May 31, 2022
Ars Technica has reported that the first invasive human brain chip "has malfunctioned." Neuralink reported that "neuron-surveilling threads appeared to have become dislodged from the participant's brain," Ars Technica reports that "It's unclear what caused the threads to become "retracted" from the brain, how many have retracted, or if the displaced threads pose a safety risk."

This does not seem good that it's unknown what caused these threads to become dislodged from the brain and if the threads that are now floating around in this person's head is a safety risk:

arstechnica.com

Elon Musk’s Neuralink reports trouble with first human brain chip

It's unclear what caused the retraction or how many threads have become displaced.

The first invasive brain chip that Neuralink embedded into a human brain has malfunctioned, with neuron-surveilling threads appearing to have become dislodged from the participant's brain, the company revealed in a blog post Wednesday.

It's unclear what caused the threads to become "retracted" from the brain, how many have retracted, or if the displaced threads pose a safety risk. Neuralink, the brain-computer interface startup run by controversial billionaire Elon Musk, did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Ars. The company said in its blog post that the problem began in late February, but it has since been able to compensate for the lost data to some extent by modifying its algorithm.

Neuralink touts that its invasive implant includes 64 flexible threads carrying a total of 1,024 electrodes that can detect neuronal activity. Those flexible threads—described as thinner than a human hair—are inserted individually into the brain by the company's proprietary surgical robot. The goal is for the threads to be placed near neurons of interest so that signals detected by the electrodes can be recorded and decoded into intended actions, such as moving a cursor on a computer screen.

On January 28, the company announced that it has surgically implanted its brain-computer interface into its first clinical trial participant, 29-year-old Noland Arbaugh, who developed quadriplegia after a 2016 diving accident. The surgery took place at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix. Musk announced on social media on January 29 that Arbaugh was "recovering well" and that the initial results were "promising."

Since then, Neuralink and Arbaugh have released video and livestreams of Arbaugh playing video games, using only his implant to make moves in a chess game and control characters in Mario Kart, for instance. The only hint of trouble was on March 1 when Arbaugh answered questions in an all-hands meeting with Neuralink in which he said at one point: "Sure we're still working out the kinks and stuff. But once we get this figured out, there's no reason for [the implant] not to be out there," according to The Wall Street Journal.

The Journal was the first to report that an unknown number of threads have become displaced in Arbaugh's brain. Neuralink posted its blog confirming the problem after the Journal published the report.

It remains unclear why the threads moved from their placement, but one hypothesis that sources told the Journal is that there was air trapped inside Arbaugh's skull after the surgery, a condition called pneumocephalus. The sources familiar with Neuralink's trial said that the possibility of removing the implant was considered after the problem was identified.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm that guy, malfunction is the last thing I wanna hear

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I know the guy with the implant. I'm told this happened back in January and it was scar tissue that reduced the signals, but they just increased the amplitude and everything is working fine.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the recipient isn't in any discomfort.

In the weeks following the surgery, a number of threads retracted from the brain, resulting in a net decrease in the number of effective electrodes. This led to a reduction in BPS (Fig 04). In response to this change, we modified the recording algorithm to be more sensitive to neural population signals, improved the techniques to translate these signals into cursor movements, and enhanced the user interface. These refinements produced a rapid and sustained improvement in BPS, that has now superseded Noland's initial performance.

Looks like it's still performing fine.

Oct 25, 2017
adult-cochlear-implants-l-2048x1082.jpg

Cochlear Implant still 👑 (even though it has a few flaws, but it's still has more functional than that)

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The concern is less about the performance of the chip and more about the risk of injury to the brain.
Well, yeah. But even on that aspect it's so far so good. It's been months.

I'd be more concerned about the fact that there's a lithium ion battery strapped under a skull than some loose threads.

SpottieO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how true it is but I read some contents from a neuroscientist stating this is a known concern with all types of brain implants and that there is no good way to mitigate the risk. Dunno how true that is.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Given Elon's track record with his products, I'm just glad it hasn't killed the guy or turned him into a vegetable.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Is the idea of giving Elon direct and unrestricted access to your brain is absolutely terrifying to anyone else?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Is the idea of giving Elon direct and unrestricted access to your brain is absolutely terrifying to anyone else?
Why no, friend. I can assure you that Elon Musk, who is a genuine Earth-born human with an average number of limbs, would never utilize access to your brain for illegal purpose nor to manipulate to your frontal cortex to make you post positive tweets about him on X.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how true it is but I read some contents from a neuroscientist stating this is a known concern with all types of brain implants and that there is no good way to mitigate the risk. Dunno how true that is.

