns more money than the others

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how many mental health issues are caused by the richest of the rich maintaining widespread systemic economic injustices it sure does sound like mental health on the whole would be better off if we spread the economic resources more evenly across all of society. Just sayin.

Also. I have difficulties feeling that much empathy. For obvious reasons.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Like, I hope they get help in the sense that ideally no one should suffer, but 1. Complaining about the woes of wealth while hoarding it is not sympathetic, and 2. Expecting the well-being of someone infinitely better off to be high on my priority list is absolutely comical. Is their suffering, such as it is, unfortunate? Maybe so. But there are literally billions of people in the same or worse mental condition and much worse material condition on top of it. It's not as though the wealthy are unique in having struggles associated with those conditions. Not as though those in the middle class don't experience negative stressors that impact their mental health and definitely not as though the poor don't experience those things and worse.

So do I care? At the most rudimentary possible level. I'm going to prioritize literally everyone else, though.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
99% of my problems would be solved by being financially secure.

Wealthy people have practically every resource available to them while most others suffer.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
that's not even true and it anyone saying this just shows they haven't thought of it for really long
Especially considering some people have some of the same problems while being far far less wealthy than these "rich" supposedly are.
Then that means these problems aren't inherent to being wealthy to begin with and makes this entire article's premise moot.

Rich people can be depressed. But it's not because they're rich. As it is, this article just seems like a narrative attempt to garner sympathy of the plight of having oh-so-much money, which….miss me with that shit.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Outside of sympathizing with the rich, I honestly took this article as a challenge to learn to sympathize with people who exist outside yourself.

There are a lot of people who have lost the ability to sympathize with ANYONE who's not in complete lockstep with them. So many people just waiting for a justifiable target to spew vitriol at.