May 31, 2022
GamesRadar has reported that Super Mario 64 players has finally opened an "unopenable" door in Super Mario 64:

www.gamesradar.com

It took almost 28 years, but Super Mario 64 players have finally opened an 'unopenable' door - using a penguin and a sick backflip

The door was functional all along, but an annoying hitbox made it impossible to reach - until now

It's been almost 28 years, but Super Mario 64 players have finally figured out the impossible. A door which was previously thought to be unopenable has been opened, all thanks to an angry penguin and some fancy footwork.

A lone cabin door at the bottom of Cool, Cool Mountain has sat taunting us for decades, with a pesky wall hitbox stopping us from inching our way close enough to break through it. Those who've played the classic 3D platformer will know this as the cabin you emerge from after diving into a chimney at the top of the mountain, and cruising down a slide before receiving the Slip Slidin' Away Star. The door is fully functional, and Mario has always been able to use it from the inside to load the outside area and unlock the Star, but no one has ever been able to figure out how to get back in through it without using hacks.

That is, until now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmqFoojMeD8

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Couldn't we use the small baby penguin to get Mario pushed into the wall after a backflip, so that we don't have to use the Mama Penguin (and save some time on the cutscenes)?

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Couldn't we use the small baby penguin to get Mario pushed into the wall after a backflip, so that we don't have to use the Mama Penguin (and save some time on the cutscenes)?
I think the baby penguin acts differently, I could be completely wrong. Maybe it has something to do with the size of the hitbox not being big enough to push Mario through the wall barrier.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Those poor penguins have been bothered for almost 30 years and counting lol

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
The same sort of thing--"if this, do this...if that, do that"--has caused issues in my own games when I forgot to stick an "else" in there.

This would not have been possible if the logic were actually "if this, do this...otherwise, if that, do that."

Programming seems magical sometimes. Also, I love the logic that went into discovering this, and how folks are still finding new things in this game, all these years later.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

american-psycho-willem-dafoe.gif