May 31, 2022
A species of hornets that kills honeybees has been spotted in the U.S., the yellow-legged hornet (Vespa velutina), this hornet has its origins from Afghanistan, eastern China, and Indonesia and has in the past two decades spread to South Korea, Japan, and Europe and now has spread to the U.S. Scientists are trying to find a way to limit this threat to honeybees and to eradicate these hornets:

arstechnica.com

The hornet has landed: Scientists combat new honeybee killer in US

Researchers are working to limit the threat while developing better eradication methods.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Yellowjackets also have a beneficial role. They are pollinators and they help with pest control. I totally understand why scientists want to control that new species though. I would also destroy a nest if one was near my home.

OP
OP
May 31, 2022
Here's a USDA page about this species of hornets. According to the USDA, these hornets can create large nests containing up to 6,000 workers and gives a warning that if these hornets are "allowed to establish in the United States," they "could threaten populations of domestic and feral honey bees – some of which are already endangered – and other native pollinators." The USDA has even stated that just the presence of the yellow-legged hornet "could disrupt the pollination of many crops":

Yellow-Legged Hornet | Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

The yellow-legged hornet, a social wasp species, is a threat to honey bees and other pollinators. Learn how to identify this invasive pest.

The yellow-legged hornet (Vespa velutina) is a social wasp species that constructs nests above ground made from paper-like materials. These nests can be found hanging in trees and on structures such as barns, garages and sheds. Nests can be large and contain up to 6,000 workers.

Yellow-legged hornets feed on a variety of insects, including honeybees. If allowed to establish in the United States, these invasive pests could threaten populations of domestic and feral honey bees – some of which are already endangered – and other native pollinators. Their presence could also disrupt the pollination of many crops.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
They are on the rise in Europe unfortunately and they don't have a natural enemy here so they are spreading.
I got stinged by one of these last summer and my face started to swell immediately so I had to go to ER. And I'm not allergic to normal wasps.

OP
OP
May 31, 2022
According to the Georgia Department of Agriculture, the yellow-legged hornet "can be dangerous" to humans:

survey123.arcgis.com

YLH_Sightings_Form

The yellow-legged hornet (YLH; Vespa velutina) was detected in Savannah, Ga, in August 2023. This is the first confirmed detection of a live specimen in the open United States. We need the public's help to report suspected yellow-legged hornet sightings. Yellow-legged hornets can be dangerous, and we encourage Georgians not to approach and maintain a safe distance when taking photographs.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
We need more birds. That's probably not helping with this.