Is it possible to do safely at mass scale in 50-100 years? Possibly

2024? No way

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Musk's Neuralink has faced issues with its tiny wires for years, sources say

Neuralink's disclosure last week that tiny wires inside the brain of its first patient had pulled out of position is an issue the Elon Musk company has known about for years, according to five people familiar with the matter.
The company knew from animal testing it had conducted ahead of its U.S. approval last year that the wires might retract, removing with them the sensitive electrodes that decode brain signals, three of the sources said. Neuralink deemed the risk low enough for a redesign not to be merited, the sources added.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration was aware of the potential issue with the wires because the company shared the animal testing results as part of its application to begin human trials, one of the people said.
The company found that a subset of pigs implanted with its device developed a type of inflammation in the brain called granulomas, raising concerns among Neuralink's researchers that the threads could be the cause, according to three sources familiar with the matter and records seen by Reuters.

Last edited:
MAY 22 UPDATE: 85% of brain implant wires have detached from chip New

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
85% of Neuralink implant wires are already detached, says patient

An estimated 85-percent of Neuralink's brain-computer interface (BCI) implant threads connected to the first human patient's motor cortex are now completely detached and his brain has shifted inside his skull up to three times what the company expected, volunteer Noland Arbaugh told The Wall Street Journal on Monday.
Around 870 of the 1024 electrodes in Arbaugh's implant are no longer functional—an issue that allegedly took Neuralink a "few weeks" to remedy, reports The WSJ. When Arbaugh asked if his implant could be removed, fixed, or even replaced, Neuralink's medical team relayed they would prefer to avoid another brain surgery and instead gather more information.
Arbaugh's post-surgery side-effects support previous reports that Neuralink engineers have known for years about the implant's potential to move within a subject's skull.
We're still in the early stages of the PRIME Study and plan to provide additional updates as we continue to work with our first participant, as well as other participants in the future," Neuralink wrote in an update earlier this year. Below each blog post is the stipulation, "We do not guarantee any benefit by participating in the PRIME Study."
www.popsci.com

85% of Neuralink implant wires are already detached, says patient

In an interview, Noland Arbaugh says the company wanted to avoid further surgery.

Last edited:

Twinduct

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how much movement is required to snap these. Mainly thinking in lines of people who don't have the motor functions anymore

Dec 30, 2020
Jesus... I hope Musk's garbage can be safely removed from his head. Never let this asshole install ANYTHING. In your brain, your car, your computer, don't even let him dig holes, he's just an idiot who thinks he's a genius and won't hear otherwise.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
"When Arbaugh asked if his implant could be removed, fixed, or even replaced,"

Shouldn't you be asking these questions BEFORE they do the procedure?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Having "invasive brain chip" as a name seems like pretty decent warning to anyone considering this.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry for the people who are in dire enough straits to feel like they need these

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
And this is why most companies are risk averse when it comes to jumping right into human testing. Neuralink is lighting money on fire just for headlines, this is never going to be approved as currently iterated.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they'd be willing to go back in if it comes to that. It'd be a real blow to gain the ability he did and then lose it.

And this is why most companies are risk averse when it comes to jumping right into human testing. Neuralink is lighting money on fire just for headlines, this is never going to be approved as currently iterated.

You might be surprised. When the first story broke a lot of academics were quick to point out that the tiny wires detaching has been a problem with the technology for years regardless of who is implementing it.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Feel awful for that volunteer. You're an actual guinea pig for one of the most terrifyingly experimental surgeries ever performed and while the benefit of it working is incredible, the fact that it's now rapidly falling apart must be the most frightening thing that could happen. Fuck Musk and fuck whatever agencies or whatever okayed human testing, but man I feel for that person. Edit: typos ahoy

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Feel awful for that volunteer. You're an actual guinea pig for one of the most terrifyingly specific surgeries ever performed and while the benefit of it working is incredible, the fact that it's not rapidly falling apart must be the most frightening thing that could happen. Fuck Musk and fuck whatever agencies or whatever okayed human testing, but man I feel for that person.

A real Flowers for Algernon situation. I hope he can get into a stable place with the tech.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Who's surprised? There where the reports about the dead monkeys and next they announced they had put it into a human.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iPhones have bugs and they are one of the most popular and polished products on earth.

A first of its kind brain-infused tech is obviously going to have all kinds of bugs. This guy will be far from the last to experience them. I presume he volunteered because he had no other choice given his condition... which is very weird because it simultaneously gives him some chance while also taking advantage of him.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I feel really bad for the guy getting the ability to do more than he could after his accident and then losing it all over again. Hopefully the team can figure something out.

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023
There was a time when I might have thought it would be cool to have multiple news articles written about me where I am exclusively referred to as "The Brain".

Now, I am glad that is not happening to me.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'd rather be paralyzed and NOT have anything Elon Musk is associated with implanted in the one part of my body that still works.

I feel like you may be not coming in with a realistic perception of what paralysis and being trapped in your own body is and how that effects you, your mental health, your family, your freedom, ability to care for yourself… it's life-ending. Especially if you're living in poverty and completely out of options and money, but it doesn't matter, because you need to be fully cared for as your body whittles into nothing.

A family friend went through this after falling out of a fully extended bucket truck and it is truly devastating to see someone truly want to die and have no escape - this dude in particular was only 18 and didn't know shit about health insurance. Expensive prescriptions for the rest of your life and all the side effects that come along with that. Helicopter flights to be able to move across the country to live with your sister because your mother can't take care of you anymore. Custom beds. Transportation that can transport a completely paralyzed body around town for endless doctor visits - or you can rely on a service that also provides transportation if you can't afford that, but still costs a healthy amount of money and ends up being more in the long run. Pressure wounds, bed sores, etc. Having your body completely vulnerable to the world. Everyone outside of immediate family eventually moves on with their lives after a while and you're still stuck in that bed, isolated. How do you work and care for your completely paralyzed child as a single mother?

It absolutely destroyed their family in a way that is unimaginable. Then everyone moved on. The boy and the mother were isolated and he kept begging to die so she started seeking out pain killers from the streets to provide him some distraction from these thoughts, got addicted herself, got reported to authorities after opiates were found in his body, and was forced to send him across the country to live with his sister. Now the sister can't work and has lost the ability to pursue her dreams to be able to care for him, as well as losing the only other family member that could care for him to addiction. Harrowing.

I don't think anyone would care who made the Neuralink in this situation… as their family doesn't. They're so hopeful, their family share the positive articles every time one is published. It's the only miracle they have right now, an idea that probably won't even happen in their life times. It's not about Elon Musk, it's a dream of being able to live again. To be realistic, he probably has zero contribution to Neuralink other than being the face of it.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020
I feel like you may be not coming in with a realistic perception of what paralysis and being trapped in your own body is and how that effects you, your mental health, your family, your freedom, ability to care for yourself… it's life-ending. Especially if you're living in poverty and completely out of options and money, but it doesn't matter, because you need to be fully cared for as your body whittles into nothing.

A family friend went through this after falling out of a fully extended bucket truck and it is truly devastating to see someone truly want to die and have no escape - this dude in particular was only 18 and didn't know shit about health insurance. Expensive prescriptions for the rest of your life and all the side effects that come along with that. Helicopter flights to be able to move across the country to live with your sister because your mother can't take care of you anymore. Custom beds. Transportation that can transport a completely paralyzed body around town for endless doctor visits - or you can rely on a service that also provides transportation if you can't afford that, but still costs a healthy amount of money and ends up being more in the long run. Pressure wounds, bed sores, etc. Having your body completely vulnerable to the world. Everyone outside of immediate family eventually moves on with their lives after a while and you're still stuck in that bed, isolated. How do you work and care for your completely paralyzed child as a single mother?

It absolutely destroyed their family in a way that is unimaginable. Then everyone moved on. The boy and the mother were isolated and he kept begging to die so she started seeking out pain killers from the streets to provide him some distraction from these thoughts, got addicted herself, got reported to authorities after opiates were found in his body, and was forced to send him across the country to live with his sister. Now the sister can't work and has lost the ability to pursue her dreams to be able to care for him, as well as losing the only other family member that could care for him to addiction. Harrowing.

I don't think anyone would care who made the Neuralink in this situation… as their family doesn't. They're so hopeful, their family share the positive articles every time one is published. It's the only miracle they have right now, an idea that probably won't even happen in their life times. It's not about Elon Musk, it's a dream of being able to live again. To be realistic, he probably has zero contribution to Neuralink other than being the face of it.
There are MANY other technologies out there that have nothing to do with Musk. For example, EyeGaze technology which can track your eyes to allow communication and control.

Please don't think of Elon Musk as the sole savior in the world, he desperately wants to be thought of in that manner and shut out all other options, voices, and advancements.